SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #18,226 of 45,723
Can someone explain the purpose of the two symbols I circled in red? I see the left one shows the current play/pause function, but to what purpose? And the one on the right, I have no idea what that is? Thanks!

The right one is NFC on and the left one indicated state of play or pause on any screen (to know if media state is on play or pause)

Jan 28, 2018 at 1:17 AM Post #18,229 of 45,723
Has anyone approached 500hrs burn in, mine is nearly 500hrs burned in about 454hrs. I can tell you when I changed back to firmware 2.0, it sounds better on direct source it has enough Bass when you turn up the volume on high gain. When I turn on EQ it does sound fuller, on some songs no need for EQ.

So please share your impressions if you reached 500hrs burn in, what sonic difference in SQ you noticed. Thanks.

I am only at 310 hours unbalanced, but I also use source direct almost always on fw 2.0. The amplification on wm1a is really good balanced/not, but the mixing of the track most often yields the SQ differences you notice. I think its tricky, some music is shockingly dynamic and detailed and it really makes me pause, but generally, I feel as if I am still burning in at 300+ hrs.

Can someone explain the purpose of the two symbols I circled in red? I see the left one shows the current play/pause function, but to what purpose? And the one on the right, I have no idea what that is? Thanks!

So the Bluetooth with NFC function is really nice. For example, if you have MMCX IEM you could use a Sony MUC-M2BT1 and it pairs just by physically touching/nearing the NFC symbols on the back of the WM1 with the M2BT1. Also, this headset does LDAC so technically you would get HR Audio wirelessly.

Im going to get one when I get my Just Ear delivery, for biking or lifting.

Jan 28, 2018 at 3:14 AM Post #18,230 of 45,723
Hello everyone,

I just got WM1A. I have my old ATH-AD900. I am quite happy with the sound with WM1A SE output on high-gain. I am wondering if it is worth the cost/effort to convert it to balanced cable. I am thinking of getting it rework as detachable therefore i have option to have balanced and standard.

For balanced output, I am using ATH-E70 with custom balanced cable that i got it done locally with decent price and quality.

Alternatively, I could look into other open headphone with already balanced cable or detachable. any recommendation for non Sennheiser brand? I was looking at Grado GS1000e but it is also not balanced. I'd say budget is about USD 500-700.

Thank you

Jan 28, 2018 at 3:49 AM Post #18,231 of 45,723
20180128_174148_001.jpg
20180128_174220_001.jpg
20180128_174515_001.jpg

Jan 28, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #18,232 of 45,723
I can't answer whether the WM1Z sounds 2k better than the WM1A from experience, but I'd willing to bet 2k that it doesn't.

To me the 1Z does sound better, however im not sure how anyone could quantify the diff in money terms. I owned both players for a while and sold the 1A. Im also not sure where anyone is getting the 2k diff from on pricing?

Jan 28, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #18,234 of 45,723
What is sound 2k better? There are guys in home hi end audio that spents 10k or 20k to have 5 or 10% better sound quality, you can't put the things that way, the 1Z has a better SQ than the 1A period....

It's all in your head.
When 1 of 3 cited points of difference is kimber cable between socked and board of plugs, well, that's about as useful as when Sony advertised the Z7 as going up to 100,000Khz

(e.g.)Sony MDR Z7
Frequency Response (Hz)
4-100,000Hz
If a bottle nosed dolphin is the target then cool but we hear to 19Khz with science to back it up so that leaves an extra 81,000 Hz...that over 4x what is needed but hey..advertising.

So 1 copper chassis, more storage, and...the kimber cable are among stated differences. I am a Sony fanboy but I am not a ...whatever it's called when no driver or music is cited to make definitive assessments in an almost totally subjective hobby.

My cars both have systems over 15k and my home system is well towards doubling that. Spending money is fun. I get that part. I agree.

Jan 28, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #18,235 of 45,723
Hello, just wondering if anyone knows where I can find a BCR-NWH10 cradle for my WM1A in Europe? I have started a WTB post to see if anyone is selling one. I can also see that there are sellers on eBay from Japan who sell them but it will cost me an extra 30% due to customs charges and handling fees. Thanks a lot!

Jan 28, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #18,236 of 45,723
It's all in your head.
When 1 of 3 cited points of difference is kimber cable between socked and board of plugs, well, that's about as useful as when Sony advertised the Z7 as going up to 100,000Khz

(e.g.)Sony MDR Z7
Frequency Response (Hz)
4-100,000Hz
If a bottle nosed dolphin is the target then cool but we hear to 19Khz with science to back it up so that leaves an extra 81,000 Hz...that over 4x what is needed but hey..advertising.

So 1 copper chassis, more storage, and...the kimber cable are among stated differences. I am a Sony fanboy but I am not a ...whatever it's called when no driver or music is cited to make definitive assessments in an almost totally subjective hobby.

My cars both have systems over 15k and my home system is well towards doubling that. Spending money is fun. I get that part. I agree.

I think it's a known fact that in audio (and other parts of the consumer world), the cost increases exponentially against improvement, especially towards the upper end?

I think I tend to agree the the 1A has higher C/P ratio than the 1Z, but I don't get all the bashing from the 1A users in this thread against the 1Z. For me the 1Z does sound different from the 1A, I believe (in my view at least) this is a fact. Whether you agree with this is another issue but is it necessary for all the bashings? People who think the improvement (or shall I say difference?) is worth the penny is entirely up to them, which we should respect and simply move on?

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #18,237 of 45,723
It's all in your head.

(e.g.)Sony MDR Z7
Frequency Response (Hz)
4-100,000Hz

My wife would have my privates in a jar if I spent that much money. :) She was pissed that I bought a Bottlehead Crack with the 1.1 Speedball for my Sennheiser HD 650 headphones. Well, we do have quadruplets and they're expensive.

Jan 28, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #18,239 of 45,723
Hello, just wondering if anyone knows where I can find a BCR-NWH10 cradle for my WM1A in Europe? I have started a WTB post to see if anyone is selling one. I can also see that there are sellers on eBay from Japan who sell them but it will cost me an extra 30% due to customs charges and handling fees. Thanks a lot!
It's a Japan only thing, expect to pay more if it's not official in your own country.

Jan 28, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #18,240 of 45,723
I think it's a known fact that in audio (and other parts of the consumer world), the cost increases exponentially against improvement, especially towards the upper end?

I think I tend to agree the the 1A has higher C/P ratio than the 1Z, but I don't get all the bashing from the 1A users in this thread against the 1Z. For me the 1Z does sound different from the 1A, I believe (in my view at least) this is a fact. Whether you agree with this is another issue but is it necessary for all the bashings? People who think the improvement (or shall I say difference?) is worth the penny is entirely up to them, which we should respect and simply move on?

I am saving for a NW-WM1Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back