SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 19, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #39,901 of 45,723
No offence to @Vitaly2017 specifically, but I find it hard to believe anyone that says they hear a difference between wav & flac without backing it up from a genuine blind a/b test. The differences are so minute, and I suspect there’s an element of placebo. If you tell yourself WAV sounds better, it will sound better (to you) :)

Jun 19, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #39,902 of 45,723
It could make sense. However, it would affect the sound in a very small proportion.

One thing that I can't get out of my mind is that at first you were thinking that it's not a lossless compression, and that was your reason that you don't use FLAC files. After some discussions where we cleared out that nothing is actually lost, then you started with this other reason, that the decompression process produces noise that you can perceive. To me this sounds a little like some bias, and you just try finding reasons to justify why you don't use FLAC files.

Just my 2 cents. I don't really care about FLAC vs WAV as I already have my choice, I just didn't want to have false info here.

Cheers!

Yea I am evolving! On a daily basis ! I jumped from spotify to flac then to wav. As back at that time I was living a big change in my audio life and it brought me very far down the rabbit's hole!

You all know I been enjoying my life with simple gear streaming my music via Ldac and wm1z !
And I still got my Tiger Ear title even back then hehe 😃😛😍🐯

I enjoyed my music for many years until I decided to go beyond and my goal was to reach the ultimate sound quality at its best possible reproducible way! This is the reason why I got down here even to fight with wav and flacs!

I eventually got my self the Tia Fourte Noir after trying a hell of a lot of gear. I discovered new sound qualities and I share my findings with others just as you share with us all the good fw options!

I try help as much as I can by sharing my experiences with different gear and also share my philosophy about audiophile hobby! It is my passion and I been developing this for the past 5 years! I know 5 years might seem small but the enormous evolution I went threw is so vast and radical, thats what made me to be The Mighty Tiger Ears!

I do it with compassion and good will so I really hope it helps other folks as I find it quiet a hard ride.

In the beginning I had many difficulties to understand everything and I was reading a lot of threads and forums and articles about audio, cables , daps, file formats, music and ect ect...

But it was never consistent and most of the time to much bias!
So I decide to do it on my own. Bought cables bought daps iems and buy resale many many times! A load pile of cash was burned into ash's.

I understood that what most info is spread on headfi and forums is not accurate to many people hearing differently its all subjective! And it NEVER ENDS

So I did the path my self and now share as much I can so others can skip many steps a head of them! And be happier listener's!

Now that was Tiger Ears personal life experience and journey now you know more about me and I keep evolving there is no end to this evolution!

Viva Golden ears ROOOOAArrrrsss

tiger truck .jpgmeditating_tiger_by_floydkangaroo_d9pjf9z-fullview.jpg

Jun 19, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #39,903 of 45,723
No offence to @Vitaly2017 specifically, but I find it hard to believe anyone that says they hear a difference between wav & flac without backing it up from a genuine blind a/b test. The differences are so minute, and I suspect there’s an element of placebo. If you tell yourself WAV sounds better, it will sound better (to you) :)

My a/b testing methods are different then rather just doing a blind test sitting on a chair and some one changes the track for you.

I listen and the switch and trie to re listen the same passages I just been listening but in wav then back and same passage in flac.

I pick different music files it can be random some show more of this effect some less.

I dont find blind testing alway an accurate test as it seems more of a guess of guessing then being concentrated and digging or technical changes in specific passages...

I also spend many many hours listening in a row and once the ear get used to the sound and then you swap a change. It simply jump right at you and in your face much easier to be perceived!

That is how I do this and it takes alot of time and listening!
I have around 3500 hours in 5 years of listening thats quiet a lot.

Screenshot_20191206-134329_Spotify.jpg

Jun 19, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #39,904 of 45,723
My a/b testing methods are different then rather just doing a blind test sitting on a chair and some one changes the track for you.

I listen and the switch and trie to re listen the same passages I just been listening but in wav then back and same passage in flac.

I pick different music files it can be random some show more of this effect some less.

I dont find blind testing alway an accurate test as it seems more of a guess of guessing then being concentrated and digging or technical changes in specific passages...

I also spend many many hours listening in a row and once the ear get used to the sound and then you swap a change. It simply jump right at you and in your face much easier to be perceived!

That is how I do this and it takes alot of time and listening!
I have around 3500 hours in 5 years of listening thats quiet a lot.

I have no doubt that you hear a difference, and if WAV brings you a better listening experience, then that is awesome :) at the end of the day that’s what is most important.

But you gotta realise that from other people’s perspective, you’re just another guy on the internet that claims there’s a difference without any actual proof. For me to believe that there’s a difference between WAV & FLAC, I’d need to see a blind test. But, it doesn’t matter what I or anyone thinks, as long as you’re getting the best sound quality to your ears and you’re enjoying the music, that’s all that matters. :)

Again, I don’t mean any offence. Just sharing another perspective.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #39,905 of 45,723
Sometimes it’s like a eureka moment when you actually hear what others are describing/experiencing.

