SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 12, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #43,021 of 45,723
This doesn't matter, everything works as in the official firmware.

I could only recommend you to try with another DAC as well. This happened to me before - if there are any incompatibility issues, the player will act like you didn't connect anything.

Thanks for your help. I've tried with the only two DACs I own and both dont seem to be working. No USB AUDIO shows up. Damn.

Aug 12, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #43,022 of 45,723
Thanks for your help. I've tried with the only two DACs I own and both dont seem to be working. No USB AUDIO shows up. Damn.

Remember to first plug the DAC cable in the adapter and only after that plug the adapter in the player.

I had some issues with Dragonfly Cobalt I think, no USB AUDIO was showing up. Now it does, but there's still no sound.

Aug 12, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #43,023 of 45,723
Use the stock USB cable that comes with the Walkman, problem solved.

Aug 12, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #43,024 of 45,723
Remember to first plug the DAC cable in the adapter and only after that plug the adapter in the player.

I had some issues with Dragonfly Cobalt I think, no USB AUDIO was showing up. Now it does, but there's still no sound.

Yea I tried to plug the DAC cable to the adapter and then plugged into the player - no go for both DAC's I own.

Use the stock USB cable that comes with the Walkman, problem solved.
The stock USB that comes with the walkman is not for outputting audio into a DAC. It is for plugging into a PC for file transfer etc.

Aug 12, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #43,025 of 45,723
Yea I tried to plug the DAC cable to the adapter and then plugged into the player - no go for both DAC's I own.

The stock USB that comes with the walkman is not for outputting audio into a DAC. It is for plugging into a PC for file transfer etc.
The stock cable is also for using the DAP as a DAC/AMP on a computer.

Aug 12, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #43,026 of 45,723
On another note, A55 arrived as well, and it's just a little bigger than the A45. It's funny that A55L models don't have FM Radio, but the hardware is there. You just need to change the region off CEW2, to J for example, and FM Radio will show up.

Hi there. Thanks for the revelation. Need more help. Your A55L was purchased in Europe, by any chance? Walkman blog showed up the following email from Sony that says "A55L version is launching in Europe as it doesn't have FM funtion due to DAB regulations." Does this mean all other regions sell only standard A55 (non-L) version and therefore all other region A55 purchases will sport FM feature?

I am planning to order one tomorrow from Amazon USA and pretty much for FM radio purpose (and DSEE HX AI and Clear Audio+). Would you recommend this version? B&H seem to be selling both versions: The new MFR #NWA55/L (New Release) and the old MFR #NWA55/B (More Units Arriving) and the B&H specs for both versions feature "FM: Yes".

All other specs, hopefully, same on both versions, I assume? FM, DSEE HX AI and Clear Audio+ are a must for me.

Thank you.

emailsony.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #43,027 of 45,723
DSEE HX comes off as a very subtle change from direct sound to off. Switched back and forth a few times. Thought there might be a bigger difference like cowon or rockbox clip zip (dsp). Having said that, WM1A/Z+ mod sounds great so far on 3.5mm refurb WM1A.

Hope this helps to explain how DSEE HX AI is different from your typical fixed mathematical function DSP algorithms.

If you have watch from 6min 25sec onwards:

What Sony is trying to achieve with DSEE HX AI is to provide a method to optimally restore what was lost during conversion from High Resolution Masters to MP3/AAC and CD Audio content

How they have done this is by using the giant music collection from Sony’s Music recording label, the original DXD or DSD Masters as training material for the AI’s Machine Learning. It’s a very computing intensive process, it will require Supercomputing resources to train such big and complex data.

Just for one song, Sony has to provide MP3 and AAC at various bit rates and also PCM wave version so that the AI can learn to spot the differences as compared to the original Highest resolution DXD source.

The end result is Sony’s AI upsampling is going to produce upsampling results that is more faithful to the original DXD source than fixed function DSP/FPGA/CPU/GPU algorithms that is used by other upsampling systems.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #43,028 of 45,723
Hi there. Thanks for the revelation. Need more help. Your A55L was purchased in Europe, by any chance? Walkman blog showed up the following email from Sony that says "A55L version is launching in Europe as it doesn't have FM funtion due to DAB regulations." Does this mean all other regions sell only standard A55 (non-L) version and therefore all other region A55 purchases will sport FM feature?

I am planning to order one tomorrow from Amazon USA and pretty much for FM radio purpose (and DSEE HX AI and Clear Audio+). Would you recommend this version? B&H seem to be selling both versions: The new MFR #NWA55/L (New Release) and the old MFR #NWA55/B (More Units Arriving) and the B&H specs for both versions feature "FM: Yes".

All other specs, hopefully, same on both versions, I assume? FM, DSEE HX AI and Clear Audio+ are a must for me.

Thank you.

emailsony.jpg

A55L is exactly like the A55, it only has the radio function disabled. I bought mine from Europe, yes.

Just let me know after you bought it, and I'll send you a thing that will enable the radio function.

Aug 12, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #43,030 of 45,723
Tried this as well, its effect also depends on the music material you are listening to -
from unconceivable to gently noticeable.

What I notice is if the song is poorly recorded or badly mastered, DSEE HX AI seems to be able to improve the overall dynamics and clarity to the song.

However if the song is already recorded in high resolution or superbly mastered, DSEE HX AI seems to only add a slight touch to the soundstage.

It has high variability in its effect as compared to blanket effect by other dsp algorithms.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #43,031 of 45,723
Tried this as well, its effect also depends on the music material you are listening to -
from unconceivable to gently noticeable.

I've tried it on a few more mp3's and if I were to A/B I wouldn't be able to tell a difference. It reminds me of filters like sharp roll off used on other daps. Barely noticable. Rockbox's Haas surround sound is quite noticable and can be tuned on the fly.

Aug 13, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #43,033 of 45,723

What cable are you using from the nwh10 to your DAC? From your picture it looks like a usb-a to 3.5mm?
I too use the nwh10 with qed usb-a to usb-b and it works perfectly.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 12:39 AM Post #43,034 of 45,723
It is these 2 that have to be present. If they are deleted the WM will just recognize the files as ordinary flac

2020-08-12_18-59-23.jpg

Just to add to this, MQA has a program that can sweep your files and add this tag in for you so the files will be detected as MQA.

Aug 13, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #43,035 of 45,723
Just to add to this, MQA has a program that can sweep your files and add this tag in for you so the files will be detected as MQA.
So basically just by adding those lines any non MQA file will be read as MQA and upsampled?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back