SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 8, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #14,251 of 45,723
I like how the xba-z5 sound with wm1a balanced, detailed, in the entire spectrum and not piercing highs.

Don't know why many people prefer the EX1000

Sep 8, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #14,253 of 45,723
I was always listening for around 150h on direct mode to save battery life. Now I took it out and holy moly this sound is even better with right settings. Only downside battery life is draining faster...

Sep 8, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #14,255 of 45,723
Yay, thank you @kms108 , I got my stickers and here is a shot. Upgraded Wm1Z and Upgraded docking system with silver-gold wires :D

So, I got myself a DX200, and after the weekends and a few days honey moon with it. I am starting to analyzing both players.

Ofcourse both is being used out of Utopia and balanced connection as my DX200 has Amp3 module. To my surprise, Dx200 can be playing ball and standing toes to toes to the big Wm1Z. But there is a catch. Only if you listen to WM1Z in "Direct Mode".

Now, let me take a moment and process. Sony claims that as direct sources, you are getting straight performances from your files into hardware and right out to the headphones with the minimalist interferences of processing. However, this is a big "however", S-Master design does not have "Coupling Capacitors" like your traditional "Amplifiers", and that means even Dx200 has it, and other players as well. This "coupling capacitor" is the main culprits for your bass drop and low to mid spectrum separations. During the "development" of WM1Z, the engineers realized this, and so they went out and about to develop a way to mimicking the phase changes of which was the result of this coupling capacitor. However, there are different implementations and so it slightly result in different signatures. Sony realized that the new S-Master HX can totally process this with a tweak of their original Walkman OS. Lo and behold, DC-Phase Linearization were born, for different type of signatures by using S-Master HX Processing power. This was confirmed that is being done by the Software and the S-Master HX Prowess, and again, there is no Coupling Capacitors in the WM1Z or 1A. To be continued in the next part in a moment
IMG_1845.JPGIMG_1846.JPG
Now, part 2:

Dx200 and amp1, the signature were with great separations and layering, but the soundstage was narrower and vocal with mid spectrum are more forward and intimidating, just similar to Wm1z in direct source, but with less deep sub bass, less bass rumbles, but punchy and tighter mid bass. I would use the term "fast and explosive mid bass here" because it has more bites to just compare to the bass on the Wm1Z which is with authorities and smoothly flowing. Dx200 and amp1 has brighter lower treble and extensions which lead to more prone to harshness and sibilant, and together with speed, biting mid bass, the amp1 seems to only have layering and separations in it advantage, but in my opinion it lacks behind in sub bass and bass extensions overall. Timbres are brighter and more of a solid state signatures.

Dx200 and amp3, it has more width, depth, vertical rendering, and deeper sub bass and bass extensions with better and more smooth bass overall, still snappier than 1Z. Timbres overall is more organic and less aggressive, still energetic, but less brightness and aggressive lower treble and treble extensions overall. It made Dx200 to have a new signature of an expansive, spacious, superb layering, separations and details. Totally is in high-end tier and toes to toes with Wm1z. It surprises me that the layering, separations and expansiveness of staging is better than Wm1z in "direct source mode".

**simply put** the dx200 with amp3 has better separation and layering out of the box than Wm1z out of the box . Dx200 with amp1 which comes with it, and out of the box it has a more flat and boring expression of the music in comparison to Wm1z out of the box

Please, read part 1 quoted above to see why.

Now, the only fair-ground for WM1Z to compete is to turn on the sound-setting (DC phase linearizer, DSEEHX). Ofcourse there are slight differences in different options, and beware that your battery will drain faster, but not as horrible as dx200. We are talking about 12 hours in comparison to 8 hours.

***curiosity*** I know many people would have this question. Hey, it is not fair to use Dx200 without Digital signal processing in comparison to WM1Z with Digital signal processing ? Well, my answer is that, how could you know if Ibasso does not code in any DSP in their Mango App ? Different playback apps on Dx200 results in different signature. Obviously enough that you will opt for one upon personal preferences. In Mango player app, without ticking EQ-On and not using any EQ sliders, there is an emphasis into Sub-bass performances. So.....

