Sony PHA-1 Review and Impressions
Jul 30, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #32 of 60
I have a quick question for PHA-1 owners.

Can the unit charge and play at the same time when being used as a DAC/Amp connected to iDevice?  The reason I ask is I plan on using this on long international flights that last longer than the 5hrs run time listed in the specifications.

Does anyone know if the Fostex HP-P1 or the Venturecraft Soundroid Typhoon can do this?

Jul 30, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #33 of 60
Quote:

Can the unit charge and play at the same time when being used as a DAC/Amp connected to iDevice?  The reason I ask is I plan on using this on long international flights that last longer than the 5hrs run time listed in the specifications.

Does anyone know if the Fostex HP-P1 or the Venturecraft Soundroid Typhoon can do this?

As far as I know, the PHA-1 will only charge when you turn it off and plugged in, and in DAC mode the battery will run down slower but will still go dead after a while.  In low gain and low volume your battery might last longer.  I don't know about the Fostex HP-P1, but most VC DAC/AMP won't charge when it is on... except the Go-DAP 4.0/V-MODA VAMP, which you HAVE to turn it on for it to charge.

Jul 31, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #34 of 60
Quote:

Not sure about the PHA-1. I own one but haven't used it on a long flight yet.
The fostex can be played and charged at the same time. I take a portable microjuice portable battery along and power the Fostex with it if the flight lasts longer than the charge.
Works well.

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #35 of 60
How does this PHA-1 performance with HD650 and HD800? I was considering CEtrance HIFI-M8, but unfortunately, it's not available in Tokyo.

Since the PHA-2 is coming, I wonder its performance with HD 650 and 800.

Thanks.

Sep 26, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #36 of 60
Dunno where to put this. Since my suspicion weighs to the dac-amp, so here it is. Since combining my new iPod (iOS 7) w/ Sony pha-1, there are crackles on my musics. The distortion usually appears in vocals (either male and female) and at the beginning of a music sentence. They appear not on whole-length music, but quite often and not always reproducible. I connect them using Lod-to-usb from alo audio, apple, and generic from pha-1 (combined w/ generic lod-to-lightning converter), and generic lightning-to-usb. All sound the same distortion, w/ alo's is the most prominent. I guess it's on the DAC part of pha-1, not the cables. The prominence difference between the cables may caused by the different quality between them (conductance, or else). Before w/ iPod touch 5 iOS 7, I combined the pha-1 w/ iPod touch 4 (w/ iOS 6) using the same cable and none of those crackles heard. Same result (no distortion) when I heard directly from the new ipod. So, is it from the DAC or the source or else? Anyone?

Sent from my One using Tapatalk 4

Oct 30, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #39 of 60
Is that connection cable provided in the package?i mean the iphone5 one

For the PHA-1 no, but you can get one decently cheap from V-MODA for $25.

Nov 1, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #40 of 60
  Does anyone know about this for sure now?  Important for me if I am to have it feed a JH3A.  Must say, I'm really happy with my CLAS, the original version.  Could the Sony power HE500 sufficiently?

As far as I know Apple has eliminated analogue signal from the 8-pined lightening port. Therefore the signal out of the lightening is absolutely digital. Presumably the digital signal to pha-1 has bypasses ipods' internal DAC.

Nov 2, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #41 of 60
I am keen to match the Sony pha-1 up to an iphone 5 and Unique Melody Merlin, however I am not sure if the impedence level of the Merlin of 12 ohm will cause issues. Can anyone enlighten me on whether this will cause a real issue in practice. thanks.

Nov 5, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #42 of 60
I am keen to match the Sony pha-1 up to an iphone 5 and Unique Melody Merlin, however I am not sure if the impedence level of the Merlin of 12 ohm will cause issues. Can anyone enlighten me on whether this will cause a real issue in practice. thanks.

when it comes to background noise it shouldnt be a problem. The only issue that might come up is the channel imbalance the pha 1 has. If you can normalize your music to a lower volume, that should allow the pha1 to run it without the imbalance.

Nov 5, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #43 of 60
Thanks. I should have the PHA-1 in a week so will test then.

Nov 8, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #44 of 60
Does the PHA-1 works as a desktop DAC/Amp on Win 8 and/ 8.1?
Seems like my two rigs on Win 8.1 can't recognition the PHA-1 with yellow exclamation mark in windows device manager.
But it works fine with my iPhone 5 though with good result though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back