SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 18, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #36,496 of 45,723
I have been questioned a few times about the 1Z because the xray can’t penetrate it but no problems

That's my concern, just don't need the hassle. The density of the copper will no doubt trigger some and having to then explain; the why, wherefore and what for is beyond tedious. Been at this for years, much depends on the routes and destinations and although international travel sounds like a great gig it mostly isn't these days...

Q-6

Apr 18, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #36,497 of 45,723
Likewise, on domestic flights it seems to be better, but on international flights my 1Z almost always raises questions and further scrutiny from airport security. Because of this I bought N6ii for plane travels, it’s just too risky for me if airport security decides to confiscate my 1Z.

Exactly, as there's little you can do, short of leaving the airport....

Q-6

Apr 18, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #36,498 of 45,723
To me it sounds as easy as just showing the guys the Sony webpage with the player, as well as turning it on in front of them to show them it's indeed a music player.

Yes, it would really suck to get your dap confiscated.

Is really very much down to the routes and the country, worse the individual concerned. Had multiple run in's with airport security, I appreciate the merit, equally don't appreciate the needless BS, stupidity or the sheer bloody mindedness at times. My experience over several decades, tells me that traveling with a big chunk of copper is asking for a problem. If I want a better set up at home I'll source a DMP, best of both worlds...

Q-6

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #36,499 of 45,723
After the airport security, a spot of anger management...
600x600bb.jpg
Sony's XBA-N3 will fix all your bass problems :) KMFDM - Oh My Goth

Next up....
600x600bb.jpg

Q-6

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #36,500 of 45,723
that RATM album is a highlight of everything that was right in the rock 90s and all that is sh.it in ''rock'' today

Torrential stuff , they don't make them like this anymore.

Apr 18, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #36,501 of 45,723
that RATM album is a highlight of everything that was right in the rock 90s and all that is sh.it in ''rock'' today

Torrential stuff , they don't make them like this anymore.

Right on brother, all this nonsense today is totally needless, there's good and bad in all walks of life. Rocking out KMDF with Richard Stanley's The Island of Dr Moreau on the big screen Soon as Rage hits the ear's I'll be pushing the volume hard...

600x600bb.jpg

Q-6

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #36,502 of 45,723
Right on brother, all this nonsense today is totally needless, there's good and bad in all walks of life. Rocking out KMDF with Richard Stanley's The Island of Dr Moreau on the big screen Soon as Rage hits the ear's I'll be pushing the volume hard...

Q-6

let me send you a stellar 24/96 vinyl rip of RATM see what you think....

Apr 18, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #36,503 of 45,723
Well, it's not like I didn't want to. Too bad now.
You wanted to join and call us selfish and liars when i rejected u. I also want to state that whatever u made and shared isn't related with us. I'm glad they are not from our help and knowledge, which u still have little.

I don't care what a stock 1A/1Z performs with a FW now. I'm out. May u guys enjoy the party. Put u back to ignore list (and the list only contains you alone)

Apr 18, 2020 at 10:14 PM Post #36,504 of 45,723
You wanted to join and call us selfish and liars when i rejected u. I also want to state that whatever u made and shared isn't related with us. I'm glad they are not from our help and knowledge, which u still have little.

I don't care what a stock 1A/1Z performs with a FW now. I'm out. May u guys enjoy the party. Put u back to ignore list (and the list only contains you alone)

I called you "liar" (didn't use this exact term) when you suggested that there are .UPG firmware file modifications in place for your mods, which is not true.

At the moment, the encryption for the firmware of the WM1/DMP-Z1/ZX300/ZX300A (including A30 Series for example) was not yet cracked. The firmware for these devices are using a different type of encryption than others like A20 Series for example.

So I didn't call you a "liar" for no reason. The actual term that was used is that you are trying to mislead people. All the tuning takes place in the SWUpdate.xml file. The .UPG that you included in each of your mod is the stock DMP-Z1 firmware which you (still) believe that it's being flashed or partially flashed for some reason, without doing some research first. That file has to be decrypted by the player after the player reboots, and then a script is executed which applies everything in the .UPG to the device's memory and this is not the case, as the player quickly reboots when it realises it cannot decrypt the .UPG you included, because it's not encrypted with the same key (as it belongs to the DMP-Z1).

