SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 13, 2020 at 1:30 AM Post #43,036 of 45,723
So basically just by adding those lines any non MQA file will be read as MQA and upsampled?

No the program detects which are MQA files without tagging and just tags them for you. Saves you going in there yourself.

Weird thing is that some songs from 1 album get detected as non-MQA, so I have a few albums that have 2/12 songs as non-MQA

Aug 13, 2020 at 4:11 AM Post #43,037 of 45,723
I've been going through different combinations and currently have my 1Z with stock 3.02J vs 1A with Chameleon (to 1Z) and am finding that I prefer the Chameleon 1Z. Going to try the 1A/Z+ mod next... if I can get away from listening lol.
i done test the chameleon on 1a, 1a/1z+ had the detail more emphasize with better/controlled bass. But both is definite improvement over the stock 1a, thanks a lot for the mods @MrWalkman . I can keep the 1a for years to come :)

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 5:41 AM Post #43,039 of 45,723
Addicted to Audio in Australia is doing the WM1A for AU$1299 - someone here can recommend a shipping agent

Aug 13, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #43,040 of 45,723
It is a Curious Cable USB A-B.
Hmm. Then I don’t see why it shouldn’t work. Works well with my setup. Unless your dac input is faulty? Did you try hooking up anything else to it? Or a different cable perhaps?

Aug 13, 2020 at 6:23 AM Post #43,041 of 45,723
Hmm. Then I don’t see why it shouldn’t work. Works well with my setup. Unless your dac input is faulty? Did you try hooking up anything else to it? Or a different cable perhaps?
Yes, im very confused also. Other sources work with my DAC usb input no problem, same cable as well. DAC and cable cannot be faulty. Maybe its just a compatibility issue between the Sony Player and my particular DAC's? Unfortunate that I paid quite a lot for this Sony adapter cable but doesn't work with my DACs.

Which DAC are you using?

Aug 13, 2020 at 6:37 AM Post #43,042 of 45,723
Has anyone compared the wm1a/z+ on 1Z to wm1a/z+ 1Z to 1A? I'm currently have wm1a/z+ on my 1Z with J region which is lovely but still hear some sibilance on vocals, so was think of switching 1Z to 1A to see how that sounds.

Aug 13, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #43,043 of 45,723
So I was away for a while... not following this thread and found myself missing alot..
The last update I did for the fw mod.. is DMP-Z1 1.02 with the region J on my 1A
when i reached pg 274x... the other day... there were more changes and i started trying MrWalkman's WM1 Mods.. the WM1A/Z++..
I had switched to 1Z following the instruction to reload the fw again..

And somewhere in the pages tthe talk of DSEE HX AI appeared..
Now, after rushing thro all the pages in this thread... I found I dont have this DSEE HX AI enabled...
I can only see DSEE HX...
So how i can i enable this to DSEE HX AI? Sorry if this was mentioned .
I am on version 3.02... i am still on pg 284x..

rgds

Aug 13, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #43,044 of 45,723
Yes, im very confused also. Other sources work with my DAC usb input no problem, same cable as well. DAC and cable cannot be faulty. Maybe its just a compatibility issue between the Sony Player and my particular DAC's? Unfortunate that I paid quite a lot for this Sony adapter cable but doesn't work with my DACs.

Which DAC are you using?
Yes possible I’m using FiiO K5 Pro.

Aug 13, 2020 at 7:58 AM Post #43,045 of 45,723
So I was away for a while... not following this thread and found myself missing alot..
The last update I did for the fw mod.. is DMP-Z1 1.02 with the region J on my 1A
when i reached pg 274x... the other day... there were more changes and i started trying MrWalkman's WM1 Mods.. the WM1A/Z++..
I had switched to 1Z following the instruction to reload the fw again..

And somewhere in the pages tthe talk of DSEE HX AI appeared..
Now, after rushing thro all the pages in this thread... I found I dont have this DSEE HX AI enabled...
I can only see DSEE HX...
So how i can i enable this to DSEE HX AI? Sorry if this was mentioned .
I am on version 3.02... i am still on pg 284x..

rgds

Please install the latest version from the post in my signature.

DSEE HX AI replaces the Standard option in the DSEE HX settings, so you will find it there.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #43,046 of 45,723

Which DAC are you using?

If your DAC USB input requires power, then it will not work with your WM1z and OTG cable. You would need the BCR-NWH10 dock which comes with an external power supply for USB or something similar that can provide 5V power. A lot of desktop DACs use the 5V from USB input to power the digital to digital conversion circuitry. Only optical, coax, or AES requires no external power.

Aug 13, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #43,047 of 45,723
The computing power of Sony’s AI technology:

https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/technology/stories/NNL_ABCI/

Kageyama: At the 1st ABCI Grand Challenge (July 2018), we were delighted to achieve a record of 10 minutes, but right after that, a Chinese IT company published a paper that reported their achievement of 6.6 minutes, which got us down. Then, we achieved the world’s fastest speed of 3.7 minutes, but after that another company achieved 2.2 minutes, and then 1.8 minutes, but then we also got down to 2.0 minutes in January 2019.
Honestly, since Sony’s scale of investment in AI is completely unlike that of a major IT company, I think that it is great that we are now able to keep pace with them.

4,352 GPUs, 2.5 microsecond latency
——Could you provide an overview of ABCI?

Ogawa: In order to accelerate the introduction of cutting-edge AI technology into R&D and industry and so forth, deep learning algorithms, various types and enormous amount of real world big data, and the high-performance computing power to combine these two especially to perform machine learning processing are critical. ABCI is a large-scale cloud computing system that brings all three of these elements together to provide a platform for promoting open innovation. AIST started development of the system in 2016 and officially launched the operation in August 2018.
ABCI is located at AIST’s Kashiwa research center, which is near the Tsukuba Express railway’s Kashiwanoha-campus Station. It is a computing system that consists of 1,088 servers, each with 2 CPUs and 4 GPUs for a total of 4,352 GPUs. As Mikami-san touched on earlier when he talked about latency, ABCI not only has many servers equipped with GPUs, but all the servers and all the GPUs are configured in a way to achieve communication within a latency of 2.5 microseconds or less.

Article about use of AI for audio processing:
https://towardsdatascience.com/the-promise-of-ai-in-audio-processing-a7e4996eb2ca

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #43,048 of 45,723
imagine someone buying a wm1a/z now and saying 'well i guess i need to read all pages of the wm1a/z' thread....

curious how/where he would start with reading so many pages

go from page 1 ? start from last page and go backwards ? pick a random middle point ?

Aug 13, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #43,049 of 45,723
imagine someone buying a wm1a/z now and saying 'well i guess i need to read all pages of the wm1a/z' thread....

curious how/where he would start with reading so many pages

go from page 1 ? start from last page and go backwards ? pick a random middle point ?

I would just search for any questions I had, but of course, I have been following this thread for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back