SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 16, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #34,456 of 45,723
which region FW has the flattest bass/ subdued treble ?

is there such a FW ?

Mar 16, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #34,458 of 45,723
Ι went a bit back to 3.01 with J region , it is very good too (although i get a bit of a mid-bass hump , probably due to the new cable?)

In a few days though i may shake things up a bit , return to the Solar System

Speaking of space travelling , check your pm shortly - there is an ambient masterpiece vinyl rip coming up :)

Mar 16, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #34,459 of 45,723
Ι went a bit back to 3.01 with J region , it is very good too (although i get a bit of a mid-bass hump , probably due to the new cable?)

In a few days though i may shake things up a bit , return to the Solar System

Speaking of space travelling , check your pm shortly - there is an ambient masterpiece vinyl rip coming up :)
Stock FW is very good and sophisticated. The soundstage shrinks and the whole presentation is somewhat laid-back, more relaxed than the high density Solar flames. So it depends on what u are after

Mar 16, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #34,460 of 45,723
Stock and tier 1 are recommended for 1A.
Tier 2 is recommended for WM1Z, or MS modded 1A
Tier 3 is recommended for MS 1Z, or MS 1A
Solis is really recommended for at least MS 1Z ultimate, or Tier 4 Romni Audio.

It is like water and it hoses. If you open too much pressure, and the hose is cramped, then you will have very forcefully water spray which may hurts....where as if you has huge hoses, you would have Huge volumetric delivery smoothly :wink:

But feel free to explore as this is where the fun is at

New cables will need burn-in for sure

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #34,461 of 45,723
Stock FW is very good and sophisticated. The soundstage shrinks and the whole presentation is somewhat laid-back, more relaxed than the high density Solar flames. So it depends on what u are after

i think you are right , i feel like everything is closer to me on stock FW , i will probabaly go back to trying Mercury 1 as @Whitigir suggested

Mar 16, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #34,463 of 45,723
I am on solis region E2, like the cavernous soundstage
I can confirm I hear cavernous but may not be solis maybe E2, can someone check this? I hear ir louder than Mx3 and slight reverb on it!

MX3 ----- Detailed and rumbly low bass with loads of detail Stock FW of my 1A
J -------- Thick very warm and some mid-bass present elegant… is thick, rich & emotive
CN ------ Similar to MX3 but with better resolution slightly more piercing
CA ------ V sound
CEV ---- Elevated highs and more power shallow bass? slightly narrow and difuse highs
E -------- too much V to the point of being harsh in the highs
E2 ------ Cavernous and Loud Forward Sounding? (I hear that)

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #34,464 of 45,723
Gravitational waves were never measured and detected, it doesn’t mean that it doesn’t exist....it was just that no human could think of a way to measure it until now.

Interesting that you mention this. Scientists have measured gravitational waves using LIGO. Ironically one of the key engineers for LIGO was one of the top experts in signal noise reductions including for audio use. If I remember correctly, LIGO accuracy can detect movement on the order of magnitude of the height of Lincoln's nose on a penny placed on top of the Golden Gate bridge in San Francisco, but observed from the Empire State building in New York! That is some massive noise reduction.

Mar 16, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #34,465 of 45,723
Interesting that you mention this. Scientists have measured gravitational waves using LIGO. Ironically one of the key engineers for LIGO was one of the top experts in signal noise reductions including for audio use. If I remember correctly, LIGO accuracy can detect movement on the order of magnitude of the height of Lincoln's nose on a penny placed on top of the Golden Gate bridge in San Francisco, but observed from the Empire State building in New York! That is some massive noise reduction.
He is an Audiophile at heart, and years down the rabbit holes has lead him to LIGO :wink:
Later on, or most recently, the whole team has improved on the accuracy of LIGO by ....
Guess ?
Cryogenically treating Photons. So who says Cryogenic treatments doesn’t improve sound quality ? I know for a fact that all Furutech sound freaking wonderful, and they are cryogenically treated. But then again, let the pretends play their games.

I love science, and I also love music :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #34,466 of 45,723
Ι am back on stock 3.02 (J region) cause i remembered it to be very lean (bass-wise) on my stock WM1A , before this whole FWs thing

fun never ends :)

Mar 16, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #34,467 of 45,723
Try CEV last night. For my setup, it's surprisingly much better than E region for some reason. Overall, it reminded me a lot of my WM1Z with fw 3.02. Very noticeable extended depth than E, really nice imaging with excellent background isolation, resolution is just ridiculous IMO, smoother, heavier drum kicks, slightly less high extension than E and that is a good thing beacuse bad recording tracks also sound great, and warmth organic mid. I keep went back and forth between U1.02 and solisT5 at the moment. They are very nice!

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #34,469 of 45,723
The balanced cable port really annoys me. My pair of XBA-Z5's broke on me a year ago and the balanced port on the NW-WM1A is a constant reminder of Sony's crappy customer service on its earbuds :/

Assuming the balanced port is only usable with sony buds?
What ? Balanced port can be used with any earbuds that Has the 4.4mm cables accordingly, regardless of Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back