SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 5, 2020 at 1:20 AM Post #33,391 of 45,723
Just to let everyone know that I am owner of my wm1z for 2 years. My friend sold it to me and I am kinda third owner.
Well imagine that I have always been on region E and after 2 years of listening to it...
With new fw I realized how miserable I was on region E it had all that strange bass and peaky treble with scooped mids!

I am so thankful from bottom of my heart that you guys brought this up and let us change the sound to our preferences.

So why the hell I had to suffer Sony!!!? Region E is a complet mess of a sound tuning seriously!

I am now region J + j3zu
What a wonderful tuning.

Sony should learn from this and realise that playing the fool with different regions sound tuning is a mess! We still found out about it and are not happy!

Sony should make best possible tuning on such expensive and premium sound signature series devices.
This is unacceptable to have such big difference in sound from one to another region!

Well that was my frustration after I found out what was really going on with my device !

Thanks @Morbideath and @Whitigir for helping us all out of this miseries )

Even with the lousy Region E tuning, your 1Z still had the N6ii and N8 beaten... :L3000:

Mar 5, 2020 at 1:24 AM Post #33,392 of 45,723
Actually SONY could just release or sell a signature series software to let pro users tune their own WALKMAN to maximise their own audio setup.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2020 at 1:26 AM Post #33,393 of 45,723
Actually SONY could just release or sell a signature series software to let pro users tune their own WALKMAN.

Yes, but firmware doesn’t affect the sound?

Mar 5, 2020 at 1:28 AM Post #33,394 of 45,723
Actually SONY could just release or sell a signature series software to let pro users tune their own WALKMAN.
Actually they already offer a very capable EQ, DSEE HX, DC Linear and Vinyl Processor which are much more sophisticated than most DSPs offered by other DAPs. Who knows there's so much potential for tunings lying within our little portable "bricks".....

Mar 5, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #33,395 of 45,723
Do you think it is possible for someone to find a way to run Android on this brick?

Mar 5, 2020 at 2:17 AM Post #33,397 of 45,723
Regions.jpg

From RockBox

i see a Tourist option , in both E and E2, is ths the Japan tourist or does itbelong to J for Japan ?

Mar 5, 2020 at 2:48 AM Post #33,399 of 45,723
Do these firmwares change the sound when the Walkman is operating as a Bluetooth source? I presume they only operate during digital / analogue conversions, therefore they won't change the signal sent to another device through Bluetooth, but I may be wrong. Can somebody please shed some light.

Mar 5, 2020 at 2:50 AM Post #33,400 of 45,723
i see a Tourist option , in both E and E2, is ths the Japan tourist or does itbelong to J for Japan ?
I want to know this as well. Does the Japanese tourist version with the J code?

Mar 5, 2020 at 2:53 AM Post #33,401 of 45,723
Do these firmwares change the sound when the Walkman is operating as a Bluetooth source? I presume they only operate during digital / analogue conversions, therefore they won't change the signal sent to another device through Bluetooth, but I may be wrong. Can somebody please shed some light.
it does change the sound signature, it changes the sound signature of the overall sound processing, not of the file processing. i was using it as a bt dap today and believe me, it does make a change

Mar 5, 2020 at 3:47 AM Post #33,402 of 45,723
Just to let everyone know that I am owner of my wm1z for 2 years. My friend sold it to me and I am kinda third owner.
Well imagine that I have always been on region E and after 2 years of listening to it...
With new fw I realized how miserable I was on region E it had all that strange bass and peaky treble with scooped mids!

I am so thankful from bottom of my heart that you guys brought this up and let us change the sound to our preferences.

So why the hell I had to suffer Sony!!!? Region E is a complet mess of a sound tuning seriously!

I am now region J + j3zu
What a wonderful tuning.

Sony should learn from this and realise that playing the fool with different regions sound tuning is a mess! We still found out about it and are not happy!

Sony should make best possible tuning on such expensive and premium sound signature series devices.
This is unacceptable to have such big difference in sound from one to another region!

Well that was my frustration after I found out what was really going on with my device !

Thanks @Morbideath and @Whitigir for helping us all out of this miseries )

I believe synergy and personal preference is the key here. I much prefer E than J, for me personally J is just too thick and bassy, soundstage becomes narrower. So to call region E a complete mess is not really true :)

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2020 at 4:02 AM Post #33,403 of 45,723
[/QUOTE]
I believe synergy and personal preference is the key here. I much prefer E than J, for me personally J is just to thick and bassy, soundstage becomes narrower. So to call region E a complete mess is not really true :)
it all depends on the preferences / cable / you currently iem , for me the J region is the weakest , soundstage is very tight , narrow and for me sounds mainly in the head or on face. Now with Ex1000 / Obravo cabel 4.4mm / wm1z / region CVE / DMP Z1 1.02 in this combination of all available DMP Z1 1.02 for me is closest to perfection I still like the CA region amazing bass but again the soundstage is narrow ..
Thank You everyone for the effort in creating this firmware its a fascinating adventure with 1A / 1z :)

Attachments

• 20200228_075453.jpg
    20200228_075453.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 5, 2020 at 4:06 AM Post #33,404 of 45,723
it all depends on the preferences / cable / you currently have for me the J region is the weakest soundstage is very tight and sounds mainly in the head or on face now Ex1000 / Obravo cabel 4.4mm / wm1z / region CVE / DMP Z1 1.02 in this combination of all available DMP Z1 1.02 for me is closest to perfection I still like the CA region amazing bass but again the soundstage is narrow ..
Thank You everyone for the effort in creating this firmware its a fascinating adventure with 1A / 1z :)

Yes fully agree with you, like I said, synergy is key.

Mar 5, 2020 at 4:10 AM Post #33,405 of 45,723
it all depends on the preferences / cable / you currently have for me the J region is the weakest soundstage is very tight and sounds mainly in the head or on face now Ex1000 / Obravo cabel 4.4mm / wm1z / region CVE / DMP Z1 1.02 in this combination of all available DMP Z1 1.02 for me is closest to perfection I still like the CA region amazing bass but again the soundstage is narrow ..
u meant region CEV for East Europe?
for myself J has the largest soundstage and best timbre. CA has the most mid-bass presence. But tonal balance is easy to achieve through FW or some dirty EQ, soundstage and timbre are hard to tuned without sacrificing other factors, so we used J as the basis for modding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back