SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 26, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #41,806 of 45,723
so just we are clear...is this a rename of Mr. Walkman's firmware updates from the other day (1A/1Z switcher and 1A/1Z+), or is this another download?

"Cerberus" is just a tuning mod, that was now made to be used with the WM1A/Z+ modded firmware, and I have no affiliation with it.

Everything "official" about my firmware mods can be found here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-wm1z-wm1a.815841/page-2738#post-15747959

By the way, you don't need to use any switcher anymore with the modded firmware, in it's "official" form. The switcher is now integrated into the firmware.

Just read the main post, that can be found in the link above. You can delete any other previous stuff you saved, like switchers, etc.

Also quoting the main post here:
Edit: If you want to post this on other forums, it would be nice to provide a link to this post, and not
a direct Google Drive link. Thanks!

Before we start, the things below are actual firmware mods, and not just tunings.
I think someone was asking about some, once upon a time. :)

logow.png

1. WM1A/Z+

Features:
- switching the model (from "Settings" > "Device Settings")
- improvements to the sound for both WM1A and WM1Z
- DSEE HX AI (present on DMP-Z1)
- improved battery life
- hardware accelerated rendition of the UI (faster menus)

How to: First install the firmware, and then go to "Settings", "Device Settings", "Reset/Format/Model Switcher",
and then choose "Switch Device Model". After switching the model, install this firmware again, in
order to fully apply the new model's sound signature.

Switching the model is not mandatory, as the mod brings sound improvements for both players.

The process of switching the model takes about 1 or 2 seconds, and then the player will restart
automatically. You can always see what is your current model by going to "Settings" > "Unit Information".

2. CHAMELEON (stock sound)

Features:
- switching the model (from "Settings" > "Device Settings")
- DSEE HX AI (present on DMP-Z1)
- hardware accelerated rendition of the UI

How to: First install this firmware, and then go to "Settings", "Device Settings", "Reset/Format/Model Switcher",
and then choose "Switch Device Model". After switching the model, install this firmware again, in
order to fully apply the 1Z sound signature to your 1A.

The process of switching the model takes about 1 or 2 seconds, and then the player will restart
automatically. You can always see what is your current model by going to "Settings" > "Unit Information".

1.1 - LINK
1.2 - LINK
1.3 - LINK

Frequently Asked Questions (applicable for both mods)

- How do I get back to stock firmware?
First make sure you switched back to the original model for your player, and then just install the stock
firmware of your choice.

- Do I need to be on version 3.02 before installing one of the mods?
No, you do not.

- If I am already using one of the two firmware mods, do I need to first switch back to 1A or
to 1Z, and then I can install any new versions of the mods?

No, you can just go ahead and install new versions of the mods, when/if they appear, unless
specified otherwise.

- If I am using the "WM1A/Z+" firmware and I want to try the "CHAMELEON" firmware, do I first need
to switch the model back to original?

No, you can just install the other firmware and that's it. Just remember that for going back to stock,
you should first switch to the original model for your player.

- What happens if I switch the model, but then I don't install the firmware again?
Nothing wrong will happen. The sound might not be the same as if installing the firmware again though.
Feel free to experiment, but the recommendation is that you should install the firmware again after
switching the model.
If you were on 1Z, and then you switch on 1A and you don't install the firmware again, the sound will mainly be the one of 1A, but it will still have slight characteristics of the 1Z sound.

Same goes if you are on 1A, then you switch to 1Z, but then you don't install the firmware again. The sound will mainly be the one of 1Z, but it will still have slight characteristics of the 1A sound.

- How can I restore the original "Certificates" images (for previous versions of the mods)
If you used previous versions of the mods (pre 1.3), install the "Restore Certificate images" update, available
in the link below.

LINK

Thanks for everyone who tried this while in earlier stages!

Hope you'll enjoy!

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #41,807 of 45,723
Now this is kinda random, and to preface I mean no offense to any of the modders here but, does anyone else experience a weird issue where just after installing any tuning mod, or modded firmware for that matter, the sound does distinctly change, as the tuning/modded firmware suggests it would, but after several hours of not playing music on the player and going back to it, the sound of the player changes back to how it sounds with just the default firmware version for the player (3.0, 3.01, 3.02).

I believe I've experienced this multiple times, and more recently with the WM1AZ+ mod. I changed my player to Z+ using the switcher inside the firmware, then re-installing the firmware again and the sound did change when playing music immediately after the installation finished. But after leaving my player alone without touching it overnight when I slept, I went back to it and it sounded, to my ears, significantly different (i.e. the sound wasn't "expansive and big" as it appeared to be when first playing music right after installing.). So, when I realized this I tried installing the firmware again by simply switching the model, then installing the firmware and vioala, the sound changed as I remembered it.

