SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 12, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #21,016 of 45,723
Yes, but I have less than 40 hours on my 1Z.

Also...
I think those who might be curious about this example of Witigir's handiwork would be better served by
someone whose hearing acuity and listening discrimination were a few levels beyond mine.
I could discern differences between a DSF file and the 24 /175,4 FLAC from the same file.

Jun 12, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #21,017 of 45,723
Love the Z1R, one of my favourite headphones that I have owned.

I appreciate the interest shown in my suggestion that someone who is familiar with the sound of the fully burned in stock 1Z (and accessible to the New York City area) connect with me for the purpose of taking the temperature of Whitigir's heretofore undocumented (ultra pure silver wiring) 1Z mod.

To report...
So far no one has PM'ed me.

Anyone?

Jun 12, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #21,018 of 45,723
I appreciate the interest shown in my suggestion that someone who is familiar with the sound of the fully burned in stock 1Z (and accessible to the New York City area) connect with me for the purpose of taking the temperature of Whitigir's heretofore undocumented (ultra pure silver wiring) 1Z mod.

To report...
So far no one has PM'ed me.

Anyone?
I would like to but I am in Germany. Too much of an effort, lol.

Jun 12, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #21,019 of 45,723
I'm local to you and have a 1Z, however right now I don't have time to meet up.

Jun 12, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #21,020 of 45,723
just burn in the stock WM1Z and then keep the one you like best

doesn't matter what other people may hear/think , you are the one whose opinion matters solely here

Yes...certainly, I can keep the one I like best.
Or keep both.
(The DAPs are relatively heavy, but they don't take up much room.)

What I had in mind is not about having someone help me decide which 1Z I ought to keep...
But rather to help in advancing the science.

By having someone more qualified than I report on any changes of sound quality which an alteration of wiring may have
effectuated.

BTW:
Whitigir's wiring mod was only done to the balanced output.
So...
Ideally the person who accepts my proposal will have been using his 1Z out of the balanced side.

Still...
So far no one has pm'd me.
Anyone???

Jun 12, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #21,021 of 45,723
every person hears differently , in this hobby the only important factor is finding what you like sound-wise and go after it

you don't need another person's opinion , if i were you i would just burn the stock and keep one if they are close by in sound signatures

cheers :smile_phones:

Jun 12, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #21,022 of 45,723
Yes...certainly, I can keep the one I like best.
Or keep both.
(The DAPs are relatively heavy, but they don't take up much room.)

What I had in mind is not about having someone help me decide which 1Z I ought to keep...
But rather to help in advancing the science.

By having someone more qualified than I report on any changes of sound quality which an alteration of wiring may have
effectuated.

BTW:
Whitigir's wiring mod was only done to the balanced output.
So...
Ideally the person who accepts my proposal will have been using his 1Z out of the balanced side.

Still...
So far no one has pm'd me.
Anyone???

I would say this, you can compare your 1Z stock vs the Modded 1Z On balanced and see if you can hear the differences. Then start going from there :), post up if you are curious about any specific questions, I may be able to give some inputs :).

I am sure you will be able to find someone in NYC to take you up on this comparisons, just give it some times

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #21,024 of 45,723
I only listen to balanced.

I'll PM you when I get some time to meet somewhere in Manhattan.

Jun 12, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #21,027 of 45,723
The Shure SRH1540 headphones out of the Sony NW WM1A balanced output is sublime. Both player and headphones are burned in. This one of my absolute favorite combinations. I have headphones approaching $2,000 that I don't like as much.

Jun 12, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #21,029 of 45,723
Are you using a custom made 4.4mm cable... or???

A big shout-out to Surf Cables. They stand by their product. 4.4 balanced cable is awesome and reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back