Sony NWZ-A865 Release Date?
Jul 31, 2011 at 7:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

yoyo59

100+ Head-Fier
I have been seeing this new model pop up here and there, since I sold my X series awhile ago, im very eager to get this model to try out.
on sonys website it says its the best of the best sound quality, also its sporting an OLED screen again!
I have no idea when they are going to get released, but I tried buying from Argos in uk and there out of stock, also the same with play.com and amazon

it comes in two colours Black or White, imo I think it should only come in black.. but thats just me anyway

heres how they look and the specs

Features NWZ-A865

1. Premium sound quality - 5 Clear Audio Technologies: S-Master MX for high-end mobile sound, Clear Stereo, Clear Bass and DSEE technologies plus EX headphones
  2. Bluetooth™ - Enjoy wireless listening with Bluetooth™ headphones, and pair with other enabled devices (like home theatre or a car stereo)
  3. Wireless photo transfer - Transfer your personal photos (taken on a Bluetooth™ mobile phone) and watch via the Walkman® photo playback feature
  4. Touch panel screen - 7.1cm (2.8") touch panel display screen for razor-sharp, ultra-bright video playback in incredible detail and clarity
  5. Easy transfer - Media Go application allows you to transfer your favourite music, videos, playlists and photos to your Walkman easily. Drag and drop from Windows Explorer or iTunes
  6. Stunning design - Elegant, sophisticated design with curves to match, the A860 series is beautifully crafted to look as good as it sounds
  7. SensMe™, Lyric Sync and Karaoke Mode - Organise your music into different moods, playback song lyrics on screen in time with the music, and sing along in Karaoke Mode
  8. Language learning - Easily take control of playback speeds, repeat and rewind functions - ideal for audio learning content like languages
Please note our accessories are model specific and specifications may differ from country to country.

anyway does any1 know exactly when they will be ready to buy?

Aug 11, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #4 of 26
I am worried apart from this may have possibly its best sounding S master amp to date (wait & see) is this just a poor man's X model?

Is this the best Sony can do from a years break from making a touch screen model, no OLED, battery life on Sony's going backwards, sort after on the fly play lists still looking elusive and to top it off even though not Sony's fault here completely but it will be volume capped more than likely here in the UK which is fine if they enable us to turn it off in the service menu's unlike the last A845 model which must of killed sales alone here in the UK. 

And what happened to this model been android?

Unless Sony have a new X model in the pipe line which will sit just above this A model for the money it will cost new I would feel short changed despite what possible quality of sound this new S- Master MX amp might seduce our ears with even though having a 64gb version would be tempting for that storage alone on a player. 

I am wandering if Sony keep missing the point somewhat and are out of touch with able to make modern classic Walkman's anymore,(maybe the pressure of been outshone by Apple now in this arena) even though they showed with the X model albeit not perfect in every aspect Sony showed they could still make something special minus the poorly executed browser experience. 

Aug 11, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #5 of 26
Doesn't seem like this division of Sony has been very busy for the past couple of years.  Perhaps it's just going to all be in the sound.  I wish we could get a review from one of our fellow over seas folks.  Supposedly it was release already. 

Aug 11, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #6 of 26
I think it's a little high considering it doesn't have internet access or android, but not that far out of line.  Not when you consider the last 16gb version of the ipod nano sells for 179.  I will wait for a few reviews when they finally come out before I get one.  More interested in the new S Master amp.  The new 16GB E series is an interesting buy at 109. 

Aug 12, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #8 of 26
They came in at the place I work today.
8GB and 32 GB in stock here, very tempted to buy one here....

But same story, I live in the netherlands which means it is probably volume locked. I'm gonna take my TF10's to work tomorrow to try the display model to see if the volume lock is still on there...

Grz,

ric.

Aug 12, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #9 of 26

Quote:
They came in at the place I work today.
8GB and 32 GB in stock here, very tempted to buy one here....

But same story, I live in the netherlands which means it is probably volume locked. I'm gonna take my TF10's to work tomorrow to try the display model to see if the volume lock is still on there...

Grz,

ric.

Just pray that Sony doesn't put a non-capped model as display :p

Aug 18, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #10 of 26
hi everyone iam new to this site.
my first post/reply
i just got the A865 today. i previously hadd the x series walkman, and spent two days with the a845. i can say that the new uk A865 volume is louder  than a845 comparable to the x series loudness. which is a relief. i will use it only for music playback. i definetly think if people want an allrounder (mp3. videos internet, etc ) than this is definetly not for them. However I loved the Sound quality/signature from x series. and hated everything else that it claimed to do. this is kinda like an x series, without the added (horrible) extras. for me i prefer for a player to do ONE thing well than do to do loads badly. i will write a detailed sound review soon, but so far it seems like the new A865 it kept everything that made the x series  is  good and lost the annoying extras, that for me personally let it down.

Aug 18, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #11 of 26
I want to try a Sony player, and this new "A" series looks very nice.  I'll just use it for music, so I don't care about Internet and etc.. But I just can found the 16 model on Sony's website..

Aug 18, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #12 of 26
My god this walkman is loud, come to think of it. it seems to be louder than x series and this is the uk model
L3000.gif

Aug 19, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #13 of 26
I don't listen to loud volmee. But I was just suprised. Sony must have got a gazillion complaints about the capped previous walkman. I wish someone else could post thirty thoughts about this new walkman., coz so far for me this walkman is even better than my x series, and that's coming from some one who bought the a845 and returned it within two days and rebought the x again.

Aug 19, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #14 of 26

Quote:
I don't listen to loud volmee. But I was just suprised. Sony must have got a gazillion complaints about the capped previous walkman. I wish someone else could post thirty thoughts about this new walkman., coz so far for me this walkman is even better than my x series, and that's coming from some one who bought the a845 and returned it within two days and rebought the x again.

Good news on the volume front then from Sony, maybe they do listen to us (customers)?

Can you elaborate on why this is better than the X model?  (excluding obvious failed web browser experience the X had) so guessing anyway you are maybe talking about the comparison in SQ with the new S-master MX amp.

How are you finding the hard play buttons on the side as I found they had got it just right with the X putting them on top of the player so was perfect for when in a shirt or trouser pocket but looks like it would be a tad trickier where they are down the side of the player. 

Battery life is not as good to what Sony have been used to by the spec sheet, lost approx 10 hours playback on one charge to previous few generations of flash based Walkmans.  Hope it is not going to start degrading badly after 18 -24 months like the X battery did also!

Well the volume issue might be ticked off the list now, but I might only be tempted if this does sound better in terms of SQ to the X and is a 64gb version.

Aug 19, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #15 of 26
i cant say that is sounds better than the x series as some people might have got acustomed to the x series sig and will find everything else inferior. in my personal opinion the sound is fuller and  (more powerful sounding?) it still retains the x's warmth and instrument seperation. but when listening to this i (believe) the music travels in and out of my brain around my ears and back again.
basshead.gif
 i have been using the klipsch x10 and the phonak Pfe 012 (grey filters) there is more clarity with the phonaks than with x10s but then again there is more soundstage with the kilpsch. but that's because thy are very different sounding earphones if on the fence of buying, i will definetly advise people to wait for more user reviews  (who can express themselves better than me). or were possible have a listen, as sound quality is subjective to what your hearing/ears prefer.

to answer your second the buttons on the x series are better placed than on the side. you are right it is trickier to press them as they are close together and a small. i realised that i need a few seconds to feel them when its hidden in my pocket, to pause rewinf foward are close together, the pause button has a little bump/dot on it to make you aware its the middle one. so i guess that slightly helps, but i prefered the top buttons on x series aswell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back