Sony NWA3000 question
Mar 19, 2007 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

John_M

100+ Head-Fier
Is there any hacked software for this that will let me use it with iTunes?*

*this may be a completely stupid question and the answer may be an obvious "no."

Mar 21, 2007 at 7:30 AM Post #3 of 15
Obviously don't want to have to shift my music collection over. I really wish you didn't have these stupid format wars...

On a separate note, do any mp3 players let you link directly to a USB drive?

Mar 21, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #6 of 15
you poor guy, Sony programs sucks so much that it is not funny...
I had my nw3000 for 4 days, and I spent more than 20 hours with connet and it was a nightmare my pc broke down, after reformatting and installing it all over again, it would not recognice the device, then I tried calling sony, They told me I had problems because I was stealing music !!!!! I do not download or steal music....
It sounds very good the device but the software is a pain in the neck.

If it was possible to rockbox it I would buy one in a heartbeat, because off the looks, SQ and the batterytime...

Mar 21, 2007 at 5:23 PM Post #7 of 15
I got an A3000 and I used to have an NW-HD1 too and I've 2 computers, both with Sonic Stage. No problem at all with SS 4.3; as long as the music was imported without DRM the first time; I can import files (alli n ATRAC in my case) from the player to the computer and vv as much as I want, and also between the different DAPs and PCs.

Mar 21, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #8 of 15
correct me if I'm wrong, but won't A3000's play non-drm'd AAC files anyway? As long as they aren't purchased on itunes, you should be good to go.

Also, itunes doesn't support ANY players other than the ipods (despite the best efforts of certain anti-drm groups) - and the last players apple will support (well, second last after Microsoft players) would be Sony.

Actually, side rant, people buying Zunes to hook up to itunes would be pretty hilarious, and damn good for apple...

And as for those that have used Sony Software in the past, ya it blew, bigtime. When I purchased my A3000, the sales rep told me to avoid connect like the plague and use the newest rev SonicStage instead (Maison Sony salespeople are only 85% useless I guess).

But the new SS 4.3 (I'm actually still using 4.2) is solid, decent software. I think if one were to measure both its and itunes' merits versus both of their disadvantages, we would see two bloated, flawed, but ultimately good enough ways to manage music. In the end though, I would give the edge to iTunes.

Mar 21, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #9 of 15
The problem's this. I currently have an iModded 4G ipod. I also have a Larocco PRII amp. They don't look that nice together. One's white, the other's silver. I have been casting envious glances at the NW-A3000, which is pretty gorgeous looking and will match my amp. I can imagine it sitting on top of the PRII even now.
smily_headphones1.gif

The only problem's that my music collection is in Apple Lossless/ iTunes. I'm going to rip a load of my friend's CDs quite soon so I need to make a decision... no point ripping them to Apple Lossless if I'm going to get the NW-A3000.

I asked about the USB drive because the NW-A3000 only has a 20GB capacity. If it's possible somehow to link them (and I can see that this may be unlikely) I'd have a beautiful looking little system with access to instant access to 500GB of music in a lossless format.
smily_headphones1.gif

It's very annoying that Apple had to insist on their own lossless format, probably for anti-competitive reasons.

Mar 21, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #11 of 15
Mar 21, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think Sony Support AAC in hardware only software conversion via SonicStage. But I could be wrong.

I think its a mistake to go with the Sony over an iMod. Get a nicer skin if colour bothers you.

There aren't any nicer skins.
smily_headphones1.gif
The silver NW-A3000 with its silver base station will go beautifully with my amp. And I don't back myself to hear any meaningful difference from the iMod in a double-blind test, assuming I use the line out from the NW-A3000.

Quote:

My 2 cents is to Rockbox the iPod and use Flac.

BTW the A3000 is an old model now. Theres now this one...
http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/01/s...a800-launches/
http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/05/h...s-new-nw-a800/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcrQm...rg%2F%3Fp%3D84

"...Outfitted with up to 8GB of memory..."

Of course, I'm still hoping someone will tell me it's possible to hook up my 500GB USB drive to an mp3 player somehow.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I did have another question on this subject but unfortunately can't remember what it was.
frown.gif

Mar 22, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #13 of 15
Its not the SQ thats the problem with the Sony.

I use 4.2/4.3 a lot with my HiMD. Never had any issues with it. But I don't like it. and I wouldn't use it for my main player or to manage my library. Ditto iTunes for that matter.

If you are archiving your library, I would pick an open format.

Mar 22, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use 4.2/4.3 a lot with my HiMD. Never had any issues with it. But I don't like it. and I wouldn't use it for my main player or to manage my library. Ditto iTunes for that matter.

If you are archiving your library, I would pick an open format.

Sparky191 couldn't have said it better, just use an open format.

Mar 24, 2007 at 5:47 AM Post #15 of 15
i just throw mp3s into my Sony NW S205F without doing conversion though i still gotta import into sonicstage. What I do is make a playlist of what i want, dragn drop into sonicstage, transfer to player, play via playlist. sonicstage does piss me off alot but then again there arent many mp3 players that has good audio quality and looks great. I hate itunes anyhow. I still got my sis's 4GB Ipod Mini here without a broken clickwheel lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back