SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2020 at 7:20 AM Post #32,972 of 45,723
Mar 1, 2020 at 7:24 AM Post #32,973 of 45,723
I know everyone is very excited to take their Walkman and have the upgrades, but hold your horses. There are a few things I will need to mention to many people

1/ Stock Walkman sounds the way that it does because it has to be a Walkman .... aka portable, with good sound quality that even an EarPods can be enjoyed plugging in

2/ I never realized this much, and while I have been posting over and over again that i have never seen such Hardware build quality of any other Portable players the way the Walkman is, the 1A is Cheap for it price. The 1Z pricing is correct.
Somehow, there are something that is holding these guys back.

3/ The better the device can perform, the more of “the negatives” will be coming from others related things that is attached to it. Everything will effect sound performances

4/ Synergies between your player, cables, gears, and the harmony between your system with the genres and records that you have all play a role. Now, we understand why firmware should never be tinkered with ? It is better to roll and upgrade your cables and gears rather than firmware

Walkman is the way it is because it has to be much more universal and friendly than other devices. But understand this, everything has a trade off....synergies also bother people with high end expensive desktop gears as well

Mar 1, 2020 at 7:41 AM Post #32,974 of 45,723
I completely forgot about this thread :). Came back today & saw 30 pages to catch up on!!

Lol 30 pages.
5DC856FA-BB42-4FBD-99A5-B10AD21643EB.gif

Mar 1, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #32,975 of 45,723
3/ The better the device can perform, the more of “the negatives” will be coming from others related things that is attached to it. Everything will effect sound performances

Will these "negatives" arise in the future?

Can these firmware mods somehow damage or decrease the lifespan of our players?

Mar 1, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #32,976 of 45,723
Hi all, newbie here, although I have been reading this forum for a while.

I simply had to register and post my appreciation. With the 1A, I had settled on 3.01 after trying a number of Sony firmwares, but now, wow, to me D1.02 has taken it to another level. Previously, I was forever tinkering with the EQ and settings between tracks to try and get the sound I wanted, but with the D1.02 firmware and it set on direct source, bass is there without compromising the sparkle, depth is there, soundstage is superb, and it is just a delight to listen to now.

By all accounts on this forum, I also need to set the region to J? I'm currently on AUS region but I'm a little sceptical about changing it.

Anyway, just a massive thank you to all the contributors to this forum, in particular, Morbideath :)

Mar 1, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #32,978 of 45,723

I simply had to register and post my appreciation. With the 1A, I had settled on 3.01 after trying a number of Sony firmwares, but now, wow, to me D1.02 has taken it to another level. Previously, I was forever tinkering with the EQ and settings between tracks to try and get the sound I wanted, but with the D1.02 firmware and it set on direct source, bass is there without compromising the sparkle, depth is there, soundstage is superb, and it is just a delight to listen to now.

By all accounts on this forum, I also need to set the region to J? I'm currently on AUS region but I'm a little sceptical about changing it.

Anyway, just a massive thank you to all the contributors to this forum, in particular, Morbideath :)

u can try it. it will not do any harm to your device, and if u are not satisfied with the change, it's easy to switch back

Mar 1, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #32,979 of 45,723

Change your region to J. You won’t regret it. Took me less than 1 min to do it. You will notice a difference immediately even before loading any of the mod firmwares here. 3.02 used to be very tinny sounding and harsh. With the j mod, the bass is back and warmth returns.

Mar 1, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #32,981 of 45,723
funny enuf, i havent tried this yet with my higher end gear.

as i have been using DMP1.02 on wm1a with a willsound mk2 earbud with a balanced cable and i just can't take em off, they can easily bring a tear to your eye :D

Mar 1, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #32,982 of 45,723
No, the “Negatives” I am referring to is that your headphones, earbuds, cables will effect the sounds and performances.

Ok good to hear. Guess I was just remembering that joining the "Dark Side" in a certain movie series came at quite a price for it's members:)

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #32,985 of 45,723
Its Its funny but with my new pw1960 4 wires cable I seem to prefer stock 3.02 fw as @Whitigir said synergy just affects everything....
But with my gold plated silver cable I love the dmp1.02 much more then my setup with pw1960 + 3.02 stock.

I am also a bit disappointed in my pw1960 sound . It makes that treble that copper cable emits which annoys my ears.
My gold plated silver has much smoother and silkier treble (

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back