Sony NWZ-S639F vs Anything Else Sony (Apart from X series)
Oct 24, 2009 at 11:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

lz1gjd

New Head-Fier
Hi,
as I own NWZ-A816 and IPhone 3GS and I am still not satisfied with portable sound quality, I would like to upgrade once again. Is there anything better sounding than S63X in the current Sony series apart from the X (as I find them too expensive for me) ? I would also like to know if the S63X has at least the same sound stage and 3D effect that my current Sony has.

Oct 25, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #2 of 17
The S639F seems to be the best bang for the buck if you still can get it. (Many many display models in Walmarts and Best buys) I can only compare to the DAPs in my signature, but it is vastly superior to those (including the Clip+). I read that the S series is much better than the A series from SONY. It has 3D effects but you don't need those. You will get pretty good earbud with it (EX85) which sells for $60 stand alone. Go for it!

Oct 25, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #4 of 17
Yeah, it is a bit annoying when you are listening to Pink Floyd. That's about the only thing I don't like with the SONY... however, it is only an issue with "those" albums. I think it is either drag and drop or gapless, isn't it so?

Oct 27, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #5 of 17
Well, I ordered the S639 should arrive in a week and I hope I like it. At least its got four times the capacity of my current Sony NWZ-A816 player.

Oct 30, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #6 of 17
That was quick. It arrived for 3 days from England to my country (Bulgaria) and the shipping cost only 10 pounds sweet. It cost me 60 pounds for the player, with original but faulty EX82 headphones (I could not care less though) and usb data cable. The player itself is in good condition.

Now regarding quality.
I've tested it directly to my 1 year old Sony NWZ-A816 player with AKG K416P headphones. The S639 has a bit upped highs and lows, which would be ok if only the mids were not "downed" a bit too, at least compared to my A816 player. For most genres this would probably be ok, but for rock (metal - Rammstein mostly) the S639 sounds a little bit worse than A816. I do not listen to my music flat, I prefer the unique setting instead.

Frankly though, for this price the player with 16GB of space, FM tuner and this sound quality is a bargain.

Oct 30, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #8 of 17
One 'problem' I have with my sony s639 is that I find some rock(ish) music sounds kinda flat, maybe someone has some EQ settings which improve this? Other than that though, it's great.

Oct 30, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #9 of 17
The S639 is a very warm player. It is EQ-ed that way I would say. If you want more ear ripping Rock an metal sound, you must add a fair quality of mid range. That is the worst thing you can do to your music, but most people liking such music are favor such a thing. So, in the EQ you pull up the 2nd the 3rd and the 4th peg, the 3rd the most. The EQ will shape a hill. Try that.

Also, the EX82 is crap, don't mind that. It should have an EX85. It seems they only give you that in the States (according to pictures of packaging on UK sites). (note: edited in later post)

Also your headphones are just "too good" for an ear shuttering metal experience. I don't think they can produce that "notes into your face" experience. Get some brain plugs!

Oct 30, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #10 of 17
Well I'll give it a bit of a go then. Thanks. (funnily though, it's only on some songs).

Oct 30, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #11 of 17
Well, only the audio jack to me seems faulty, will replace it and will compare these headphones to the ones from my NWZ-A816 player. It looked the same way like them, except that they have no extension cord, it is just one piece.

Oct 30, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by lz1gjd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, only the audio jack to me seems faulty, will replace it and will compare these headphones to the ones from my NWZ-A816 player. It looked the same way like them, except that they have no extension cord, it is just one piece.

Yeah, my bad, I rechecked that on the net, EX82 and EX85 is the same (except cord)... and you don't like that? Man, those are good plugs! Repair the jack, it does worth it! May be it's just the metal part of the jack, not the cord! Scrape it a little bit!

Nov 1, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #13 of 17
I have yet to find out a song which sounds better on my NWZ-S639 than on my NWZ-A816. So far I am testing it with AKG K416P which are decent phones, except that mids sound a bit recessed. Is my player faulty or the SQ of S639 is a downgrade compared to this older model ? Of course not by much, but enough for me to make a difference.

Nov 22, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #14 of 17
Just to mention, almost everywhere I've read that the NWZ-S639 player does not suffer from hissing or at least very minor,but if compared to my NWZ-A816 it hisses significantly more.

Nov 23, 2009 at 8:37 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by lz1gjd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to mention, almost everywhere I've read that the NWZ-S639 player does not suffer from hissing or at least very minor,but if compared to my NWZ-A816 it hisses significantly more.

That must be an awful lot then - my A818 hisses so much. Maybe I'm just sensitive to it but I've had it for ~2 years and the hissing is really obvious to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back