Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp
Dec 13, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #316 of 1,922
I am seriously considering buying this. But I have to ask; has any of you noticed any distortion? 

Dec 14, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #317 of 1,922
  Just received my PHA-3 and I'm surprisingly impressed with the improved sound signature compared to my previous PHA-2 using my Shure SE846s. Not sure if it's due to the balanced mode, the different cable (Moon Audio Black dragon) or just the PHA-3, but it does provide a major upgrade in SQ imho.

More space, more definition and separation between the instruments. Bass is tighter.

Happy camper so far.

Yes, the balanced output will bring a clear improvements over the PHA-2.  The PHA3 has overall warmer tonal balanced compared to the PHA-2.  This is evident in boths SE & balanced operation.

Dec 15, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #318 of 1,922
how long it is taking to charge your device. mine is longer than 5 hours and still red light is on. do you use wall wart/plug or just computer?

also when i received a device there was already a charged tor run, is that normal?

Dec 15, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #319 of 1,922
Quote:
  how long it is taking to charge your device. mine is longer than 5 hours and still red light is on. do you use wall wart/plug or just computer?

also when i received a device there was already a charged tor run, is that normal?

It is normal for the device to come pre-charged.

This from Sony website:

Battery Charging (Approx) : Charging via USB: Appox. 15 hours from empty to full

You have to use a wall charger (AC-UD20) if you want to reduce the charge time.  6 hours, if you use the wall charger.   There were some members reporting charging issues with non-Sony wall chargers, so it may be a bit of trial-and-error unless you buy the Sony charger.  I bought the AC-UD20, and it works fine with the PHA-3.

Dec 15, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #320 of 1,922
You have to charge it full first time.

I use 4A modified wall charger that came with a USB hub. takes 2.5 hr max for full charge. never recharge if keep it connected to the wall charger. I mostly use it as a desktop device.

Dec 16, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #321 of 1,922
As I said earlier, the issue is europeen electrical regulation rules. PHA-3 with battery doesnt match it.

My personnal guess is they didnt want to waste time to find a work around for such a niche market so they just removed the battery to solve the local law issue..... They better have not made it available here like PHA-1 & PHA-2 :S

If that is true I completely agree with you.... but i mailed Sony in Italy and they answered that the PHA-3 has a battery.... really confused right now, do not know what to think.... in the instruction manual they sent me by mail there are no info about charging time... this make me think that the customer service here doesn't really know the product... for sure if it's without battery i will never gonna buy it... 

Dec 16, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #322 of 1,922

If that is true I completely agree with you.... but i mailed Sony in Italy and they answered that the PHA-3 has a battery.... really confused right now, do not know what to think.... in the instruction manual they sent me by mail there are no info about charging time... this make me think that the customer service here doesn't really know the product... for sure if it's without battery i will never gonna buy it... 

If you asked them about PHA-3....there is no mistake.
But you should get an other answer if you ask them about PHA-3AC :wink:

As an official Sony (Europe) Community Expert I can assure you that Europeen version doesn't come with a battery....which is sad... :frowning2:
You can check out my unboxing (english & german captions have been added) as a proof
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrCe_b0WhRY

Dec 16, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #323 of 1,922

If you asked them about PHA-3....there is no mistake.
But you should get an other answer if you ask them about PHA-3AC :wink:

As an official Sony (Europe) Community Expert I can assure you that Europeen version doesn't come with a battery....which is sad... :frowning2:
You can check out my unboxing (english & german captions have been added) as a proof

The problem is that i asked about the PHA-3 because on sony.it is the one that is being sold, no mention about the AC version... but in the mail they sent me the PHA-3 AC manual... so i believe what you are saying but i find it very frustrating and partially misleading by Sony... if it was not for this thread and you i would have bought it believing it was the same version sold in us and japan with lithium battery.... this is the link to Sony Italy http://www.sony.it/electronics/amplificatori-cuffie/pha-3   as you can see the one they are selling is the PHA-3 not the PHA-3 AC, and in the google search they advertise it like "amplificatore portatile per cuffie" i.e."portable headphone amplifier...".

Dec 16, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #324 of 1,922
Hi,
Anyone using PHA-3 with se846 via either Moon Audio's Silver Dragon V1 or Black Dragon V1 em cables balanced connected to the PHA-3.

From Moon Audio's website, Black dragon is described as having a warmer signature. Given the Pha-3 is also a warm sound amp. Which will have better synergy?

Love to hear from users of either cables on the PHA-3.

Cheers

Dec 17, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #325 of 1,922
what software usually you use when you run from pc? seems sony hi-res audio player software  does not support .ape format?  i tried other  did not get the same result.

have some ape format vinyl files would like to play. :frowning2:

Dec 17, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #326 of 1,922
  You have to charge it full first time.

I use 4A modified wall charger that came with a USB hub. takes 2.5 hr max for full charge. never recharge if keep it connected to the wall charger. I mostly use it as a desktop device.

Hi. Could you please give a link to this charger? I see many different 4A chargers on ebay but I'm not sure if they all work...Thanks!

Dec 17, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #327 of 1,922
  Hi. Could you please give a link to this charger? I see many different 4A chargers on ebay but I'm not sure if they all work...Thanks!

hi qsk78, its charger for Belkin USB 3.0 hub. you may need to cut cord and connect a micro usb cable to it. I used a usb socket that was for motherboard of my PC. Also I noticed that not all micro usb cables work for charging. I have a micro usb cable that comes with a usb power bank and this cable connected to usb socket that is joined to 4A charger, charges PHA-3 perfectly. bit complicated hah. 

Dec 17, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #328 of 1,922

The problem is that i asked about the PHA-3 because on sony.it is the one that is being sold, no mention about the AC version... but in the mail they sent me the PHA-3 AC manual... so i believe what you are saying but i find it very frustrating and partially misleading by Sony... if it was not for this thread and you i would have bought it believing it was the same version sold in us and japan with lithium battery.... this is the link to Sony Italy http://www.sony.it/electronics/amplificatori-cuffie/pha-3   as you can see the one they are selling is the PHA-3 not the PHA-3 AC, and in the google search they advertise it like "amplificatore portatile per cuffie" i.e."portable headphone amplifier...".

Yeah I escalated the issue to Sony Europe & they are aware of that and will fix the pages (don't know when though lol). As you can see, "portatile" is only mentionnned on the windows frame but it's nowhere found on the product page description.
Well the "good" side is that you read this thread and knew about it before buying it!

Dec 19, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #329 of 1,922

Yeah I escalated the issue to Sony Europe & they are aware of that and will fix the pages (don't know when though lol). As you can see, "portatile" is only mentionnned on the windows frame but it's nowhere found on the product page description.
Well the "good" side is that you read this thread and knew about it before buying it!

Yes that's really true... buying it and then discovering it was without battery would have been a huge disappointment!

Thanks again for your precious information 
smile.gif

Dec 19, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #330 of 1,922
Is there safe way to import the model without a battery to the US?  I only like to buy from reputable sites.  I'm looking to use the PHA3 as a desktop only item.  Can the regular PHA3 be used continuously with power connection and not have to worry about the battery running out when sitting at a desk?

Some background...I'm looking to get a pair of Z7s and a PHA3 to go with my ZX1 when I'm working in my office.  For travel, I'm quite happy with the sound I get from my ZX1 and IEMs.  I have no intention of taking the PHA3 off of my desk, nor really using the Z7s in other locations except for maybe at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back