SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 2, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #42,331 of 45,723
Number of sub folders

On the WM1Z screen and probably the same on the LPGT screen, what is a good number of folders per level? They get cumbersome on my Questyle dap small screens if I have too many in one level.

I plan to group some of my letters. Crazy to have 33 in C and only 1 in Q, etc.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #42,332 of 45,723
On the WM1Z screen and probably the same on the LPGT screen, what is a good number of folders per level? They get cumbersome on my Questyle dap small screens if I have too many in one level.

I plan to group some of my letters. Crazy to have 33 in C and only 1 in Q, etc.
I have 26 at the /MUSIC root, one for each letter of the alphabet.

On the Sony screen you can see 7 items at a time in all views. And with MrWalkmans enhanced firmware scrolling is super fast. Even before his firmware I had no issues.

Aug 2, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #42,333 of 45,723
Question regarding uninstalling WM1AZ+ 3.01. Can I simply use the "WM1 Back to Stock (3.02).exe" to uninstall the WM1AZ+ 3.01 mod?

EDIT: Nevermind, just found the info regarding the 3.01 stating that we just need to install stock firmware over the modded firmware. Sorry about that lol.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #42,334 of 45,723
Question regarding uninstalling WM1AZ+ 3.01. Can I simply use the "WM1 Back to Stock (3.02).exe" to uninstall the WM1AZ+ 3.01 mod?
If you installed using version 1.3 of that firmware and haven't change device type, you can just install official Sony 3.01 over it. If you changed device type you need to reset it back to the real device type before installing the official Sony firmware.

Aug 2, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #42,335 of 45,723
Interested in hearing if you prefer NW-WM1A or NW-WM1Z with MDR-Z1R headphones from balanced output.

Aug 2, 2020 at 9:47 PM Post #42,336 of 45,723
Interested in hearing if you prefer NW-WM1A or NW-WM1Z with MDR-Z1R headphones from balanced output.
If you were asking me, I only use the MDR-Z1R with the TA-ZH1ES. I only use IEMs (Campfire) with the NW-WM1A and NW-WM1Z.

Aug 2, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #42,337 of 45,723
If you were asking me, I only use the MDR-Z1R with the TA-ZH1ES. I only use IEMs (Campfire) with the NW-WM1A and NW-WM1Z.

I do love my Shure SRH1540 headphones from my NW-WM1A, but I suspect they're easier to drive than the Sony headphones.

Aug 3, 2020 at 12:17 AM Post #42,338 of 45,723
I do love my Shure SRH1540 headphones from my NW-WM1A, but I suspect they're easier to drive than the Sony headphones.
The 1A is real good with the Z7M2 and the MDR-Z1R. Doesn’t feel underpowered to me

Aug 3, 2020 at 1:43 AM Post #42,339 of 45,723
I think this video makes it easier to understand the effects of jitter on sound reproduction. The first waveform sound has too much jitter while the second waveform sound has lesser jitter:

What I feel is the Sony walkman has one of the lowest jitter, matching or even exceeding some of TOTL DACs that have femto clocks.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #42,340 of 45,723
I think this video makes it easier to understand the effects of jitter on sound reproduction. The first waveform sound has too much jitter while the second waveform sound has lesser jitter:

What I feel is the Sony walkman has one of the lowest jitter, matching or even exceeding some of TOTL DACs that have femto clocks.

Yeah, the least altered and purest signals are very important.
My walkman sounds much better now which listening in the car with better internal shielded.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2020 at 2:36 AM Post #42,342 of 45,723
have been on 1a+ for 10 days now (maybe more - i forget when i did the switch) , after 4500 hours i still feel like my wm1a is a TOTL new dap

brilliant SONY dap.

Aug 3, 2020 at 5:27 AM Post #42,344 of 45,723
This is a repost by me from another thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/1-week-review-of-sony-nw-zx507-nw-zx500-series.921418/

Regarding Sony's No / Unknown "DAC", it is incorrect to say that Sony has no DAC as all digital audio players must have a DAC inside in order to convert binary data into analog sound.

How Sony does the conversion is different from other daps that rely on semiconductor dac chips from Analog Devices, Asahi Kasei Microdevices, ESS, Texas Instruments or Cirrus Logic to do the "dirty work".

Sony does all in one digital signal processing, digital to analog conversion, digital volume control and class D amplification completely within their S-Master HX chip. This technology is Sony proprietary(only on sony devices).

It has the advantage of high quality sound as all the processing and conversion is done in a single chip which reduces electrical interferences and jitter.

It also has the advantage of lower power consumption and lower heat output as compared to other digital audio player that rely on discrete dacs and external amplifications chips.

The disadvantage is the power output of the amplification limited to 250mW(200mW for ZX507) on balanced due to the limitations of semiconductor technology.
This is a repost by me from another thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/1-week-review-of-sony-nw-zx507-nw-zx500-series.921418/

Regarding Sony's No / Unknown "DAC", it is incorrect to say that Sony has no DAC as all digital audio players must have a DAC inside in order to convert binary data into analog sound.

How Sony does the conversion is different from other daps that rely on semiconductor dac chips from Analog Devices, Asahi Kasei Microdevices, ESS, Texas Instruments or Cirrus Logic to do the "dirty work".

Sony does all in one digital signal processing, digital to analog conversion, digital volume control and class D amplification completely within their S-Master HX chip. This technology is Sony proprietary(only on sony devices).

It has the advantage of high quality sound as all the processing and conversion is done in a single chip which reduces electrical interferences and jitter.

It also has the advantage of lower power consumption and lower heat output as compared to other digital audio player that rely on discrete dacs and external amplifications chips.

The disadvantage is the power output of the amplification limited to 250mW(200mW for ZX507) on balanced due to the limitations of semiconductor technology.

good stuff....but disadvantage's advantage....

hearing - like life- is a one-shot deal.....obsession with output 'loudness' is the ultimate a zero-sum game

Aug 3, 2020 at 5:31 AM Post #42,345 of 45,723

Jitters don’t only come from clocks. Crystals clock oscillations work by generating the Piezoelectric pulses.....It is also coming from capacitors, and other components that generate Piezoelectric pulses, they includes Ceramic capacitors for the worse, Tantalum capacitors, and resistors.

However, it is easier to sell FEMTO clocks and FPGA or R2R....newest Delta-Sigma Chips....etc...LOL

There are a lot of marketing BS (Bull Stuff) from others companies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back