SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #20,882 of 45,723
Also don’t try and watch movies with your ZX300 DAC as the voice will not be synchronized. Great for music though.

We have discussed this before, any improvements would be a surprise. I would be fine using my players just the way they are. I couldn’t ask for more. Still the machine Sony has to keep moving forward, they have to keep reinventing the wheel. Maybe a new model may be dark black and look like an jet airplane. It will have an anodized coating of glass which is polarized to refract the light into dark rainbows of pearlescent color. When not playing it, you can simply view it, or have it be a conversation starter.
This is something I would seriously consider...or not!

Jun 4, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #20,884 of 45,723
Been traveling quite a bit and finally tonight got to spend a little more time messing with my new toy.

Sat in the dark to listen to some tracks on the HD650 on high gain. Was good enough for me a rough 90-100. I think I just got anxious I was maxing out the volume and not getting enough headroom.
I was hoping to be able to drive the cans at the same volume around 70... But that's not a reasonable expectation for a portable device, is it?
No idea why you're worrying though, you're not maxing it out. WM1 goes to 120

Jun 4, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #20,885 of 45,723
Guys sorry for changing subjet here, anyone knows if its true that leaving wm1A/Z plugged in at all times degrades battery life? thank you in advance
To my knowledge, you can't overcharge your battery, but the effect of creating a "trickle charge", by leaving it on a charger constantly and allowing it to continually re-charge to 100% (battery can drain a tiny bit even when not in use), can decrease the life of your battery. I could totally be wrong, as I base this on things I've read, not from any personal expert knowledge.

Jun 4, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #20,886 of 45,723
To my knowledge, you can't overcharge your battery, but the effect of creating a "trickle charge", by leaving it on a charger constantly and allowing it to continually re-charge to 100% (battery can drain a tiny bit even when not in use), can decrease the life of your battery. I could totally be wrong, as I base this on things I've read, not from any personal expert knowledge.
Ty for the reply i apreciate it, i dont see the batery discharging in anyway... i dont get it.... thats why im asking

Jun 4, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #20,887 of 45,723
well if you leave a battery pluhhed in is not going to discharge because the charging circuit will be "topping it off" to 100%

Jun 4, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #20,889 of 45,723
If you use the Battery Saver feature then it's never charged to 100% and should not decrease the battery life.

Also if you use the Sony dock it's always charging.

Jun 4, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #20,891 of 45,723
Has anyone here experienced issues when connecting via Bluetooth to a car stereo? I've been trying to connect to my car, but it always says: "connection failed." I know when I connect my cellphone to the car via Bluetooth I have to type in the generic password, but I'm not able to do this step with the WM1A. I ended up connecting via the AUX cable, the results were adequate.

This device is kind of a head-scratcher for me. Coming from a modest Fiio X3-II, I noticed I lost a lot of things: Line out, .cue files support, DAC mode, "original" protective case and a more robust..."decoding" I would call it. I have some files that have some ripping issues, on my Fiio X3-II it would stutter a bit and then the whole song would continue, the WM1A just skips the entire song when it finds the same issue. On one hand the WM1A is a revered flagship, sporting "creme de la creme" in components, build and a plethora of one of a kind design features. But on the other hand, when I compare it with my modest Fiio X3-II; cost wise, I'm not seeing 10 times more value. Sure, I have 128 GB of storage, 4.4 mm balanced out; which is something I've wanted for a while, Bluetooth and "more" battery life (by the way, using all the enhancements the WM1A has given me roughly the same battery life as the X3-II).

I can't say I'm experiencing buyers remorse, I'm loving the sound I'm getting from the WM1A (I'll have to compare it with my old X3-II when the "burn in" is complete) it's just that...I don't know, it just feels so bare bones. It's missing some things I took for granted on my previous device. I guess these sort of things are niche thing. Don't be mistaken, the WM1A is going to be my daily driver until it can't physically work anymore. Some of the things I've mentioned may sound like nitpicking; still, I had the idea what the WM1A would cover all of the things I was used to and add the things I wanted, more connectivity. I guess time will tell.

Jun 5, 2018 at 12:20 AM Post #20,892 of 45,723
Has anyone here experienced issues when connecting via Bluetooth to a car stereo? I've been trying to connect to my car, but it always says: "connection failed." I know when I connect my cellphone to the car via Bluetooth I have to type in the generic password, but I'm not able to do this step with the WM1A. I ended up connecting via the AUX cable, the results were adequate.

This device is kind of a head-scratcher for me. Coming from a modest Fiio X3-II, I noticed I lost a lot of things: Line out, .cue files support, DAC mode, "original" protective case and a more robust..."decoding" I would call it. I have some files that have some ripping issues, on my Fiio X3-II it would stutter a bit and then the whole song would continue, the WM1A just skips the entire song when it finds the same issue. On one hand the WM1A is a revered flagship, sporting "creme de la creme" in components, build and a plethora of one of a kind design features. But on the other hand, when I compare it with my modest Fiio X3-II; cost wise, I'm not seeing 10 times more value. Sure, I have 128 GB of storage, 4.4 mm balanced out; which is something I've wanted for a while, Bluetooth and "more" battery life (by the way, using all the enhancements the WM1A has given me roughly the same battery life as the X3-II).

I can't say I'm experiencing buyers remorse, I'm loving the sound I'm getting from the WM1A (I'll have to compare it with my old X3-II when the "burn in" is complete) it's just that...I don't know, it just feels so bare bones. It's missing some things I took for granted on my previous device. I guess these sort of things are niche thing. Don't be mistaken, the WM1A is going to be my daily driver until it can't physically work anymore. Some of the things I've mentioned may sound like nitpicking; still, I had the idea what the WM1A would cover all of the things I was used to and add the things I wanted, more connectivity. I guess time will tell.

The WM1 Walkmans are more audio purist devices than audio gadgets, they worked to take out the lesser use features so they can focus on making the core features better.

Jun 5, 2018 at 12:50 AM Post #20,893 of 45,723
Guys sorry for changing subjet here, anyone knows if its true that leaving wm1A/Z plugged in at all times degrades battery life? thank you in advance
I've heard similar about laptops and phones. Personally, I think the convenience of it overcomes the downside. I've found a service here that will handle modding of the WM1A and changing out a battery should be no problem for them too.
However, I don't leave the WM1A plugged in unless I'm burning it in, but I can imagine if you use it as your primary desktop device you'd want to keep it plugged in.

I wonder about trickle charging though... low amperage. Can anyone comment on this? Will a low charge at 500mA while it is being used, i.e. load on the battery, degrade battery life? My understanding is that it's the fast chargers at 2.1-2.4A that will degrade the battery more significantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back