SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 21, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #16,816 of 45,723
It’s very hard to sell when a new flagship Dap is out. People want the latest. But with Sony they start from scratch. I’d like to see an upgrade from the Sony ZX2 to ZX3 as it’s good to have an Android to download apps. The fact is the SQ is not guaranteed from when you first buy it as firmware updates change SQ.

1Z is already at the top end in hardware, Sony should continue delight us with FW that is capable to provide variety of sound signatures for selection with including previous original legendary sound signatures but also add-on with new sound signature .... such that it has wider capability to pair well with various head phone, ear phones ....

Nov 21, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #16,817 of 45,723
1Z is already at the top end in hardware, Sony should continue delight us with FW that is capable to provide variety of sound signatures for selection with including previous original legendary sound signatures but also add-on with new sound signature .... such that it has wider capability to pair well with various head phone, ear phones ....

Pretty much at this moment. But don’t forget that the new designed S-Master has a huge lot more potential. Sony wouldn’t be crazy enough to just do an almost perfect S-Master for portable player in one shot :D

When the next S-Master got released, the new components would be more likely to have been produced. Sony is always ahead of competitions in utilizing the newest and audio dedicated components for their portable players.

Then on top of that, there are more power to be had :D

There is never enough room for improvements and upgrades

I still remember the time when (zX2) Sony claimed that S-Master is not capable of doing Balanced connections....LoL! What now ?

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #16,818 of 45,723
Not everything is burned in yet, but the 2.0 upgrade only seemed to have an effect on the prolonged listenable comforts of EDM with my Encore IEMs, causing slight fatigue? Classic Rock and Metal still sound amazing, if not better? Still the overall sound is so good, i’ll simply switch to other IEMs for dance music.

You can only wonder how the next Sony Flagship will sound like, they seem to be on a roll. Sony Singapore gave me a free pair of aging-flagship XBA-Z5s with my 1Zs for the $2699 Amazon price, so those work perfect for EDM.

Attachments

• 96FBCA36-6A58-4073-9BC0-3F49F73D1F65.jpeg
    96FBCA36-6A58-4073-9BC0-3F49F73D1F65.jpeg
    30.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 21, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #16,820 of 45,723
can someone recommend me the best IEM or headphone for 1Z without amp? I haven't found any so far...
I think anybody should try the Sony XBA-Z5s in Pentaconn 4.4mm mode.

Nov 21, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #16,823 of 45,723
can someone recommend me the best IEM or headphone for 1Z without amp? I haven't found any so far...
K10 CIEM or Sony z1r.. both sound excellent and on low gain I hit 50 for k10 and 80 for z1r till it is unbearable loud so lots of headroom

Nov 21, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #16,824 of 45,723
Pretty much at this moment. But don’t forget that the new designed S-Master has a huge lot more potential. Sony wouldn’t be crazy enough to just do an almost perfect S-Master for portable player in one shot :D

When the next S-Master got released, the new components would be more likely to have been produced. Sony is always ahead of competitions in utilizing the newest and audio dedicated components for their portable players.

Then on top of that, there are more power to be had :D

There is never enough room for improvements and upgrades

I still remember the time when (zX2) Sony claimed that S-Master is not capable of doing Balanced connections....LoL! What now ?

My opinion — if hardware can be further enhanced, great .... but more importantly , If FW Is rigid to one one sound signature , and hope many types of head phone can pair well and delighted by many individual taste ... NOT POSSIBLE. If Sony want to sell well and capture bigger market ...their player better to have a few popular quality sound signatures options . Today is digital world.... if they remain not using such digital capability to provide a convenient flexible enhanced sound system , instead still make it as rigid analog-like fixed system , just like film camera photography system ...very soon will go to history.

Nov 21, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #16,826 of 45,723
So far I have not had any luck finding IEM or headphone which brings good synergy with 1Z.
I tried A18, Z1R, JH Pro13 and other pieces...I am not having much luck especially on bass compartment.
It was shocking to note MDR Z1R sounded much more fluid on old sony dap x-1061. Z1 seems to have so much
potential but how do actually claim it?

My U18 has good synergy with both the 1A and the 1Z. Bass is detailed and clean while still impactful. Class.

Nov 21, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #16,827 of 45,723
Is there a difference between Sony XBAZ5 and XBA-Z5s you spoke of? or are you referring to same ear piece?

Sorry just a bad habit of putting stuff plural. They are the DBA-Z5 IEMs though I changed out the single-ended cable for the Mee 4.4mm cable system.

They are known to be and could very well be too much bass for some. Though they also have a nice coherent sound and instrument placement balance none the less.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2017 at 2:47 AM Post #16,828 of 45,723
Nov 22, 2017 at 2:50 AM Post #16,829 of 45,723

I can recommend the Oriolus V2, espeially in balanced, it's got wonderful synergy with WM1Z. Bass resonse and quality is amazing, very textured. Mids and treble are up there too; it will give you a lovely smooth ride for hours on end with no fatigue whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back