Sony NWZ-A72x/A82x - possible hacks & mods?
Apr 21, 2008 at 1:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Walbaum

New Head-Fier
(I'm not quite sure if this thread belongs here or in the DIY forums - please move it if necessary)

Since I've first read the press release on the new line of Sony players, my interest on them has been rapidly growing. Unfortunately, the A82x and A72x still aren't available in my country. Due to my investigative (or, if you will, geeky) nature, I decided to spend the time of anticipation on gathering as much information on these players as possible.

This is how I ended with a small collection of some fairly available PDFs, of which the service manual is undoubtedly the most interesting. I was curious if there were any possibilities of modifying the players, especially when it comes to sound quality improvements (other than dreadful "effects" kindly provided by Sony) and memory upgrading. The latter was particularly important for me: what is the point of buying an expensive player if it can become outdated in no time because of limited storage capacity? I've seen tutorials on mounting new flash memory cards on Rio Karma, several Zen players and even on an iPod, so definetely in some cases such user-side upgrad is possible.

There comes the most dumb and irritating part of my post: although I enjoy reading complicated technical documents, my actual technical knowledge about electronics is - at best - extremely vague (and the fact that I don't actually own any of the players I'm so interested about makes me look only dumber). Therefore: I think I made some interesting and intriguing observations, but frankly I don't know if I understand things correctly. It's even possible that I'm completely wrong. So that's why I'm starting this thread: I'd like to ask you if I'm properly interpreting the following parts of the manual, or am I just imagining things and should find something better to do. Now to the details...
  • Enabling line-out. Apparently, after pressing a combination of buttons resembling those for Street Fighter/Mortal Combat secret attacks, the service staff - or one very curious user - can access the "Test Mode". This provides access to a variety of options, and among them - audio options. Once in the audio menu, Press the [VOL+] key to switch the HP/LINE, says the manual. Q: Could it mean that it would be possible to change the function of headphone output to the proper line-out? If yes, it easily makes an almost-killer feature of A7x/A8x.
  • Mysterious variables. It seems that in "Test Mode" one can turn on/off two variables: "AVLS" (somehow connected with the maximal output, manipulates the output volumes) and "sound pressure regulation". Q: Any ideas what does it mean? Can it have any significance from the "audiophile" point of view?
  • Enigmatic adjustments. We can also adjust "Clear stereo setting (with or without cable)" and the DAC settings: BASS-Gain/FC and TREBLE-Gain/FC. According to the user's manual, the "Clear Stereo" function enables individual left and right digital processing of the sound and can be turned on/off from the normal settings panel (in "Test Mode" it can be adjusted). I also wonder how messing with those hidden DAC settings can differ from using an equalizer. Q: Basically, the same as in point 2.
  • No memory upgrade possibility? There are two NAND flash memory units mounted on the main board, manufactured either by Toshiba or Samsung (depends on model), called by their pet names IC751 and IC752, and also known as TH58NVGxD1DTGxx. They are accessible and easy to localize on the board. There is a note, however, that tends to ruin my sweet dreams about future memory upgrading: IC751 and IC752 on the MAIN board cannot exchange with single. When IC751 and IC752 on the MAIN board are damaged, exchange the entire mounted board. Q: So, everything's integrated and no DIY memory upgrades for us, period?
So what do you think about it? Thanks in advance for any thoughts. And sorry if I'm spreading newbie-misinformation of sorts.

Recommended reading: page 27 of this thread on ATRACLife forums (link to PDF with service manual is somewhere there).

Apr 21, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #7 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jabada /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It looks like this guy got line out from A80x series:
Yahoo!¥Ö¥í¥° - ¡ÚiPod Dock Cable JsDock Factory¡Û

Hey, it looks really interesting
biggrin.gif
If got the lineout, the Sony player will become hard-to-beat one
biggrin.gif

Apr 22, 2008 at 5:34 AM Post #8 of 39
Ok, so I just played around with that test menu on my a829. From the looks of it, there is a line out on these players. When the player is playing the test tones and you press the volume up button, it switches to line out to play the same tone(and shows the volume playing at). So how did the guy in the japense post get it to work? Is that a custom plug he made with the wm port cable?

Apr 22, 2008 at 8:45 AM Post #9 of 39
so the Line-out comes out of the WM-port on the bottom then? Not form the HP jack on the bottom? That's a shame. If the Line-out came from the HP jack it would make things a lot easier.

greetz

Apr 22, 2008 at 10:01 AM Post #10 of 39
yeah it has line-out. you can actually just but an audio or video line out from sony. the audio line out costs 50$ us or so and the a/v is more like 199$. i should find the link but it is only available in japan

i am not sure how worth while it is though.

Apr 23, 2008 at 6:39 AM Post #12 of 39
have you guys played around with the DAC settings in the test menu? I've played around with it and you can adjust bass but not very indepth. the treble gain does practically nothing. but if you set the bass fc to 0.0 and the khz to 250 i get some pretty nice bass than before. anyone care to explain what these things are? the setting made the difference between the bass being a bop to a boom.

edit: for the record the test menu works for A81x models. to access it, go to the home screen, slide up hold, HOLD THE OPTION BUTTON AND PRESS THE FOLLOWING IN THIS ORDER: up, up, down, down, right, left, up, down, up, down, right, play/pause. let go and it should shut your walkman off. slide the hold switch off and it shoudl turn on and it'll take a few seconds then you'll reach a color test screen. after that explore in DAC. play aroudn adn tell me what you guys make of it.

Apr 23, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #13 of 39
i onlly wish thee were a way to change between drag and drop and sonic stage, would love to use this without booting up into windows. but... at the same time, i love the recording functions of my 600 series.

600 is also the same series of buttons to enact hardware mode

Apr 23, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #14 of 39
I just fumbled around with the test menu. In fact, I noticed that DAC treble gain actually changes the sound. I really like bright sound and my EQ is very brightly-tuned, but I had problems with sibilance with many tracks. So, what I did was try different FCs, and 10KHz(Gain: +1.5db) seems to lower the sibilance, as it increases only the frequencies above. Now I can lower some of the bars in the EQ and I get basically the same sound, minus the sibilance(not 100% less, but lets say 60%). Btw, 1KHz test tone @ 25 volume is really a pain in the... ears.
biggrin.gif
(20Hz is kinda cool though, as well as 20KHz)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back