I can understand that you don't want to share, but at least don't say things which are not true. That's all I ask!

Let's maybe not go further with this discussion and call it a day.

Put u back to ignore list (and the list only contains you alone)

I won't want you trying to say things which are not true again, so I'm totally fine with this, thanks!

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2020 at 10:36 PM Post #36,505 of 45,723
I don't want to just say something without some evidence first.

Check this out, the "Upgrade process" part: https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWAnalysis

Also, this is an example of an upgrade script that's inside an .UPG (extracted by myself from some firmware which doesn't use this new type of encryption which is not supported yet):

Code:
#!/bin/sh

NVP_FNI="0x00000000"
NVP_SID="0x00000000"
NVP_MLK="0x41544b20"

##################################
echo "------ INIT SEQUENCE ------"

ROOTFS_TMP_DIR=/tmp/rootfs

source /install_script/constant.txt

_UPDATE_FN_=`nvpstr ufn`
if [ "$?" != 0 ]; then
    echo "nvpstr(ufn) error"
    fwfb /root/fwup_err.rgb
    exit 1
fi

####################################################
echo "------ FORMAT AND MOUNT ROOT PARTITION ------"

if [ -e /usr/local/bin/icx_mkfs.ext4 ]; then
    MKFS_CMD="/usr/local/bin/icx_mkfs.ext4"
else
    MKFS_CMD="mkfs.ext3"
fi
echo "MKFS_CMD=$MKFS_CMD"

$MKFS_CMD $COMMON_ROOTFS_PARTITION
if [ "$?" != 0 ]; then
    echo "mkfs(root) error"
    fwfb /root/fwup_err.rgb
    exit 1
fi

mkdir $ROOTFS_TMP_DIR
if [ "$?" != 0 ]; then
    echo "mkdir(tmp) error"
    fwfb /root/fwup_err.rgb
    exit 1
fi

if [ -e /usr/local/bin/icx_mount.ext4 ]; then
    MOUNT_CMD="/usr/local/bin/icx_mount.ext4"
else
    MOUNT_CMD="mount -t ext3"
fi
echo "MOUNT_CMD=$MOUNT_CMD"

$MOUNT_CMD $COMMON_ROOTFS_PARTITION $ROOTFS_TMP_DIR
if [ "$?" != 0 ]; then
    echo "mount(root) error"
    fwfb /root/fwup_err.rgb
    exit 1
fi

#################################################
echo "------ WRITE COMMON KERNEL & ROOTFS ------"

fwpup -f /contents/$_UPDATE_FN_.UPG -k 1 -r 2 | tar -C $ROOTFS_TMP_DIR -xvzf -
if [ "$?" != 0 ]; then
    echo "fwpup error"
    fwfb /root/fwup_err.rgb
    exit 1
fi

###########################################
echo "------ UNMOUNT ROOT PARTITION ------"

sync
if [ "$?" != 0 ]; then
    echo "sync error"
    fwfb /root/fwup_err.rgb
    exit 1
fi

umount $ROOTFS_TMP_DIR
if [ "$?" != 0 ]; then
    echo "umount(mnt) error"
    fwfb /root/fwup_err.rgb
    exit 1
fi

###############################
echo "------ UPDATE NVP ------"

/usr/local/bin/nvpflag -x fni $NVP_FNI
if [ "$?" != 0 ]; then
    echo "nvpflag fni $NVP_FNI error"
    exit 1
fi

/usr/local/bin/nvpflag -x sid $NVP_SID
if [ "$?" != 0 ]; then
    echo "nvpflag sid $NVP_SID error"
    exit 1
fi

/usr/local/bin/nvpflag -x mlk $NVP_MLK
if [ "$?" != 0 ]; then
    echo "nvpflag mlk $NVP_MLK error"
    exit 1
fi

###########################################
echo "------ UPDATED!! ------"

exit 0

Why would you not do some research first and keep stating something which is not true? Also, the update process doesn't show an error if the file cannot be decrypted, it just restarts. You can try renaming a Notepad file to NW_WM_FW.UPG, and place it in the Software Update folder (in Data/Device) and try updating. You'll see it does exactly the same thing as for all mods, which is the update progress bar gets filled just a little and then the player restarts (as the signature doesn't match).

