SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 17, 2020 at 6:51 AM Post #39,781 of 45,723
Going back to the talk of the battery, does anyone know the rated capacity? I ran mine to empty and (apart from the result may be skewed by trickle charging) it drew 1697mah from the wall whilst charging - with battery saver on

Jun 17, 2020 at 6:56 AM Post #39,782 of 45,723
Going back to the talk of the battery, does anyone know the rated capacity? I ran mine to empty and (apart from the result may be skewed by trickle charging) it drew 1697mah from the wall whilst charging - with battery saver on

Part of ownership is letting them run to zero. You can leave the player running and that can happen. Though very few if any have had to replace their battery. People have replaced the battery when doing modifications upgrade.

Jun 17, 2020 at 7:28 AM Post #39,783 of 45,723
One thing that puzzles me...

We have two clocks (44.1 and 48) that are assigned by a relay - yet went turning on / off direct sound (Regardless off if any DSP is activated or not) and regardless of which clock is active, another relay clicks, is this implying that the DSP is on a third clock, or that there is a specific part of the PCB that is activated / deactivated when switching mode?
The manual does mention what seems like the equivalent of a speaker mute relay on a regular amplifier. It is on the Balanced output only, from the description.

FROM THE MANUAL:
Headphone jack (Balanced Standard) (*2) Connect headphones with a balanced standard plug.
Push in the headphone plug until it clicks into place.
Connect the headphones properly. Otherwise, the output sound will be impaired.
Connect passive headphones (*3) to the headphone jack (Balanced Standard) only.
If you use an audio cable to connect the headphone jack (Balanced Standard) to the line-in jack of an audio device, it may damage the device.

The internal circuit of the Walkman uses a relay.
When a pair of headphones is connected to the headphone jack (Balanced Standard), you may hear sound from the relay in the following cases.
When you change the output device.
When you change the content or the sound quality settings.
When you turn the power on or off. While the screen is off.

Jun 17, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #39,784 of 45,723
Looks like it is an 1860 mAh battery.

https://uk.eetgroup.com/i/185358811-Sony-BATTERY-LITHIUM-ION-STORAG?id=185358811
https://encompass.com/item/10955862/Sony/1-853-588-11/

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-wm1z-wm1a.815841/post-14690562
1592393924694.png

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #39,785 of 45,723
Has anyone tried Deezer with their 1Z and 1A? Seems like they are available in Japan and have FLAC files for both streaming and downloading. Thoughts?

Edit: Never mind. They have no hi-res music. I'm guessing Amazon Japan's music the only Hi-Res service I can use? Sony's seems TOO limited

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #39,786 of 45,723
Had some Rakuten points and listening to a Linkin Park FLAC file vs the CD file and I can definitely note the little subtle differences in the drums and strings, but like I said, little differences. Seems like the cost of FLAC files vs 320 Kbps vs 96 KHz plus the album eating 1GB of space on the hard drive makes me think that spending that extra cash and space for just a little small difference. Good thing I got this Hi-Res album for free. So far, I'm listening directly from my PC. So tomorrow I'll try from my 1Z with the IER-Z1R before I make the final conclusion and test it whenever I am able to get the TA. Still, at least I'm trying to analyze as carefully as possible but also realizing I need to enjoy my music as well. The enjoy part is what counts the most.

Jun 17, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #39,787 of 45,723
Had some Rakuten points and listening to a Linkin Park FLAC file vs the CD file and I can definitely note the little subtle differences in the drums and strings, but like I said, little differences. Seems like the cost of FLAC files vs 320 Kbps vs 96 KHz plus the album eating 1GB of space on the hard drive makes me think that spending that extra cash and space for just a little small difference. Good thing I got this Hi-Res album for free. So far, I'm listening directly from my PC. So tomorrow I'll try from my 1Z with the IER-Z1R before I make the final conclusion and test it whenever I am able to get the TA. Still, at least I'm trying to analyze as carefully as possible but also realizing I need to enjoy my music as well. The enjoy part is what counts the most.
1GB is not much compared to DSD 2.2 to whopping 3.9GB per album
I can hear differences between CD, 24bit flac and DSD (same master, same studio)

