SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 12, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #42,977 of 45,723
Not sure why, but I have grown to enjoy the sound of S-master HX even over the TAZH1-ES class A sound. I find the way which class D does bass is much more enjoyable as it has more immediacy and impact. Class D has speed in transients that is quite unmatched especially on gen 2 S-master.
TA ZH1ES is S-Master and still a Class D. The exception is that it has active controlled Negative paths, which helps eliminate the hisses and noises from S-Master when output higher power

Aug 12, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #42,978 of 45,723
@Vitaly2017 A little expensive? Probably too expensive. If my tax return is good next year, I may get a used DMP-Z1. Below 600,000 yen. Even cheaper is better

Aug 12, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #42,979 of 45,723
What I find is the Hybrid TAZH1-ES has a sound signature closer to typical Class A sound as compared to what I am hearing from pure class D amps. Its very pristine sounding with very clear tonality, I think it suits HD800 very well. Classical music should really do well on the TAZH1-ES. It's like a ballet dancer, ever so graceful and controlled.

It's a different kind of sound on the S-Master HX on ZX507, it's like acrobat, ready to deliver jumps and spins. Grunty Bass notes on the tap, cymbals clashes that have tizzy and splashes.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #42,980 of 45,723
What I find is the Hybrid TAZH1-ES has a sound signature closer to typical Class A sound as compared to what I am hearing from pure class D amps. Its very pristine sounding with very clear tonality, I think it suits HD800 very well. Classical music should really do well on the TAZH1-ES. It's like a ballet dancer, ever so graceful.

It's a different kind of sound on the S-Master HX on ZX507, it's like acrobat, ready to deliver jumps and spins. Grunty Bass notes on the tap, cymbals clashes that have tizzy and splashes.
How is the TA vs in the DMP-Z1 in your eyes?

Aug 12, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #42,981 of 45,723
What I find is the Hybrid TAZH1-ES has a sound signature closer to typical Class A sound as compared to what I am hearing from pure class D amps. Its very pristine sounding with very clear tonality, I think it suits HD800 very well. Classical music should really do well on the TAZH1-ES. It's like a ballet dancer, ever so graceful and controlled.

You could connect the ZX from SE to RCA, and enjoy it's sound signature like that maybe?

I think it could make sense that an amplifier should not further colour the sound.

Aug 12, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #42,982 of 45,723
You could connect the ZX from SE to RCA, and enjoy it's sound signature like that maybe?

I think it could make sense that an amplifier should not further colour the sound.

I have tried the ZX507 connected to my Prius JBL car sound system via 3.5mm to 3.5mm analog in. It sounds great, images like a champ. Somehow DSEE HX AI stereo imaging capabilities extends to work on car stereo. My non-audiophile passengers thought that I have modified my car stereo but I told them I am just running a stock sound system only difference is the Sony Walkman as source. They commented that the singer of the live recording felt so real like as though they were actually at concert listening to her.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #42,984 of 45,723
In my eyes, DMP-Z1 looked alot bigger in size.
Let me rephrase that, how would you compare the DSEE on both models? I meant the sound quality on both

Aug 12, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #42,985 of 45,723
Both the DC Phase Linearizer and DSEE HX effect on the TA felt kinda weak. It wasn't as good as the DSEE HX AI on the DMP-Z1 and ZX507.

Sony really needs to update all their older devices with the DSEE HX AI code if that's possible.

Aug 12, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #42,986 of 45,723
I've got some MQA files that are flac. Roon can see that they're MQA but in the WM1Z they show up as ordinary flac. Why is this?

Aug 12, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #42,987 of 45,723
I've got some MQA files that are flac. Roon can see that they're MQA but in the WM1Z they show up as ordinary flac. Why is this?

I'm not 100% how it works, but maybe Roon analyzes the file while the 1Z tries to read some tags to determine if it's MQA or not.

I encountered this as well, and I'm gonna try checking on the file if it has some tags or not.

I have the same file twice (from two sources somehow), and one of them is being recognized as MQA by the 1A, while the other one is not recognized.

On another note, A55 arrived as well, and it's just a little bigger than the A45. It's funny that A55L models don't have FM Radio, but the hardware is there. You just need to change the region off CEW2, to J for example, and FM Radio will show up.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #42,988 of 45,723
I too enjoy the MDR-Z1R from my WM1A, but from the feedback of many TH-ZH1ES owners it is spoken very highly of and takes them to another level - I was just hoping to achieve any step toward that.
I have try MDR-Z1R with WM1Z, TH-ZH1ES and DMP-Z1. TH-ZH1ES has more power to drive MDR-Z1R to another level, better sound stage, more impact bass. While DMP-Z1 provides even better sound stage and much dark bakground.

Aug 12, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #42,989 of 45,723
I have it and I still need my desktop :wink:

Hmm wonder what is it that your missing? Tidal? 🙃😄

@Vitaly2017 A little expensive? Probably too expensive. If my tax return is good next year, I may get a used DMP-Z1. Below 600,000 yen. Even cheaper is better

Cant wait to see this to happen. Do it Do it ! 😁

Both the DC Phase Linearizer and DSEE HX effect on the TA felt kinda weak. It wasn't as good as the DSEE HX AI on the DMP-Z1 and ZX507.

Sony really needs to update all their older devices with the DSEE HX AI code if that's possible.

We will never know but if sony not releasing it for older devices maybe it has some reasons to it.

I have try MDR-Z1R with WM1Z, TH-ZH1ES and DMP-Z1. TH-ZH1ES has more power to drive MDR-Z1R to another level, better sound stage, more impact bass. While DMP-Z1 provides even better sound stage and much dark bakground.

That's cool not many folks here that owns so many sony gear...

How would you describe the dmp-z1 overall? In comparison to Th, 1a, 1z, zx507?

Is dmp-z1 a strong contender to eliminate desktop rig?

Aug 12, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #42,990 of 45,723
The amount of things to have headache over

Audiophile power cable
Audiophile USB PCI-E card with OCXO clock
Optical USB cable
Power Conditioner
Audiophile Fuses
Glass Toslink cable
Audiophile XLR Interconnect Cables
USB Isolation and Reclocker
Audiophile Software Music Player
Vibration isolation
Balanced R2R DAC
Balanced Preamp/Headamp
GPU and SSD noise
ASIO buffer settings

Skip all of the above. Just buy yourself a Balanced 4.4mm capable Sony Walkman.

Way easier path to a better solution :)

Q-6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back