Now, I will answer your question with another question. What if Sony also hid this away and incorporated a built in DSP and leave the users no further options to optimize the resulted performances upon personal preferences ? You just can not tell ? Yeah, however, Sony did "fully disclose" that.

Progressing into sound performances competitions.

IMG_1847.JPGIMG_1848.JPG

Play modes:

Dx200: Lurker modded firmware for the newest Neutron playback app (the best performances from my observations)
Wm1z: DSEEHX - female vocal
D.C.-Phase Linearizer: Type B Standard
Dynamic normalizer: never tick this box....I never liked it....it always gimped down the extensions of many spectrums, mainly the treble.

Now, we are in a much equal ground.

Wm1Z signature: fluidly with a touch of warmth, powerful sub-bass and mid bass but is very well controlled. Edges resolutions of every notes are so smooth and suprerbly defined (more defined than dx200), sure resulted in a superb layering and separations. Great width, depth, vertical stages rendering. Tonal body is super vivid and realistic, and even with those synthesized plays from EDM and Modern Pops, very satisfying. Vocal is full of emotions and very well defined. Upper mid to lower trebles is more forward and still warmth, so it is more intimidating with thick treble plays and it would be personal preferences here.

Dx200+amp3: Neutral, Energetic and spacious, deep sub-bass and not as deep as Wm1Z and less powerful but is better controlled and faster in a sense. Edges resolutions of each notes is sharper and vividly defined, sure is superb layering and separations but has more spaciousness and air than WM1Z (slightly) enough to carries different sound signature. More resolving ? Sure, I will give it that, but less realistic and less emotions. Synthesized plays from EDM and modern pops are out-right Synthetic, very satisfying in a different sense (your preferences here). Vocal is very transparent, a tad further out (slight bit) and less warmth, with less extensions but faster speed (your preferences here). In my opinion, Vocal is less expressive on Dx200+amp3, but is more transparency for better resolvability and clarity (your preferences here). Upper mid to lower trebles are faster, sharper with a tad bit further out together with Vocal, a tad bit more transparent and brighter but no harshness or sibilant, very energetic and results in a finer resolutions (your preferences here). Together as a whole package, the Dx200+amp3 has different sound signature, but none the less, just as good as Wm1z ? Damn....

It comes down to a much more simple term: Mellow and involving or Energetic and resolving ? Both players are worthy of the title "top tier". However, I will give the dynamic prowess toward Wm1Z. The deep sub bass and powerful authorities is untouchable on the 1Z however.

Furthermore, UI, battery life ? If needed, I will have part 3 about this. But simplistic UI and battery life is a victorious for 1Z. Practicality for USB-DAC feature is a win for DX200 together with amp module options.
IMG_1849.JPGIMG_1850.JPG

Conclusion: it blows my mind to have the Dx200 to stand toes to toes to WM1Z with the new AMP3 module and at the given pricing ? Thought with the upper hand in Bass and dynamic, the 1z is a winner, not by much but only a little. Remember, without sound setting on, the 1Z is behind in separations and layering to dx200+amp3. Both players are fun to have and even better with different sound signatures. However, the 1Z is much more expensive, and so for the prices, Dx200+amp3 is a winner in a sense that if you can not afford 1Z, you won't regret buying dx200+amp3. However, if you can afford 1Z, the 1Z is preferable to be a winner in my opinion, and I wouldn't be surprised if someone else personally prefer the Dx200+amp3 as I already listed the reasons above.

Pros:

Wm1z: Simple Walkman OS, DC-phase linearizer, Battery life (12-22 hours on high res FLAC or DSD, depends), superb Digital out transport feature with Docking Cradle system simply plug and play, luxurious, realism timbres, involving feeling and expressiveness of the tracks, especially vocal.

Dx200: Android 6.0 with open customization to install any version of firmware, custom firmware....etc...cheaper pricing, amp module improvements possibilities (amp3 vs amp1 for example), who knows what Ibasso will come up next ? Luxurious, clarity and transparency, resolving , energetic, USB-DAC feature. Streaming, wifi capable, internet connection.

