SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #33,031 of 45,723
Mar 1, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #33,032 of 45,723
This is odd.
I created them on Hackintosh running Mojave 10.14.6. I then ran the updaters on a MBP (Mid-2018 15" (Touch Bar)) and Hackintosh running Mojave 10.14.6.x
What language is your macOS configured for and do you have any third party security software products installed?
Also, can you run the Sony official 3.02 installer?

MacOS configured in English.
Yes the official Sony 3.02 runs fine.
I get the same error messages as other people posted last Thursday and Friday when you first posted these files.
I tried on a machine running Mojave and not on my Catalina machine.

Was there anything else I needed to do other than simply double click the installer you created when a firmware was unzipped?

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #33,035 of 45,723
MacOS configured in English.
Yes the official Sony 3.02 runs fine.
I get the same error messages as other people posted last Thursday and Friday when you first posted these files.
I tried on a machine running Mojave and not on my Catalina machine.

Was there anything else I needed to do other than simply double click the installer you created when a firmware was unzipped?
How I installed was launching the installer without the Walkman connected.

After getting to the point where is asks for my admin password is when I connect the Walkman. It then installs the firmware and reboots twice and it's running new firmware.

Mar 1, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #33,037 of 45,723
How I installed was launching the installer without the Walkman connected.

After getting to the point where is asks for my admin password is when I connect the Walkman. It then installs the firmware and reboots twice and it's running new firmware.

I think they simply didn’t work, I don’t know why. But following the detailed steps you provided, I successfully converted the exe files into dmg files.

So for every Mac users here, I would recommend everyone to follow the link I provided in my previous post.

Mar 1, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #33,038 of 45,723
I think they simply didn’t work, I don’t know why. But following the detailed steps you provided, I successfully converted the exe files into dmg files.

So for every Mac users here, I would recommend everyone to follow the link I provided in my previous post.

same for me as they simply didn’t work. I will try the detailed steps. They might be a little above my pay grade however will give it a try.

Mar 1, 2020 at 9:14 PM Post #33,039 of 45,723
The best firmware for me are those from Whitigir, the man should receive some kind of donation and be hailed for his work. I haven't been back to this thread for a while and it's amazing to see how it has been growing

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #33,041 of 45,723
I am glad you are enjoying it
You should make more and receive some kind of donation for them. Your sound preference really hit my alley
I can understand why many people are attracted to U1.02, it's V shape which brings out details and bass more but for me, I care about the tonal balance and the mid

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #33,042 of 45,723
You should make more and receive some kind of donation for them. Your sound preference really hit my alley
I can understand why many people are attracted to U1.02, it's V shape which brings out details and bass more but for me, I care about the tonal balance and the mid

I thought that u1.02 was imported by @Morbideath
Am I missing some fw ....

Mar 1, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #33,043 of 45,723
I thought that u1.02 was imported by @Morbideath
Am I missing some fw ....
The rest of them are from Desk24 and others from China except DMP Musical, Original, Fun ones which are made by Whitigir

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #33,044 of 45,723

My goal the last couple days has been to find out how close I can get with the new mod-firmware and 1A......in direct comparison to the 1Z with 3.02 firmware update.

So it’s Stock 1Z against Mod software 1A using the IER-Z1R....no J region change done.

The reason for this challenge was that the 1Z with 3.02 and the IER-Z1R was a personal apex in sound. I choose to use the above song............and side by side tests were really easy simply starting the song in the 1A then switching the plug to the 1Z with both players on high output direct at 098 volume level. I don’t feel the need to do a blind test, but it’s a simple procedure of having someone switch the plug. The farthest I went with the song was until the vocals started on each player. Song file is 44.1/24bit. Both players in Direct Mode.

My findings:

Well first of all I have not used all the firmwares with the modifications. So your personal results may vary from mine. I found with the 1A the U1.02 to be better than D1.02, so I simply continued my test with the main/favorite IEM in question............the IER-Z1R. The 1A /D1.02 combination was not as clear or fluid with the IER-Z1R. There was a slight forced nature with D1.02 which the U1.02 overcame with considerable ease. Though generally I would regard the 1A as a more in-your-face..............slightly forced experience where the 1Z is still more natural and slightly laid-back!

Though D1.02 is amazing with the Noble Encore and 1A.

Results:

Zero regional changes at this point.
1Z has over 1000 hours and 1A has over 500 hours. Both players used with stock IER-Z1R with maybe 300 hours burn-in and stock 4.4mm included cable.

At 098 volume the volume of 3.02 on the 1Z and U1.02 on the 1A seem relatively close. Though this is a different than normal approximation as you think one is louder then the other due to tone differences. This post has been long enough so I’ll cut to the chase.

1) Even though U1.02 takes a stock 1A to an incredible place................the 1Z with 3.02 stock is still a good percent better. Why?

2) The 1Z with 3.02 is still offering it’s fuller more natural soundstage filled with slight warmth over the 1A. And while the faster attack and decay of the 1A may appeal to many, there is simply a bigger and better response from the 1Z at this point. I say bigger as images are fuller, better studied, more robust and more lifelike detailed.

3) In defense the 1A, while sounding slightly forced, offers a one of a kind hyper detailed experience with really nothing out of place, offering staggering resolution and entertainment.

Even after all this, I must conclude; one player sounds like honey and one player sounds like Diet Coke still?
Cheers!

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #33,045 of 45,723

Followed instructions and under an old MacBook Pro running Mojave it "appears" I was able to do it.
The problem is - how do I know if I was successful? If I look at the 1Z in settings the firmware reads 3.02.
Will it always read 3.02 regardless of which firmware you play around with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back