SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 28, 2017 at 2:17 AM Post #16,936 of 45,723
In my opinion, if you go for digital out of the dock and PM7005, upgrade the speakers to high grade such at R100 or other r series even better with floor standers r series, or consider Tannoy Revolution series

gbp600

https://www.whathifi.com/tannoy/revolution-xt-6/review

even this version, if using pm8005 for truly high end experience

gbp1000

https://www.whathifi.com/tannoy/revolution-xt6f/review

or

gbp500

https://www.whathifi.com/q-acoustics/3050/review

Thanks for the tips, slowly but surely. The amp is the first thing I'll likely get, though the PM8005 weirdly enough does not have a USB dac input, its just that PM7005.

Nov 28, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #16,937 of 45,723
A quick question. Which Sony cable and where can I get it from to enable playing songs to stereo receiver using usb. Im thinking of using 1Z with speakers.

Any good colorless amp recommendation so 1Z can shine? Just bought KEF Q100 for black Friday. Not too expensive, maybe around 1k. Any thought about Massdrop sprout audio 2 amp or Outlaw audio rr2160 stereo amp? im trying to max the sound quality of Kef100

The DAC in the 1Z is likely better than the ones in any of these receivers. If you're only going to use it for 2 channel listening you might be better off looking at fully analog amp and connecting the headphone output from the 1Z.

Nov 28, 2017 at 2:36 AM Post #16,938 of 45,723
Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 2:59 AM Post #16,939 of 45,723
Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #16,940 of 45,723
Meaning using balanced output to 2 RCA, something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Balanced-Hea...?ie=UTF8&qid=1511854550&sr=8-36&keywords=wm1z

Any example of good analog amp?

It's not a good idea to convert the balanced output to RCA, since some amps will share a ground between both channels on the RCA inputs, which would be bad for the 1Z. Either use the single ended output or find an amp with balanced inputs.

I haven't been in the market for an amp lately, but I'm sure others here will have suggestions.

Nov 28, 2017 at 4:48 AM Post #16,941 of 45,723
Friends, I have two questions before finally pulling the trigger on the NW-WM1A...

1. From what I understand NW-WM1A doesn't have a DAC chip of brands sych as Sabre, Cirrus, AKM etc. Is this a disadvantage or does it mean inferior sound quality compared to DAPs that have those DACs? Could you please explain how the Sony works in means of DAC?

2. I currently own an Earsonics SM3 IEM which has a 2.5 mm jack. I need to get a 4.4 or 3.5 converter along with NW-WM1A, right? Any recommendations regarding this jack? I would prefer one without a cable...

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Nov 28, 2017 at 5:15 AM Post #16,942 of 45,723
Friends, I have two questions before finally pulling the trigger on the NW-WM1A...

1. From what I understand NW-WM1A doesn't have a DAC chip of brands sych as Sabre, Cirrus, AKM etc. Is this a disadvantage or does it mean inferior sound quality compared to DAPs that have those DACs? Could you please explain how the Sony works in means of DAC?

2. I currently own an Earsonics SM3 IEM which has a 2.5 mm jack. I need to get a 4.4 or 3.5 converter along with NW-WM1A, right? Any recommendations regarding this jack? I would prefer one without a cable...

1) Not sure as well about its DAC, but I certainly think it doesn't sound inferior to many high-quality DAPs out there. I currently have the WM1A, AK70 MKII (dual Cirrus), and Opus#2 (dual Sabre). In comparison, the 1A sounds somewhat similar in character with AK70MKII warmish-neutral sound, but it has a further-reaching extension in both bass, and treble frequency. Its soundstage is larger, and each note is recreated with slightly more detail. Compared to the Opus#2, the WM1A sounds warmer, and bassier. The WM1A's midrange is more voluminous, and organic in tone. While the Opus#2 is slightly brighter in the treble, and more detailed. It has a wider soundstage, and leaner notes. So whether if the 1A is inferior I guess it depends on your taste. But for only its sound quality, the 1A competes very well in this high-end portable DAP region. Not to mention it's excellent battery life. :)

P_20171125_122050.jpg

2) I think Effect Audio sells them (https://www.effectaudio.com/others/accessories.html). Although it's more expensive than buying a non-branded ones, or moreover building a DIY. I got mine created by a DIY hobbyist nearby, 2,5-mm to 4,4 for around $30-40. It uses Eidolic male, and female plug.

443808_d56b60c9-a1be-42fd-b388-6d398a33a586_923_836.jpg
52920503_cdd7bc35-6c2b-45b1-bb69-dc5855e14657.jpg

Nov 28, 2017 at 5:23 AM Post #16,943 of 45,723

1. Sony using their own chip, which surpasses many of common available chips not only in sound quality, but using much less energy - WM1A battery stay almost twice longer than competitors.
2.Now there is lot of converters according your budget. Just google it :) My recommendation - for mobile use it is better converter with cable. Less tension force.

Nov 28, 2017 at 5:48 AM Post #16,944 of 45,723

Sony uses the "Pulse Width Modulation" philosophy with their DAPs. You can search on the web about this method which has been in use for several other industries. In a nutshell, it's a way of integrating the DAC and the AMP sections together, unlike the classic DAPs we see on the market.

You can see a small article from Sony here: http://www.sony.co.in/article/210012/section/product/product/dav-dz150k

With this technology Sony DAPs don't generate heat like other players do, and they have excellent power efficiency, resulting a great battery life which the competitors cannot achieve.

"The main advantage of PWM is that power loss in the switching devices is very low. When a switch is off there is practically no current, and when it is on and power is being transferred to the load, there is almost no voltage drop across the switch. Power loss, being the product of voltage and current, is thus in both cases close to zero."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse-width_modulation

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 6:22 AM Post #16,945 of 45,723
Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 8:03 AM Post #16,946 of 45,723
Thank you very much firends. Thanks to your reassurance, I placed my order. Now waiting in excitement. I'll share with you my impressions.

1) Not sure as well about its DAC, but I certainly think it doesn't sound inferior to many high-quality DAPs out there. I currently have the WM1A, AK70 MKII (dual Cirrus), and Opus#2 (dual Sabre). In comparison, the 1A sounds somewhat similar in character with AK70MKII warmish-neutral sound, but it has a further-reaching extension in both bass, and treble frequency. Its soundstage is larger, and each note is recreated with slightly more detail. Compared to the Opus#2, the WM1A sounds warmer, and bassier. The WM1A's midrange is more voluminous, and organic in tone. While the Opus#2 is slightly brighter in the treble, and more detailed. It has a wider soundstage, and leaner notes. So whether if the 1A is inferior I guess it depends on your taste. But for only its sound quality, the 1A competes very well in this high-end portable DAP region. Not to mention it's excellent battery life. :)

What you've described is just my taste in sound. Full, detailed, warm.

1. Sony using their own chip, which surpasses many of common available chips not only in sound quality, but using much less energy - WM1A battery stay almost twice longer than competitors.

Sony uses the "Pulse Width Modulation" philosophy with their DAPs. You can search on the web about this method which has been in use for several other industries. In a nutshell, it's a way of integrating the DAC and the AMP sections together, unlike the classic DAPs we see on the market.

You've all given me invaluable information. Thanks again.

From what I understand the balanced out is the one I should aim for. So I should get 2.5 to 4.4 converter. Is there anything I should look for in the converter to get the best results?

Nov 28, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #16,947 of 45,723
Media go sorts by artists when transferring to the Walkman or micro sd card.

I have a problem , it seems I can't find an album to delete despite I see the artist but I can't find the folder in the micro sd card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back