Sadly most will involve spending money buying many different types of gears to experience and understand them. It’s like the taste of Unami, it’s hard to describe it but once you taste it, it is likely that you will grow to enjoy it .

for example:
Jitter Effect
Sound Stage Height/depth
Instrument layering
Vocal isolation
Balanced Sound stereo separation
Sony House Sound
Digital grain
ESS Sabre Glare
R2R sound
NOS sound

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020 at 8:39 PM Post #39,906 of 45,723
Sometimes it’s like a eureka moment when you actually hear what others are describing/experiencing.

Sadly most will involve spending money buying many different types of gears to experience and understand them. It’s like the taste of Unami, it’s hard to describe it but once you taste it, it is likely that you will grow to enjoy it .

for example:
Jitter Effect
Sound Stage Height/depth
Instrument layering
Sony House Sound
Digital grain
ESS Sabre Glare
R2R sound
NOS sound
You can't prove any of these

Jitter Effect
Sound Stage Height/depth
Instrument layering
Sony House Sound
Digital grain
ESS Sabre Glare
R2R sound
NOS sound

How do you prove reviews? How do you prove something you hear?
All these claims are understood to be observations, the only way to prove any of it, is to listen to it for yourself. So I don't think @Vitaly2017 is out of line by sticking to his observations and claiming to hear a difference. I should be upto the reader to try and figure it out for themselves, that is if they are even interested in figuring it out.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #39,907 of 45,723
You can't prove any of these

Jitter Effect
Sound Stage Height/depth
Instrument layering
Sony House Sound
Digital grain
ESS Sabre Glare
R2R sound
NOS sound

How do you prove reviews? How do you prove something you hear?
All these claims are understood to be observations, the only way to prove any of it, is to listen to it for yourself. So I don't think @Vitaly2017 is out of line by sticking to his observations and claiming to hear a difference. I should be upto the reader to try and figure it out for themselves, that is if they are even interested in finding out.

Of course. That’s all it is, observations and opinion. I don’t think anyone said Vitaly is out of line. But it’s certainly not factually proven at this point in time that WAV will sound objectively better than FLAC. Maybe it never will be.

Jun 19, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #39,908 of 45,723
There’s probably scientific or measurable data to show the differences but it’s probably hard to nail it down by using static FFT graphs which only shows one aspect or stopwatch measurement of a constantly changing audio spectrum.

Like for example accurate soundstage has to do mostly with an audio system ability to have very low noise floor but it also includes other aspects like good stereo separation and low phase noise.

Also in my opinion, It is not possible just use a few sets of measurement alone to prove the entirety of the sound system sound quality. Thee are too many other variability and measurements to consider.

It will require listening by a discernible audiophile.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020 at 9:19 PM Post #39,909 of 45,723
There’s probably scientific or measurable data to show the differences but it’s probably hard to nail it down by using static FFT graphs which only shows one aspect or stopwatch measurement of a constantly changing audio spectrum.

Like for example accurate soundstage has to do mostly with an audio system ability to have very low noise floor but it also includes other aspects like good stereo separation and low phase noise.

Also in my opinion, It is not possible just use a few sets of measurement alone to prove the entirety of the sound system sound quality. Thee are too many other variability and measurements to consider.

It will require listening by a discernible audiophile.

Anyway, this is way off topic so I’ll shut up :smile: I always enjoy hearing other perspectives and learning something new :) thanks for sharing your knowledge.

At the end of the day, I just love music and love hearing it as best as I can. It’s a true blessing to be able to enjoy music at such high quality and I’m thankful for what we have available to us in this day and age

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #39,910 of 45,723
My mantra for audiophile hobby:

1. Enjoy the music
2. Don't be a sound neurotic
3. Spend money wisely
4. Keep open mind about others opinions and information.
5. Be nice to others.

Listen at 9min 45sec for definition of a sound nerotic

Jun 19, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #39,911 of 45,723
Hi guys, I just changed my WM1A region code to J (stock region E - universal) and my 1A is in English now. I wonder if Sony announces new firmware updates, 3.03 for example, do I have to switch back to stock region code for the new update or I can just install Japanese 3.03 firmware?

Also does anyone notice that clicking relay sound appears less frequently on J and not as loud compared to E?

Jun 19, 2020 at 11:48 PM Post #39,914 of 45,723
Hi guys, I just changed my WM1A region code to J (stock region E - universal) and my 1A is in English now. I wonder if Sony announces new firmware updates, 3.03 for example, do I have to switch back to stock region code for the new update or I can just install Japanese 3.03 firmware?

Also does anyone notice that clicking relay sound appears less frequently on J and not as loud compared to E?
Hello, I recently switched like you, I'm sure those clicks are the same as before - it could be you are listening to different tracks with different formats that trigger a different amount of clicks.

Jun 20, 2020 at 12:16 AM Post #39,915 of 45,723
Before this thread devolves into a Sound Science thread, I'd like to express how much I'm enjoying BT Reciever + Apple Music. You lose a little SQ bc of BT (AAC, probably much better if you used LDAC source), but essentially turns it into a streaming device (without Android).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back