Cons:

Wm1z: no internet or streaming ability, closed OS as no further modification can be done except removing volume cap, heavy, no USB-DAC at the moment, no further sound signatures except DC-Phase linearizer

Dx200+amp3: no Digital out properly yet by USB connections, buggy interface here and there but nothing major, low battery life (still is the most impressive on the market for what it can offer), bulky and thick (I don't care, who care ? It can drive my full size Headphones, it can get bigger and thicker)

IMG_1854.JPGIMG_1855.JPG

I may be missing something, will update in the future :). Thanks for sharing my experiences

*dont forget* my Wm1Z is a modded unit. Which is confirmed to further enhance the performances and the result of D.C. Phase linearizer feature. Very important line.

Attachments

• IMG_1851.JPG
    IMG_1851.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1853.JPG
    IMG_1853.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 8, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #14,256 of 45,723
Holy moly, you're on fire Whitigir

Sep 8, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #14,257 of 45,723
Love it Whitigir, although you are telling me that a dap that costs half as much as the one I just bought is just as capable in many ways:)

I really like the idea of amp modules but was disappointed in the X7. This player seems better but I hope they do something more ambitious with the modules, like a combined amp and battery module or a tube amp.

I think they are restricting themselves because of size but I personally just need it to be transportable, I use these kinds of daps inside my home anyway, outside it is phone or smaller daps.

Sep 8, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #14,258 of 45,723
Love it Whitigir, although you are telling me that a dap that costs half as much as the one I just bought is just as capable in many ways:)

I really like the idea of amp modules but was disappointed in the X7. This player seems better but I hope they do something more ambitious with the modules, like a combined amp and battery module or a tube amp.

I think they are restricting themselves because of size but I personally just need it to be transportable, I use these kinds of daps inside my home anyway, outside it is phone or smaller daps.
Much less than half the cost of the the WM1Z. It is much lighter and it is thinner compared to the 1Z. They are coming out with the 4.4 amp and that I am looking forward to as I like 4.4 and Furutech is coming out with a nice plug in that size. I enjoy both daps but wish the 1Z had cost me less but what a beauty.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #14,259 of 45,723
Interesting reading Vince

So are you telling me that iBasso has an amp module coming out with a 4.4 connector? That would be a very interesting development as my Axios cables for both Utopia and Z1R are terminated 4.4 (for my 1Z).
Is this upcoming amp a reality - or speculation.
I had a quick look at the iBasso website - it looks like the amp modules "slide" into the player and are not stacked - nice from an ergonomic standpoint.

The only reason I am writing this - not because I do not LOVE my 1Z. Simply because streaming is extremely important to me - TIDAL to preview new albums.

Any time frame on a complete DX200/4.4 amp solution ?

Sep 8, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #14,260 of 45,723
Interesting reading Vince

So are you telling me that iBasso has an amp module coming out with a 4.4 connector? That would be a very interesting development as my Axios cables for both Utopia and Z1R are terminated 4.4 (for my 1Z).
Is this upcoming amp a reality - or speculation.
I had a quick look at the iBasso website - it looks like the amp modules "slide" into the player and are not stacked - nice from an ergonomic standpoint.

The only reason I am writing this - not because I do not LOVE my 1Z. Simply because streaming is extremely important to me - TIDAL to preview new albums.

Any time frame on a complete DX200/4.4 amp solution ?

Yes, and yes
Reality
Yes
Anytime now

Sep 9, 2017 at 1:10 AM Post #14,261 of 45,723
I like how the xba-z5 sound with wm1a balanced, detailed, in the entire spectrum and not piercing highs.

Don't know why many people prefer the EX1000

I get high off those highs.

If you've ever heard a live violin performance, it's the highs that make your ears quiver. I get that same feeling with the ex1000s.

Sep 9, 2017 at 1:19 AM Post #14,262 of 45,723
Ex1000 is already good in SE, imagine having it with Balanced, I also have the connectors for EX to MMCX.

I have yet to try this out, I already have the Sony 4.4 balanced MMCX cable.

Sep 9, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #14,263 of 45,723
Ex1000 is already good in SE, imagine having it with Balanced, I also have the connectors for EX to MMCX.

I have yet to try this out, I already have the Sony 4.4 balanced MMCX cable.

Please let us know your thoughts.

I'm current using my ex1000s in SE out of the Grace Design m920 as a handy desktop solution. Thinking of going balanced to use with the 1A.

Sep 9, 2017 at 4:22 AM Post #14,265 of 45,723
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back