Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 5, 2020 at 7:39 AM Post #44,311 of 45,723
I dont see sn
Blimey, mate! :beerchug:I thought after switching to 1Z
1A would have twice that, 256 of physicaL memory. :wink: So no wonders.. ;(
You can achieve that if you convert your flac and DSD to MP3 :D

Sep 5, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #44,312 of 45,723
I read a couple of days ago a post from you @MrWalkman saying that you found the sound of the Walkman stock firmware "boring" after been listening to one of your mods for a while. I presume you were referring to your NW-WM1A.

In any case, I agree with you, as I had the same experience after uninstalling your WM1AZ+ 3.02 (1.3) mod and installing the stock 3.02. I never thought that one day I would find the stock Walkman sound "subjectively" lifeless, boring. That shows how good your mods are.

But also, it makes me reflect on the fact that I haven't read a statement like that here from an owner coming back to a NW Walkman after spending sometime listening to another DAP. Not even from DPM-1Z owners! Instead, I find comments like one is better than the other driving X or Y headphone, or some @Whitigir educative posts explaining how one has better design and internals than the other, and the occasional superlative post from a proud owner stating that one "totally destroys" the other, which I don't take too seriously etc. And all this makes me wonder how an objective person will find the stock sound of a more expensive product like DPM-1Z after using a Walkman with @MrWalkman (and perhaps with one of @Nayparm) mods for a while.

Anyway, I think anyone looking forward getting a TOLT DAP should check if it has mods from @MrWalkman available before doing it :)
What made you feel that way about the DMP-Z1? I’ve listened to it, and was tempted to get it. But I realized, I would use it like my TA, which is to say everyday, but at my desk. So if I already listen to my 1Z and 1A in bed or while relaxing, I wondered if there was any real point in getting it. Have you tried it?

Sep 5, 2020 at 8:15 AM Post #44,313 of 45,723
Yes, that is the only issue that somebody reported. I honestly don't know how it could happen, but if anyone owning a WM1Z wants to have the battery charging image feature, they can now use the separate installer to apply it, as the mod will not install it automatically.
@ MrWalkman:
After installing 1.4 for the cover image fix on my WM1Z, it looks normal showing 256GB in the unit information. I ran your new Revert fix, just to be safe, and got the following instructions to restore to factory settings.
Does it really need a "restore to factory settings", which would reset the play time, or are the instructions just for the A30Series DAP, as that is what it refers to? Either way, I would not do the restore yet, as I do not see any problems with the internal memory amount. Just thought I would clarify with you....
1599307795996.png

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #44,314 of 45,723
@ MrWalkman:
After installing 1.4 for the cover image fix on my WM1Z, it looks normal showing 256GB in the unit information. I ran your new Revert fix, just to be safe, and got the following instructions to restore to factory settings.
Does it really need a "restore to factory settings", which would reset the play time, or are the instructions just for the A30Series DAP, as that is what it refers to? Either way, I would not do the restore yet, as I do not see any problems with the internal memory amount. Just thought I would clarify with you....

Oh, well, I'm a little idiot :D

I totally missed that text. I used some code from another tool. Ignore the factory reset thing. You don't need to do a factory reset after applying this feature.

Regarding the feature itself and the WM1Z, as long as you see the correct amount of internal storage, feel free to use it. That is the only "issue" that someone had on their 1Z.

Edit: I just modified the text, and reuploaded the tool.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #44,315 of 45,723
I have an AK SP1KM currently but keep getting tempted away with a WM1A/Z. If anyone else has made the change, what prompted you and what did you gain/lose?

I’ve also started using Roon and Eq’ing for my headphones and IEMs with its DSP has also made a big difference. EQ on the SP1K seems very subtle, how do people find it on the Sony?
I made this change. The 1z has a more coloured sound imo. It's got a heavier note weight, nicer bass body and very clear sparkly treble. The sp1k is a lot flatter. I found the music more engaging through the 1z. Also battery life is amazing.