Jun 17, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #39,788 of 45,723
1GB is not much compared to DSD 2.2 to whopping 3.9GB per album
I can hear differences between CD, 24bit flac and DSD (same master, same studio)
So do I, but as I said, not as substantial from even a critical listening experience, so it might lower even the listening enjoyment if it sounds the same and doesn’t wow me. If it’s the case, then no problem and I can still have one album to focus on the small hi-res differences. Will still wait for other equipment to come

Jun 17, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #39,789 of 45,723
So do I, but as I said, not as substantial from even a critical listening experience, so it might lower even the listening enjoyment if it sounds the same and doesn’t wow me. If it’s the case, then no problem and I can still have one album to focus on the small hi-res differences. Will still wait for other equipment to come
On the PC I hear like you, little differences, on the other hand, on the 1A the difference for me is substantial.

Take for example the CD rom the Mozart symphonies Nos. 35-41, on the top end sounds artificial same goes for the reverb. Switching to 24-bit flac from the DSF master, the sound is.more natural, but some how sounds body, enclosed like recorded in a studio with reverb control.. almost no reverb. Switch lastly to the SACD rips, these sound perfect, more clear back instruments like flutes, oboes and clarinets, reverb is nice, feels like you're at the hall

Jun 17, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #39,790 of 45,723
On the PC I hear like you, little differences, on the other hand, on the 1A the difference for me is substantial.

Take for example the CD rom the Mozart symphonies Nos. 35-41, on the top end sounds artificial same goes for the reverb. Switching to 24-bit flac from the DSF master, the sound is.more natural, but some how sounds body, enclosed like recorded in a studio with reverb control.. almost no reverb. Switch lastly to the SACD rips, these sound perfect, more clear back instruments like flutes, oboes and clarinets, reverb is nice, feels like you're at the hall
I could say labels often play tricks on us, by mastering better for Hi-res/DSD vs the normal CD release, this have been noticing on the hybrid SACDs and some flac 16/44 compared to the recently bought 24bit versions

Jun 17, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #39,791 of 45,723
There are tracks where the master recording is recorded at 16bit 44.1KHz, and the store just "remaster" using software DSP to 24bit 96kHz format or thereabouts to sell to you as Hi Res tracks.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 10:57 PM Post #39,793 of 45,723
Master quality records from studios are usually recorded in highest possible res, 32/192 for example but I think they stick at 24/192....
now you can down sample to still benefit from the quality but anything up sampled will be useless.

dsd are recorded in what they are 64 or 128 or 256 ect those dont get down sampled or up sample it is recorded in its native format and sold...
now if you convert dsd to pcm and then start the yada yda high res game thing with down samples and all that stuff, I do believe its wrong and it will result in a quality loss.

Once more I do feel wavs sounds the best flac is a lossless compression but its still a compression, compression compression and compression !

Jun 17, 2020 at 11:06 PM Post #39,794 of 45,723
There are “very little recordings” done in “Native DSD”. Because DSD can not be edited if some artists have an “oopsie daisy moment”

Most recording are done in high sampling rate such as 384Khz....because PCM can be edited

Usually DSD or SACD from producers are PCM then modulated into DSD....what is this modulations ? A sigma delta conversions being done offline. Similar to if you were to use a program to convert 16/44.1 into DSD. It all depends on the algorithms that decided the performances

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 11:21 PM Post #39,795 of 45,723
Because you have some high end gear it would be an advantage to feed it with the highest quality files, but if cost of services or storage is a factor your gear will still sound fantastic regardless.
I sometimes listen to some music from my S10 phone (FLAC/Hi-Res) and it sounds very satisfying although it's a nothing special 3.5mm headphone output.
Personally I use FLAC as a minimum and not mp3 because it sounds better to my ears, it's not night and day, kind of like a very thin veil of clarity or something I can't find the words for. I have some DSD albums that sound great, but will sound also great as a CD FLAC and perhaps even mp3, just my choice and mindset.
It comes down to what your ears hear and can be satisfied with and works for you financially.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back