Sony NWZ-A860 series or iPod touch with LOD
Mar 8, 2012 at 10:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

sekainohakaisha

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,
I'm thinking of getting one of these new a series walkman. Currently I'm using 3rd gen ipod touch with fiio e5. The earphones I used are sennheiser ie8 and klipsch image x10.
As an alternative from the new a series, I might buy a line out dock cable from fiio for my iPod touch (obviously, if the SQ between them is about the same, I'll get the cable)
Could anyone give me some comparison (in terms of SQ) between the a series and ipod touch (combined with fiio e5 and LOD)?
Thanks in advance.

Mar 9, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #2 of 12
A series Sony players( well generally most of the Sony Walkmans) will eat  any ipod for lunch SQ wise.... At least for my humble 40yrs old ears…With my X1050 and newly bought A865 coupled with Senny IE8 IEMs, default sound levels are more than enough. But if I ever want to listen with my over the head headphones, I always put an amp. in between because Sony players arenot powerfull enough to deal with my Grado SR80s...

Mar 9, 2012 at 5:26 AM Post #3 of 12
Thanks for the reply.. 
So am I right in saying that you own an A865? I was wondering about this as well, can you transfer your playlists from iTunes to the walkman? Or do you have to create them manually in the device? I imagine if it is the latter it would be tough work to do.

Mar 9, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.. 
So am I right in saying that you own an A865? I was wondering about this as well, can you transfer your playlists from iTunes to the walkman? Or do you have to create them manually in the device? I imagine if it is the latter it would be tough work to do.

Yes you can transfer songs & playlists from iTunes to your walkman in MTP mode via the Walkman content transfer software. But m4a & ALAC files aren't transferable.
*Install content transfer & open it
*Connect your walkman
*Drag&Drop the playlist from iTunes to the software

Mar 9, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
Yes you can transfer songs & playlists from iTunes to your walkman in MTP mode via the Walkman content transfer software. But m4a & ALAC files aren't transferable.
*Install content transfer & open it
*Connect your walkman
*Drag&Drop the playlist from iTunes to the software

Wait..I thought this player supports AAC files? Then why m4a files (which is AAC in iTunes) not transferrable?

Apr 5, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #8 of 12
I have an A867 (64gb model) on the way,...I can't wait. I just hope my FiiO LOD works with it. It's great on my S639,...

Apr 9, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
I don't know. 
It didn't work for my A829.

Edit: AAC files do work with my A829. Sorry for the late reply

That's alright. I went for the A866 in the end, and yes it is compatible with AAC. However if you transferred your songs via MediaGo software, it automatically converts it to mp4. If you transferred it through drag and drop it stays as it is (.m4a). I must say I'm happy with the options available for audio playback in Sony, and the conversion from m4a to mp4 does not make any noticeable differences to me.

Quote:
I have an A867 (64gb model) on the way,...I can't wait. I just hope my FiiO LOD works with it. It's great on my S639,...

Cool..hope you enjoy it. I personally find it a lot better than my iPod touch. I have no longer use my Fiio E5. I tried once and I noticed that the clarity is improved, however I'm also happy with the sound without adding amp.

Apr 11, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
No new Sony for me,...customs said no-no!!!

Did you buy yours from advancedmp3players? I did too before but since I'm in Australia my order was cancelled and I received the full refund. Later I bought it off eBay, it was a Malaysian/Singapore model I think. So you might want to give it a shot (if you really really want this player).

Apr 11, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:
No new Sony for me,...customs said no-no!!!

Did you buy yours from advancedmp3players? I did too before but since I'm in Australia my order was cancelled and I received the full refund. Later I bought it off eBay, it was a Malaysian/Singapore model I think. So you might want to give it a shot (if you really really want this player).

Yes, that's where I purchased it from. They charged me extra, shipped it, and I had to speak with FedEx to get it returned to the EU. Then I had to complain to PayPal BEFORE I was issued a refund. I got my money back,...but I'd rather have my new Sony!!!:mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back