SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 11, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #21,001 of 45,723
I see them listed under authorized dealers. Just making sure someone doesn't know something I don't. I don't want to be sold something that is advertised as Sony USA version if it isn't. Does anyone have experience buying a WM1A through Razordog Audio?

Bought my 1Z from them ($2,399 at the time) and have purchased several headphones from them as well. Never a problem, and they always responded to my communications.

Jun 11, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #21,002 of 45,723
But also they both were modified models, which seems to add a level of complexity. Was the upgraded wire the same? Were they upgraded by the same person? Were they upgraded exactly the same way. Way too many variations to state that the music you listen to changes the sound signature after burn in. I would be more inline to belive it if the test was on stock units.

Still if any units were going to show a character change due to style of music used on burn-in..........the 1Z and 1A would be the players. They are pretty much a proven device to change upon burn-in.. unarguably!

I listen to an variety of genres except for jazz, & country & rap music. As my Sony WM1Z isn’t modded as it costs $1000 extra. It still sounds fantastic with nearly 500hrs burn in. I

Jun 11, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #21,003 of 45,723
thank you for the suggestion. I have tried both turning the dacs on first then the sony and vice versa. I can connect via bluetooth no probs as well but not a sausage via the USB.

This is an interesting problem. The Walkman can do digital out via the Walkman port, so that it is used solely as a transport. Thinking a bit sideways, I wonder if the answer lies in the TA ZH1ES and more specifically, how the Walkmans connect to it. Anybody kicking around these forums have the Walkman and the 1ES and care to comment? Looking at the back of the 1ES, there is a USB-B input, but nothing appearing to offer direct support for micro USB as input. Micro USB has 5 pins, USB B has 4......

Another option: Is that funky Sony dock that seems to only be available in Japan any use? Finally, have you talked to Chord? I rather suspect they would be happy to help you out and at least give you some pointers. I can't imagine this problem can't be solved....

Jun 11, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #21,004 of 45,723
It is like 2 or 3 months away for the IFA berlin :D let's see what sony has to show us in the walkman range

Jun 11, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #21,005 of 45,723
I have made three sizable purchases from RazorDog so far and I have been extremely satisfied with each transaction. I've saved over a couple of thousands of dollars thanks to him.
Bought my 1Z from them ($2,399 at the time) and have purchased several headphones from them as well. Never a problem, and they always responded to my communications.

Bought a 1Z from Razor Dog Audio. Contacted Sony USA by phone and registered it, using the serial number
on the DAP.
No objections were raised; no questions asked.
Technical support was provided.

Jun 11, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #21,006 of 45,723
This is an interesting problem. The Walkman can do digital out via the Walkman port, so that it is used solely as a transport. Thinking a bit sideways, I wonder if the answer lies in the TA ZH1ES and more specifically, how the Walkmans connect to it. Anybody kicking around these forums have the Walkman and the 1ES and care to comment? Looking at the back of the 1ES, there is a USB-B input, but nothing appearing to offer direct support for micro USB as input. Micro USB has 5 pins, USB B has 4......

Another option: Is that funky Sony dock that seems to only be available in Japan any use? Finally, have you talked to Chord? I rather suspect they would be happy to help you out and at least give you some pointers. I can't imagine this problem can't be solved....
I have the ZH1ES. It includes a cable that connects directly from the Walkman port to the ZH1ES. This cable will also charge the Walkman.

You can get the Sony WMC-NWH10 cable and the USB cable of your choice to connect to the ZH1ES. The doiwnside to this is it doesn’t charge the player.

I decided to order the dock from Amazon as it will charge the player. It also has much better components that help improve the sound over the WMC-NWH10 or the included cable.

Jun 11, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #21,007 of 45,723
The Walkman has a sequences to initial the “handshakes” to the other device it is connected with. Using the Dock is easier to connect VS the Dongle or the stock cables that comes with 1ES amp. I don’t remember the exact sequences. But it involves Power on/off, plugged in the cables here and there. You need to play with it to find out how.

I remember he time when I had problem with it. I needed to turn off the External DAC first (power off). Then Plugged in the Walkman with dongle and Cables whit the screen off. Then Connected to the powered off external DAC, and then turned on Walkman screen, and then power on the external Device.

Just play around with it this way or similar, and you will get it working

Jun 11, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #21,008 of 45,723
As was mentioned a bit back in this thread...
Witigir recently posted a for sale notice advertising a 1Z which he had modded.
I bought it.

As it happens...
Witigir had written about others of his 1 Z mods, but he has not written about the mod I bought from him,
in which he used, not silver-gold wiring, but, rather, ultra pure silver wiring.

For several reasons...
I don't feel capable of describing how this 1Z mod sounds as compared and contrasted to stock.

Is there, perhaps, someone in the New York City area who is familiar with the 1Z who might be interested
in listening to this unique Whitigir-modded 1Z and, who would be willing, afterward, to write a brief account
of his impressions here?

Anyone???
PM me.

Harvey
Park Slope

Brooklyn, NY

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2018 at 7:57 AM Post #21,010 of 45,723
Witigir recently posted a for sale notice for a 1Z which he had modded.
I bought it.

As it happens...
Although Witigir had written about others of his 1 Z mods, he has not written about this mod, in which
he used, not silver-gold wiring, but, rather, ultra pure silver wiring.

For several reasons...
I don't feel capable of describing how this 1Z sounds as compared and contrasted to stock.

Is there, perhaps, someone in the New York City area who is familiar with the 1Z who might be interested
in listening to this unique Whitigir mod and sharing his impressions here?

Anyone???
PM me.

Harvey
Park Slope

Brooklyn, NY
And you also have the stock WM1Z?

Jun 12, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #21,011 of 45,723
Witigir recently posted a for sale notice advertising a 1Z which he had modded.
I bought it.

As it happens...
Witigir had written about others of his 1 Z mods, but he has not written about the mod I bought from him,
in which he used, not silver-gold wiring, but, rather, ultra pure silver wiring.

For several reasons...
I don't feel capable of describing how this 1Z mod sounds as compared and contrasted to stock.

in listening to this unique Whitigir-modded 1Z and, who would be willing, afterward, to write a brief account
of his impressions here?

Anyone???
PM me.

Harvey
Park Slope

Brooklyn, NY
Make sure they listen blind so that expectation bias isn't part of the comparison. It would be really interesting to know if there is an audible difference once the listener is blind to the device.

Jun 12, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #21,014 of 45,723
Good idea.

It could be accomplished if I handle and switch between the mod and stock 1Zs.

BTW:
My Z1R could be used for the listening session.
Love the Z1R, one of my favourite headphones that I have owned.

Jun 12, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #21,015 of 45,723
just burn in the stock WM1Z and then keep the one you like best

doesn't matter what other people may hear/think , you are the one whose opinion matters solely here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• OG10
Back