SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 10, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #14,341 of 45,723
Furutech is now announcing the official release of the 4.4 TRRRS. Apparently some sample stock was sent out in Japan and that is what people have bought. I look forward to it being stocked in the US.

Sep 10, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #14,342 of 45,723
By default MediaGo occupies 10% of device memory for internal uses. You can reduce that by going into Device settings. You can also change whether on the fly conversion happens for the audio file formats to be saved into the device or not.
Yes i know that option and removed it as it is like 23.8GB so i have 0% space reserved.. all for music, I bet then those "other files" are some sort of database of images like ipods did?

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #14,343 of 45,723
I like how the xba-z5 sound with wm1a balanced, detailed, in the entire spectrum and not piercing highs.

Don't know why many people prefer the EX1000

Can't agree more. As good as the EX1000 may be, it is an acquired taste really. Z5 is miles ahead on most fronts if not all.

Sep 11, 2017 at 6:54 AM Post #14,345 of 45,723
Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #14,346 of 45,723
back to 1.10 and found my perfect sound. The treble is less bright and piercing, the change is not night and day but noticeable on my iem

Sep 11, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #14,347 of 45,723
http://ohm-image.net/data/audio/rmaa-sony-nw-wm1z-24-bit

Nathan's RMAA data and brief review on the WM1Z is out. Expecting his full-length review.

Beautiful photography as always.

As soon as someone starts throwing up graphs and charts I completely ignore what they have to say, because at the end of the day you could have a chart saying "its going to sound awesome because its hitting this level", but then when my ears hear it, it could be complete crap.

Sep 11, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #14,349 of 45,723
As soon as someone starts throwing up graphs and charts I completely ignore what they have to say, because at the end of the day you could have a chart saying "its going to sound awesome because its hitting this level", but then when my ears hear it, it could be complete crap.
couldn't agree more with you about this issue of graphics vs ears

Sep 11, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #14,350 of 45,723
Data is relevant, but it is only to be used in conjunction with your ears which give your brain the most useful data. Simply ignoring people because they are measuring things seems odd. Personally I like to see the data, but I would never let it determine what I bought or didn't buy, I always read many reviews and impressions from those who listened and if it sounds like it might be a sound signature for me I try it, but I would not have a problem with seeing data as well. More information plus the data can be cool.

Sep 11, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #14,351 of 45,723
Just to educate me, which of these graphs show me that the player hisses and where can I see that it is not high res? And how are the measurements taken, with microphones inside a dummy head or how? If you publish such things you should explain in the publishing how you measure. As it is presented it tells me "In heaven is funfair" or "Im Himmel ist Jahrmarkt" in German". In other words "What"

Sep 11, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #14,352 of 45,723

Nathan's RMAA data and brief review on the WM1Z is out. Expecting his full-length review.

A pretty picture, but that is about all. A confusing and somewhat incoherent article. I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think Nathan digs the 1Z - at all. And what's with the getting warm stuff - and back to the hissing? Why is it that nobody mentioned the hissing for what, 11 months - and then one person perceives it and all of a sudden we appear to have an angry snake in our pockets that apparently all critics can hear. I've not perceived it - but then again, I've only listened to my unit for a mere 500 hours. Under what conditions was the hissing "observed"? In terms of output quality, how much play time did this unit have? I don't mind criticism - 'tis to be encouraged as after all, it is one of the ways this sort of technology advances. I do however like to read objective articles. I've ponied up my very hard earned, and thoroughly enjoy my hiss free golden child - but articles like this really are rather pointless and appear to be more about the individual's ego and a bit of Sony slamming rather than anything useful. I'm sorry to have wasted a portion of my life reading it really. Nice picture though.

Sep 11, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #14,353 of 45,723
A pretty picture, but that is about all. A confusing and somewhat incoherent article. I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think Nathan digs the 1Z - at all. And what's with the getting warm stuff - and back to the hissing? Why is it that nobody mentioned the hissing for what, 11 months - and then one person perceives it and all of a sudden we appear to have an angry snake in our pockets that apparently all critics can hear. I've not perceived it - but then again, I've only listened to my unit for a mere 500 hours. Under what conditions was the hissing "observed"? In terms of output quality, how much play time did this unit have? I don't mind criticism - 'tis to be encouraged as after all, it is one of the ways this sort of technology advances. I do however like to read objective articles. I've ponied up my very hard earned, and thoroughly enjoy my hiss free golden child - but articles like this really are rather pointless and appear to be more about the individual's ego and a bit of Sony slamming rather than anything useful. I'm sorry to have wasted a portion of my life reading it really. Nice picture though.

LOL "an angry snake in our pants".....................thats what she said.

Sep 11, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #14,354 of 45,723
Only hiss I heard is from the recording, and this if you crank the volume to insane levels

Edit

Is not exactly a recording hiss, but more like the musician's breathing or moving his shoes in wooden floor

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #14,355 of 45,723

Lot of graphs, and few words as a conclusion.
I admit I don’t have the knowledge to interpreter these graphs and compare them to any other DAP, what I know I love my WM1Z, much better than the ak380 and ak240 that I owned before buying the WM1.

I feel the page a little dry and may be Nathan will dig further in order to explain his conclusions, we’ll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back