sony nwz-a818 headphone options
Jan 13, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jay sun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find the sony is already a bit warm.
The Atrios are not an over kill?

Not to my ears, though I do put just a touch of EQ boost on the upper mid and high end for some music. I wasn't sure whether to attribute that to warm sound signatures or my aging ears!
confused.gif

Jan 14, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by fredman22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For starters, I'd go with a pair of Ety ER-4Ps. Finest sound in that price range and the Sony's EQ should shape it to your liking.

2nd this suggestion. The Sony paired with the ER4P is sonic bliss IMO. Perfect I may as well add. No hiss and a nice full sound with great detail.

Jan 18, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #18 of 21
Something seems to be amiss with the plug for my JBL Reference 220s (first I thought it was the player, but happy that it seems to be the plug/cord), so I used the Sony 'phones that came with my A818 today and was surprised how good they sounded (still not crazy about the shiny mini-Frankenstein-looking part that sticks out). I know they are touted by Sony as 'good' headphones but I was still surprised that they actually are! Without doing an in-depth comparison, they seem not much worse, if at all, than the JBLs.

What does everyone with these players (A810 series) think of the supplied earphones? How much 'better' are your preferred phones than these? (especially the Denon 551s which I am considering, but curious about comparisons with any other ones too)

Jan 18, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jay sun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
honestly I have yet to unwrap the supplied phones. I suppose I will give them a shot out of curiosity.

I figured that's what many people did so I'm curious about people's thoughts on them. You will be surprised. They are absolutely listenable and much better than any other supplied phones. Nice open sound with dynamics (not much sound isolation though). While being forced to listen to them the last couple of days, I have to say that on their own without comparing them side by side with anything else I am not in a huge rush to get new phones (although I'm sure I will).

The A81x with supplied headphones has to be, without a doubt, the best-sounding portable player out of the box, as advertised.

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #21 of 21
I tried the supplied phones and I was surprised. My Ec3's are the only other IEM I have experience with, so I am no authority by any means. Unlike the shure's there was no learning curve, they place themselves and the sound was pleasing. A bit warm but after nine hours with the ec3's in my ears the mellow treble was a welcome break. I was listing to Pietro Mascagni's Intermezzo Cavalleria Rusticana (a beautiful piece composed for strings), and found it to be a bit shallow, but if my only experience was with manufactures supplied phones these defiantly crush the competition. Unless of course you not looking for anything remotely neutral and maybe then you might like the bass the zune's phones produce.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back