Sony NW-ZX300 with Unbalanced Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro - Eugh!
Feb 8, 2018 at 12:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

o33o

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I've been lurking for a while now, but confusion around the sound I'm getting from my ZX300 has brought me into the light!

I own an AK70 MKII, which sounds decent when paired with my DT 1990 Pros using the unbalanced connection. But, something was missing sound-wise and I thought I could do better.

I managed to find the ZX300 on Amazon the other day for £471 and snapped it up, directly because of all the positive reviews here. It's still around that price if anyone's interested in taking advantage of the price drop.

When plugging my unbalanced DT 1990s into the ZX300, it sounds pretty bad and especially when compared to the AK70 MKII. It also feels underpowered, although that could be fixed by uncapping the volume (the instructions are here somewhere...). I've read here that the issue is likely to be because I'm not using the balanced output. I have some Westone UM Pro 50s and I could buy a 4.4mm balanced cable for it, but it's going to be a lot of hassle if it doesn't drastically improve the sound. The DT 1990 Pros would have to be sold too and perhaps replaced with something compatible with the ZX300.

So, is the unbalanced output on the ZX300 really that bad and should I stick with it because balanced is super good? Or, is the ZX300 overhyped and I should stick with my AK70 MKII?!

Thanks in advance for any help that's offered! :k701smile:

Feb 9, 2018 at 2:54 AM Post #2 of 2
Well... I stuck with it and it's getting better (with my UM Pro 50s, at least)... I missed the posts about burn-in the first time around. Seems like the sound's getting better by the minute!

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back