SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 15, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #34,412 of 45,723
So us Mac users are out of luck with these firmware tweaks?
I did create macOS versions of these firmwares and shared them with Morbideath. The macOS versions only work with macOS Mojave 10.14 or earlier.

They were publicly available with the Windows versions before they had to take them down.

Mar 15, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #34,413 of 45,723
The last time I looked at the Rockbox tool was 3 years ago when I changed the region on my UK WM1Z to remove the volume cap.

One thing I just noticed in the Rockbox documentation. It appears to indicate that high gain is not available in the J region. Is this true?

Second - I changed my region 3 years ago when I borrowed a Windows computer (I am a Mac user).
Is there any way for me to see what region I changed my 1Z to somewhere in the settings on the device? Or does it needs to be connected to a Windows computer again in order to see the region.

Mar 15, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #34,415 of 45,723
The last time I looked at the Rockbox tool was 3 years ago when I changed the region on my UK WM1Z to remove the volume cap.

One thing I just noticed in the Rockbox documentation. It appears to indicate that high gain is not available in the J region. Is this true?

Second - I changed my region 3 years ago when I borrowed a Windows computer (I am a Mac user).
Is there any way for me to see what region I changed my 1Z to somewhere in the settings on the device? Or does it needs to be connected to a Windows computer again in order to see the region.
FYI, there is a Linux version of Rockbox tool. So macOS users should be able to use it in a virtualized environment.

Mar 15, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #34,416 of 45,723
I know this would probably be impossible but I would love if someone could make a sort of bootloader for the 1a/1z, and you would store the files on the internal memory, so every time you reset, on startup it could ask what region and what firmware you wanted and start it up as such. probably would take longer than a normal startup but it would be worth it for experimenting with different regions, firmwares, and iems in a more convenient and efficient way. either way, again, probably just a pipe dream and impossible to make, but it's always nice to dream!

Mar 15, 2020 at 11:23 PM Post #34,417 of 45,723
I know this would probably be impossible but I would love if someone could make a sort of bootloader for the 1a/1z, and you would store the files on the internal memory, so every time you reset, on startup it could ask what region and what firmware you wanted and start it up as such. probably would take longer than a normal startup but it would be worth it for experimenting with different regions, firmwares, and iems in a more convenient and efficient way. either way, again, probably just a pipe dream and impossible to make, but it's always nice to dream!
Would be an awesome wet dream indeed. But the rock box tool would not be able to execute itself on the walkman. That is a big challenge

Mar 16, 2020 at 2:48 AM Post #34,418 of 45,723
E and E2 are different running 3.02

E2 has more power than E.
E is more V shape while E2 is more balanced.

I am running E2 for my setup.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2020 at 5:36 AM Post #34,419 of 45,723
Hi, here's a stupid question ... how to check which firmware that I have installed in my Walkman ? I really forgot whether mine is Jupiter Tier 2 or Tier 3 ?

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2020 at 5:47 AM Post #34,420 of 45,723
That's my question since the beginning of those news firmwares parameters ..
I tried also to measure frequency response, waterfall, distortion etc with a minidsp ears and I couldn't confirm any difference between all installed firmwares on my WM1A ..
So I suspect, I could never install them correctly till now.
I was hoping someone would also measure any difference somewhere between firmwares, but no one did it these last weeks, so I have no idea of where to look to confirm some parts of the changes.

Mar 16, 2020 at 5:49 AM Post #34,421 of 45,723
Hi, here's a stupid question ... how to check which firmware that I have installed in my Walkman ? I really forgot whether mine is Jupiter Tier 2 or Tier 3 ?

i think you only get 3.02 - what i do , in the folder where i store all FWs i have a txt file and i just write which FW i have installed by date

05.03 Mercury T2(universal always)
06.03 venus T2(universal always)-got some sibilance
11.03 Mercury T3(universal) LIKED IT A LOT
11.03 Jupiter T3(universal always) FELING PLASTIC AND HOLLOW
11.03 Venus T3(universal) GOOD BUT SOMEHOW CLOSE
12.03 SOLIS T5
16.03 Mercury T3(universal)

Mar 16, 2020 at 6:01 AM Post #34,422 of 45,723
i think you only get 3.02 - what i do , in the folder where i store all FWs i have a txt file and i just write which FW i have installed by date

05.03 Mercury T2(universal always)
06.03 venus T2(universal always)-got some sibilance
11.03 Mercury T3(universal) LIKED IT A LOT
11.03 Jupiter T3(universal always) FELING PLASTIC AND HOLLOW
11.03 Venus T3(universal) GOOD BUT SOMEHOW CLOSE
12.03 SOLIS T5
16.03 Mercury T3(universal)

I fully understand only firmware 3.0.2 can be seen in UNIT INFORMATION. Thanks for your good tips, looks like i need to recall the firmware J2AU or J3AU , reinstalled again. I created exactly the similar folder structure/directory for these firmwares, good to describe them based on my preference may be with ***** rating at the filename :D

Mar 16, 2020 at 6:02 AM Post #34,423 of 45,723
That's my question since the beginning of those news firmwares parameters ..
I tried also to measure frequency response, waterfall, distortion etc with a minidsp ears and I couldn't confirm any difference between all installed firmwares on my WM1A ..
So I suspect, I could never install them correctly till now.
I was hoping someone would also measure any difference somewhere between firmwares, but no one did it these last weeks, so I have no idea of where to look to confirm some parts of the changes.
I would say just use your ears.

Mar 16, 2020 at 6:14 AM Post #34,424 of 45,723
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/newworld666.519448/

Only way is to reinstall to make sure.

Mar 16, 2020 at 6:26 AM Post #34,425 of 45,723
Gravitational waves were never measured and detected, it doesn’t mean that it doesn’t exist....it was just that no human could think of a way to measure it until now.

So let’s keep that in mind

Anyways, as @Redcarmoose said, just use your ears. If you are not satisfied, stock firmware is the best

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back