Again, I don't mean to insult anyone by stating these observations, I was just wondering if anyone else has possibly experienced this. I totally believe that these mods do change the sound for the better, it's just I find that I am constantly needing to "reinstall" the modded firmware to retain the sound that it initially creates.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #41,808 of 45,723
Now this is kinda random, and to preface I mean no offense to any of the modders here but, does anyone else experience a weird issue where just after installing any tuning mod, or modded firmware for that matter, the sound does distinctly change, as the tuning/modded firmware suggests it would, but after several hours of not playing music on the player and going back to it, the sound of the player sounds like it should on the default firmware version for the player (3.0, 3.01, 3.02).

I believe I've experienced this multiple times, and more recently with the WM1AZ+ mod. I changed my player to Z+ using the switcher inside the firmware, then re-installing the firmware again and the sound did change when playing music immediately after the installation finished. But after leaving my player alone without touching it overnight when I slept, I went back to it and it sounded, to my ears, significantly different (i.e. the sound wasn't "expansive and big" as it appeared to be when first playing music right after installing.). So, when I realized this I tried installing the firmware again by simply switching the model, then installing the firmware and vioala, the sound changed as I remembered it.

Again, I don't mean to insult anyone by stating these observations, I was just wondering if anyone else has possibly experienced this. I totally believe that these mods do change the sound for the better, it's just I find that I am constantly needing to "reinstall" the modded firmware to retain the sound that it initially creates.

In case of tuning mods, I don't know what to say...

But the firmware mod doesn't have anything to do with the tuning, and consists of an actual firmware modification, that is permanent as long as you don't return to stock.

No idea what could have happened in your case.

Are you entirely sure it's not just some placebo, and your ears just needed a bit of "waking up" or anything like that?

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #41,809 of 45,723
I have integrated "Cerberus" toward @MrWalkman 1A/Z + Brilliantly made FirmWare. Just as Promised to people who have requested previously. It is named Cerberus + as the + is to honor @MrWalkman creation 1A/Z +

This is the combinations of Works from @Morgenstern09 @Morbideath , myself and thanks to @MrWalkman brilliant works. We have yet again to witness another level of performances improvements by firmware , We are Stronger Together !! Until Giant Sony request it down

After Beta testers, Cerberus is friendly and also showing improvements toward Stock and modified Hardware Walkman

Disclaimers: Your preferences may be different from Mine, and Cerberus, and therefore If it doesnt suite your taste, please consider reverting back to stock, or @MrWalkman , or any other so desired firmwares. Also, I no longer have Walkman to test ride this tuning with you. Beta Testers majorily "likes" it

You can Download this File here
Download this Model Switcher Here

Steps by Steps

1/ Download Model Switcher
2/ Run Windows Batch File
3/ Switch to DMP Z1 Model
4/ Restart Very Important
5/ Recommended but not Neccessary (Check your Model by using Model Switcher and make sure it is DMP Z1)
6/ Download Firmware
7/ Install

You may be prompted by AntiVirus and blah....blah....but you are all safe

edit your initial post and state 'this works only on a wm1a/z Universal model'

not editing your post shows sloppiness (imo) and has caused many users who tried t install it , confusion

cheers

Jul 26, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #41,810 of 45,723
Now this is kinda random, and to preface I mean no offense to any of the modders here but, does anyone else experience a weird issue where just after installing any tuning mod, or modded firmware for that matter, the sound does distinctly change, as the tuning/modded firmware suggests it would, but after several hours of not playing music on the player and going back to it, the sound of the player changes back to how it sounds with just the default firmware version for the player (3.0, 3.01, 3.02).

It could be that your walkman need to be warm up? If so, your device should be running at optimal after 30 minutes.
And when battery drop down below 30%, sound quality will drop a bit too. Less energetic and weight I think.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #41,812 of 45,723
edit your initial post and state 'this works only on a wm1a/z Universal model'

not editing your post shows sloppiness (imo) and has caused many users who tried t install it , confusion

cheers
Theoretically speaking it should be working. I am not sure why some just can not install it. I do not have a Walkman here to test. So that would need to ask @Morbideath to step in or so.

The only device that is having this problem is likely European models. But as stated above. Until we found out what and what then we can’t say for sure why some can’t install it

Jul 26, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #41,816 of 45,723
Jul 26, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #41,818 of 45,723
@Whitigir : your firmware actually worked after reinstall switch 1.2 version to DMP-z1 with reset. I did reset after changing to DMP-z1 but new firmware did not apply so I reinstall again, reset, then firmware work perfectly.
Theoretically speaking it should be working. I am not sure why some just can not install it. I do not have a Walkman here to test. So that would need to ask @Morbideath to step in or so.

The only device that is having this problem is likely European models. But as stated above. Until we found out what and what then we can’t say for sure why some can’t install it
Thank you for your confirmations!

Jul 26, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #41,819 of 45,723

I think this is due to user fatigue. I meam no offense but I think we listen to much music lately 😅😅😅 there is so much goodness that our brains are simply over saturated!

Take a break watch netflix 😁

I been speaking about something similar with @MrWalkman and we concluded it is due to user getting too used to the sound! If it helps just rerun the installation fw and switch to 1a restart reinstall switch to 1z reinstall... and see if you like it better that way 🙂

After numerous tests and try and errors this fw is legit and it works 100% but its so good it can play tricks on your brain!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back