SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2020 at 1:28 AM Post #39,196 of 45,723
I'm glad to own Gold Walkman. They are special. You will not come across something like this often. Last time I see Sony did this in Gold alloy was when cassette tapes are a thing back in early 90's.

WM1 signature series hold value much better when compared to most electronics like TVs, phones, and DSLR cameras.
It’s a site to behold and amazing audio. Love it

Jun 9, 2020 at 1:31 AM Post #39,197 of 45,723
I'm glad to own Gold Walkman. They are special. You will not come across something like this often. Last time I see Sony did this in Gold alloy was when cassette tapes are a thing back in early 90's.

WM1 signature series hold value much better when compared to most electronics like TVs, phones, and DSLR cameras.
Thanks all for your feedback. Ordered mine, wait for delivery.

Jun 9, 2020 at 1:32 AM Post #39,198 of 45,723
Jun 9, 2020 at 1:58 AM Post #39,199 of 45,723
I kept testing the Orion9 with other fw and like @Tanjiro mentioned I've come to the conclusion that the treble sacrifice is a thing... I love Orion9 for some genres but others lose some magic in the upper fq range. I'm still favoring Autumn+ for this reason, yet the warmth of Orion9 is a force to reckon.

I've been going through so many different combos I've lost count. I have finally found one that sounds perfect with the right amounty of everything; Orion 9 (3.02) with region E. Think I'll be staying on this for the time being. Fantastic tuning @RobertP!

Jun 9, 2020 at 2:20 AM Post #39,200 of 45,723
I've been going through so many different combos I've lost count. I have finally found one that sounds perfect with the right amounty of everything; Orion 9 (3.02) with region E. Think I'll be staying on this for the time being. Fantastic tuning @RobertP!

Try Ca and stock 3.0 2 tell me what you think ? Mx3 also not bad

Jun 9, 2020 at 2:36 AM Post #39,202 of 45,723
I have tried MX3 and liked that but not CA yet, will give it a go, thanks :). The sibilant issues don't seem as bad on E with Orion 9 either.

I hate E for high sharp treble lol

Jun 9, 2020 at 3:00 AM Post #39,203 of 45,723
Orion8 seems pretty damned perfect for smoothing / softening BA treble - don't know if it's my imagination, but with 8, it seems like the sound space has widened?!

Jun 9, 2020 at 3:02 AM Post #39,204 of 45,723
Orion8 seems pretty damned perfect for smoothing / softening BA treble - don't know if it's my imagination, but with 8, it seems like the sound space has widened?!

hey , i see you have 1A turned into 1z (with the switcher)

is the move worth it? stock 1a owner here , curious how this 1z pseudo-transition sounds....

currently i am on stock 1a / J region / 3.02 with Orion 5 , sunds great btw...

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2020 at 3:10 AM Post #39,205 of 45,723
Hi!
I have wm1a, and it sounds fantastic on most of the music genres with my Dunu DK-2001 and IMR R2 red headphones.

But when I try to listen to something really heavy, I feel some lack of "punch power". The bass is too accurate and moderate, and it steals some aggression and energy from the music (i.e. remastered Sepultura).
My other sources are "classic" Hifiman 603 and Fiio X7 II + AM3D, both of them give much more energy when playing heavy music.
I've tried downgrading to 3.01, looks like it adds a bit energy, but "bass explosion" is still missing.

Did anyone notice that? Maybe there is somе firmware, that I should try?

Jun 9, 2020 at 3:15 AM Post #39,206 of 45,723
hey , i see you have 1A turned into 1z (with the switcher)

is the move worth it? stock 1a owner here , curious how this 1z pseudo-transition sounds....

currently i am on stock 1a / J region / 3.02 with Orion 5 , sunds great btw...
I haven't given myself opportunity to listen to stock 1A versus stock 1A with stock Z tuning, my reason for switching was to open myself up to the extra tunings available - for how simple the process is, it would be definitely worth the try

Jun 9, 2020 at 3:28 AM Post #39,207 of 45,723
Hi!
I have wm1a, and it sounds fantastic on most of the music genres with my Dunu DK-2001 and IMR R2 red headphones.

But when I try to listen to something really heavy, I feel some lack of "punch power". The bass is too accurate and moderate, and it steals some aggression and energy from the music (i.e. remastered Sepultura).
My other sources are "classic" Hifiman 603 and Fiio X7 II + AM3D, both of them give much more energy when playing heavy music.
I've tried downgrading to 3.01, looks like it adds a bit energy, but "bass explosion" is still missing.

Did anyone notice that? Maybe there is somе firmware, that I should try?
Hi, which region do you have? I just got mine recently and found the E (English firmware 3.02) lacking in bass - I switched to J and have found it better, but I would like to try some of the tuning mods for a better low end. I had a Q5s with AM3D amp and it had more sub bass.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2020 at 4:32 AM Post #39,208 of 45,723
Hi, which region do you have? I just got mine recently and found the E (English firmware 3.02) lacking in bass - I switched to J and have found it better, but I would like to try some of the tuning mods for a better low end. I had a Q5s with AM3D amp and it had more sub bass.
I've tried J and CA regions.
I also have Q5s with stock AM3E and AM3D amps. It's quite bright comparing to WM1A

Jun 9, 2020 at 4:54 AM Post #39,209 of 45,723
The benefits are exactly what it was designed for. As a charging stand. So when I listen to my WM1A on my desktop and when connected to a dac it looks nice and tidy and the wire conveniently loops out through it. As in my pic.
Keep the WM1A/1Z on charging stand while charging and playing music, will it deteriorate the battery lifespan? I would rather listen until the last battery bar then only do a battery saving charge.95% ?

Jun 9, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #39,210 of 45,723
as i said to @RobertP via pm , i am amazed by how good orion 5 sounds with my Zeus XR on my stock wm1a (J region)

i feel like my stock wm1a sounds better than ever , it's so good i don't feel like trying another FW (for now)

fantastic job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back