Sony NWZS61X Cheap feeling?
Jan 14, 2008 at 10:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

clark9r

New Head-Fier
Just wondering if anybody had any impresions on the feel of the
four way control pad for the 600 series? They look like the buttons on a microwave to me.

I have not had a chance to play with one of these in a store that actualy worked. Most of the Big box places won't let you play with one, or they are non-funtional.

Most people have been raving about the sound quality and how much they love these, but I have not gotten a good feel for how people feel using these day to day. Do the buttons get sticky? Are there any reliabiliy issues noted so far. Any info would be helpful.

Thanks

Jan 15, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #2 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by clark9r /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wondering if anybody had any impresions on the feel of the
four way control pad for the 600 series? They look like the buttons on a microwave to me.

I have not had a chance to play with one of these in a store that actualy worked. Most of the Big box places won't let you play with one, or they are non-funtional.

Most people have been raving about the sound quality and how much they love these, but I have not gotten a good feel for how people feel using these day to day. Do the buttons get sticky? Are there any reliabiliy issues noted so far. Any info would be helpful.

Thanks

Been using mine for months, with no issues at all. I did get to play with the buttons on both the 6xx and 8xx series before I bought mine. Very solid feeling for a set of membrane switches. Good tactile feedback. Feels and looks just like the day I bought it. I also had reservations just from seeing the pictures, but that was laid to rest by poking at them at a Sony Style store. Since then I've seen them at a couple of Circuit City stores, but it's hit or miss whether the demo models are on display, functional, or completely trashed.

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:24 AM Post #3 of 22
I don't necessarily think them poor quality in comparison to other makers however they do feel a little cheap. Below the buttons the faceplate depresses as a whole and does not overall feel as well constructed as a microwave but it is in no way much worse than any other plastic pmp I have owned

Jan 18, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #5 of 22
Thanks to all who replied!

I went ahead and ordered a NWZ-S616 after reading all the reviews and looking at some youtube videos, I felt ok buying this sight unseen or felt. I ordered it from Sony direct because I had a gift card. It was a little more then you can get it for online but not much. I liked the 816 but thought I would use the FM.

Thanks again Clark

Feb 7, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #6 of 22
Just a follow up. I finally received the 616!

It doesent feel cheap at all. It has a really solid feel to it. I dont mind the use of plastic in cameras or DAPs, as long as they are designed right. there are no loose seams or flexing.

This is designed right

Clark
Nothing that can fall off or peal up

Feb 8, 2008 at 5:30 AM Post #8 of 22
Nope, doesn't feel cheap at all. I could drop it and wouldn't think twice about it. Look at the texture of the back too, pretty slick
biggrin.gif

I have the black version

Feb 8, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #9 of 22
In my opinion, the 61X series is not cheap feeling in the least. I demoed it at a store a while back, it gave me the same feeling as I get if I were to pick up a smoothed black stone from the bottom of a river bed. The quality is about as good as it gets.

Feb 8, 2008 at 9:20 AM Post #10 of 22
I have the 616 and it's doesn't feel cheap at all...infact I checked out the 816 at best buy and that seemed cheaper made than my 616...glad I bought the 616 after I seen it.
The 616 is very durable with it's plastic shell, and NON protruding controls and volume button.

Feb 8, 2008 at 12:24 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowon_1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....infact I checked out the 816 at best buy and that seemed cheaper made than my 616.......616 is very durable with it's plastic shell, and NON protruding controls and volume button.

Can you explain that?

Feb 8, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #12 of 22
next to my ipod nano 3g, other than scratching of the ipod rear panel, there is no comparison. the nano is sturdy, does not flex or bend, has no front face tearing nor flimsy front cover that depresses wven where there is no button.

finally, the sony's headphone jack is loose. as much as i think it has a good sound, i cannot forgive its build quality for the price. it is a fine machine and compared to other plastic daps, it is fair, but ... it is far below that of other daps such as the meizu m6 and ipod. scratching is something i care less about, just the fact that it flexes and bends and is in no way sturdy. cheap feeling has bnefits though: when it scratches, i could care less.

Feb 8, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you explain that?

When I seen th Sony 816 at best buy it just felt cheap....the way the volume nob protruded from the unit and the way it kinda wiggled...also the controls protruded off the unit also....can't say whether this cheap "feeling" translates into actually being cheap....another thing in my opinion the plastic shell of the 616 will be more durable than the metal shell of the 816...plastic tends to "give" or "bounce back" when dropped or mishandled while metal not so much.

One thing I didn't like about the 616 is the "flush screen".

Feb 8, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #15 of 22
Well maybe the buttons protrude for people who are used to owning a Walkman. Bend? Who tries to bend their DAP? I like the buttons because I don't have to get "used to it" like a scroll wheel. Also people who previously owned a Sony are used to the convenience of activating the Hold feature with one sliding button.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back