Sep 5, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #44,316 of 45,723
I am doing Sensme with the trich @Vitaly2017 said. Import songs from micro SD card without transferring to pc
I am first testing on my smaller 400GB card with 12.111 tracks on it. Is so slow even for short songs take a while

Sep 5, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #44,317 of 45,723
What made you feel that way about the DMP-Z1? I’ve listened to it, and was tempted to get it. But I realized, I would use it like my TA, which is to say everyday, but at my desk. So if I already listen to my 1Z and 1A in bed or while relaxing, I wondered if there was any real point in getting it. Have you tried it?

I haven't tried the DMP but if I would been thinking on getting a TOTL DAP (like DMP-Z1, Dave etc), I think I would be a bit concern that one day I may find it less appealing.

Your point about DMP vs TA from a use case perspective is valid. I haven't hear the TA, but I think the pragmatic / practical side of me would choose the TA flexibility over DMP if I have to, even if they were retailing at the same price.

Sep 5, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #44,318 of 45,723
I did this comparison, recently. I wasn’t blown away. That’s not to say that the DMP-Z1 isn’t good, but I’ve been so spoiled with the gear I already have, it’s hard to jump into that for the price. The DMP-Z1 I think is good. I would like to get it say, for 350,000 yen used. I really don’t feel it’s worth it’s asking price, and that’s after listening to it at the Sony Store in Ginza for 2 hours. I do think it's a wonderful collectible and I want to buy it, but I also need to be responsible.🤷🏻‍♂️
47FB63C6-09DB-4D20-B630-54C03D9D5A08.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #44,319 of 45,723
License fees - as allways Apple wanted more, Sony gave less :)
No, it has nothing to do with license fees.

Apple warned all developers 2 years ago that there was a change coming to where drivers can be loaded from and that some API's were going to be removed.

Last year at their WWDC, Apple notified developers that the driver load location change was going to be enforced in macOS Catalina. So it took Sony almost a year to make the change. This change could have been done in 5 minutes by a junior developer.

This year at Apple's WWDC, they told developers that all drivers for Big Sur need to use the new APIs as the old ones will no longer be available. So how long will it take Sony to support Big Sur? My guess maybe in a year.

Sep 5, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #44,320 of 45,723
Just sharing with you 2 of the info from the modifying thread. Thought it could be useful for some.

I had the opportunity yesterday to compare my 1A modded by Nayparm with a 1A stock.
Both in alternative firmware ++ switched to 1Z.

Well there is no real match.
The 1A modded goes further.
- darker background, so you can hear more inflections and breath
- wider and deeper stage, with easier location of the instruments
- better-held basses
- more precise image, higher definition and resolution
- lusher sound

Is it worth it ? It's up to everyone to judge but I really appreciate what I hear on my WM1A.
Great job @Nayparm :thumbsup:

Also, with a friend we were able few weeks ago to compare Nayparm modded WM1A with ++ switched to 1Z to a Nayparm modded WM1Z in stock 3.02. So same exact hardware mod.
We both preferred the 1A. It sounded clearly better.
Great job @MrWalkman :thumbsup:

Sep 5, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #44,321 of 45,723
Just need a 3.5 Pro balanced to 4.4 Pentaconn and see what the WM1A & DEVA can do together...
Deva.jpg

Q-6

Sep 5, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #44,322 of 45,723
Someone in another thread said the WM1Z is neutral. That is not what I read in this thread, which I trust more. If it was neutral, I would not have been told it is a poor pairing with the EE Phantom.