Sure, we could use the 3.02 stock UPG (mods will still work) but why flash again the device when we only want to apply the tuning?

Too bad you now ignored me and you can't see the message I guess.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #36,506 of 45,723
:astonished::dizzy_face::flushed::triumph:

Apr 18, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #36,507 of 45,723

Whoa, take it easy brother. Whatever transpired between you and him is not my concern, but let’s get the facts right. You and @Whitigir came up with the brilliant planet firmwares which we enjoyed and I personally liked some of them as well. Then bro @morgenstern09 came up with these brilliant season firmwares which i personally helped to test before they were officially released. The seasons firmware have a more streamlined installer and you can choose the firmware version prior to installing and it comes in a super small package. That, to me is innovation and research done right! I also liked some of them. So in a nutshell everyone here gets to enjoy different sounding walkmans due to the unselfish and kind nature of you, @Whitigir and @morgenstern09
So let’s chill, sit back and relax these awesome tunings and not compare who is smarter and who isn’t. The planets and seasons have an option for everyone, I’m sure of that and it just adds to the vast options we can enjoy with our beloved walkman. So let the planets align with the seasons and we all get the best of what we want. There is enough hatred in the world and this virus is eating us up. So let’s all live in harmony and be happy with our blessings. I’m leaving it at that. God bless everyone!

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #36,508 of 45,723
Whoa, take it easy brother. Whatever transpired between you and him is not my concern, but let’s get the facts right. You and @Whitigir came up with the brilliant planet firmwares which we enjoyed and I personally liked some of them as well. Then bro @morgenstern09 came up with these brilliant season firmwares which i personally helped to test before they were officially released. The seasons firmware have a more streamlined installer and you can choose the firmware version prior to installing and it comes in a super small package. That, to me is innovation and research done right! I also liked some of them. So in a nutshell everyone here gets to enjoy different sounding walkmans due to the unselfish and kind nature of you, @Whitigir and @morgenstern09
So let’s chill, sit back and relax these awesome tunings and not compare who is smarter and who isn’t. The planets and seasons have an option for everyone, I’m sure of that and it just adds to the vast options we can enjoy with our beloved walkman. So let the planets align with the seasons and we all get the best of what we want. There is enough hatred in the world and this virus is eating us up. So let’s all live in harmony and be happy with our blessings. I’m leaving it at that. God bless everyone!
God bless ya'all.
Im a wild troll living in vast forest feeding on rasberries. Our forest is far away from solar system so I don't know what seasons are like. Pls just ignore my rants cuz it's totally personal.
Sorry again, my last post here. Unwatched and get back to my LPs.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #36,509 of 45,723
God bless ya'all.
Im a wild troll living in vast forest feeding on rasberries. Our forest is far away from solar system so I don't know what seasons are like. Pls just ignore my rants cuz it's totally personal.
Sorry again, my last post here. Unwatched and get back to my LPs.

Yeah man, you are really funny, what can I say?

What is that forest called? The forest of throwing some mud to someone and when evidence is being provided in return, you avoid the subject?

I don't think anyone needs that here.

Just gonna ignore "trolls" like you from now on.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2020 at 4:13 AM Post #36,510 of 45,723
Im using Aether R which isnt harsh on Cayin N6ii, Fiio M11, Cayin N8 etc. It just doesnt seem to pair with stock ZX300 for my taste.

I triend EQ'ing, but wasnt able to reduce harshness without making it sound absurdly dark and dull.
Sony recommends 200 hours burn in - alot of people scoff at it but there are many ZX300 owners on the thread that will swear the sound improves. I experienced improvements with the bass - out of the box the ZX300's bass made the XBA-Z5 sound bloated which after 70+ hours became much tighter and ended up sounding glorious (definitely wasn't brain burn in)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back