The Walkman 1Z has never been referred to as neutral ever, except by people that don't know. Even Sony introduced the 1Z as not neutral................with the 1A Sony introduced closer to neutral. But in the days before 2.0 the 1Z was more syrupy and slow. It was darker, then 3.01 came out making it brighter and faster, then 3.02 came out and continued with the cleaner sound. But the 1Z has a robust bass boost and tweaked up treble. It's an artistic take on a V signature. The interesting thing was before MrWalkmans steroids arrived the 1A was weak and thin. The 1Z was the authoritative choice for many. And while 1A/1Z+ and 1A/1Z++ do improve both players in the same direction, the 1A woke up. Though now it is still a question of taste which is better, some IEMs or headphones like the treble boost of the 1Z. Though if your not used to the treble boost the 1Z can come off bright, despite the bass boost, being the extreme on both ends. Any of us that are infatuated now with the 1A are probably mesmerized by a character of the 1A mids, along with a faster and charismatic bass dept. There is an ongoing surprise in the 1A sub-bass that was never ever there before. These details with the 1A seem to marginalize the love affair that folks had with the 1Z before. So on paper the 1A is maybe still behind the 1Z, the soundstage may still be thicker front to back on the 1Z? But it's the extended expansion right to left and imaging that makes the 1A so much fun. Also there is a special clarity that's new and never heard before; at least for me? So it may be that the treble boost in the 1Z is real detail but the 1A now gets detail from another direction, maybe more authentic? The 1Z is still very amazing and can still be the better DAP for some headphones. Still after listening to the 1A for 3 weeks straight the 1Z brightness sounds................almost un-needed? IMO :wink:

Just because something like the 1Z is not neutral does not mean it can't go with V or U shaped IEM signatures. The IER-Z1R is U or V shaped and goes great with the 1Z. There is a level though where both the bass or treble can extend up being the character of DAP and IEM before it crosses the line. IMO

That's the whole synergy thing mixing warm and cold characters to arrive somewhere less drastic, but it does not always have to be because we are dealing with Audiophile levels of reproduction that have many many variations in tone and potentials to change.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #44,323 of 45,723
Yeah, the only "issue" is that for WM1Z owners, they would see 128GB as internal storage instead of 256GB, if they would have the feature applied.
Much appreciate your work! The DSEE HX AI is really impressive!
Am I right to reinstall the 'WM1AZ++ 3.02 (1.4).exe' freshly downloaded by now and it will not modify the charging icon, which if there was the charing icon and was reinstalled with the new firmware, the charging icon will be gone?
Or do I need to use the exe in the zip in the folder 'WM1 Battery Charging Feature'?

Sep 5, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #44,324 of 45,723
Much appreciate your work! The DSEE HX AI is really impressive!
Am I right to reinstall the 'WM1AZ++ 3.02 (1.4).exe' freshly downloaded by now and it will not modify the charging icon, which if there was the charing icon and was reinstalled with the new firmware, the charging icon will be gone?
Or do I need to use the exe in the zip in the folder 'WM1 Battery Charging Feature'?

Oh, it's not about the small battery icon.

You know when your smartphone is turned off and you plug in the charger? A battery charging image will show up.

When the battery is empty on a Walkman, and you will try turning it on, nothing will show up on the screen. With the battery charging image feature installed, the Walkman will show a battery empty image, instead of not showing anything.

1599326836222.png

Also, if you plug in the charger when the battery is empty, an image of a charging battery will show up.

1599326857057.png

Once the battery will be charged enough, the Walkman will start up automatically - but until then, you will see this battery charging image instead of not seeing anything.

The feature will be automatically installed on a WM1A if you install one of the 1.4 mods. For a WM1Z, you can install it using the separate smaller installer, the "WM1 Battery Charging Feature".

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #44,325 of 45,723
Oh, it's not about the small battery icon.

You know when your smartphone is turned off and you plug in the charger? A battery charging image will show up.

When the battery is empty on a Walkman, and you will try turning it on, nothing will show up on the screen. With the battery charging image feature installed, the Walkman will show a battery empty image, instead of not showing anything.

1599326836222.png

Also, if you plug in the charger when the battery is empty, an image of a charging battery will show up.

1599326857057.png

Once the battery will be charged enough, the Walkman will start up automatically - but until then, you will see this battery charging image instead of not seeing anything.

The feature will be automatically installed on a WM1A if you install one of the 1.4 mods. For a WM1Z, you can install it using the separate smaller installer, the "WM1 Battery Charging Feature".
Typical how long does it take before the unit has enough power to turn on?

I'm concerned about screen burn-in from displaying a static image.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back