SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 5, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #14,146 of 45,723
Give it a week or two and it will be hisstory.

Is it hiss like a cat's hiss, or hiss like a rattlesnake's hiss? Do dinosaur experts think that the Tyrannosaurus Rex hissed?

Sep 5, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #14,148 of 45,723
gifkidisneimaugli548340_yapfiles.ru.gif

I'm everywhere !

Sep 5, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #14,149 of 45,723
Sep 5, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #14,150 of 45,723
Sep 5, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #14,151 of 45,723
Last edited:
Sep 5, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #14,152 of 45,723
I'm feeling left out - I GOT NO HISS! Might return my 1Z and see if I can get one with attitude - one that hisses :dragon::dragon::dragon::dragon::dragon: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sep 5, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #14,153 of 45,723
It’s not a true 1Z unless it hisses.

Sep 5, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #14,156 of 45,723
Hello, a question for the bluetooth remote? Is there any way to turn on the screen of the WM1 from the remote? Only turn on the screen? Volume up for example, turn on the screen? Thanks!

Sep 5, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #14,157 of 45,723
In a way I'm not really surprised CEOs from JH and 64 are WM1Z users.

The team behind the 1Z not only captured good sound, but the interface is also spot on. It is well put together and more importantly it also feels less of a smartphone (especially compared with DAPs running skinned Android) and more of its own category of device, especially with the analog touches the designers put into the package such as the layout or the spectrum and volume meter which aims to mimic the action of actually turning a knob. I believe the 1Z team and the headphone CEOs are from the same generation - the ones which had fond memories growing up at the peak of analog era listening to vinyls and tapes and playing with tube amps and FM radios then transitioned into the digital age of CDs, so I believe they speak the same "language", and thus the 1Z appeals to them on that sort of emotional level which people from the same generation usually shares. Whereas a lot of the other DAP makers are purely products of the digital age and appeals to a much younger crowd.

Sep 5, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #14,158 of 45,723
In a way I'm not really surprised CEOs from JH and 64 are WM1Z users.

The team behind the 1Z not only captured good sound, but the interface is also spot on. It is well put together and more importantly it also feels less of a smartphone (especially compared with DAPs running skinned Android) and more of its own category of device, especially with the analog touches the designers put into the package such as the layout or the spectrum and volume meter which aims to mimic the action of actually turning a knob. I believe the 1Z team and the headphone CEOs are from the same generation - the ones which had fond memories growing up at the peak of analog era listening to vinyls and tapes and playing with tube amps and FM radios then transitioned into the digital age of CDs, so I believe they speak the same "language", and thus the 1Z appeals to them on that sort of emotional level which people from the same generation usually shares. Whereas a lot of the other DAP makers are purely products of the digital age and appeals to a much younger crowd.

Us older folk have better taste than the younger generation and pay attention to detail quite bit more but that’s just my opinion.

Sep 5, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #14,159 of 45,723
Us older folk have better taste than the younger generation and pay attention to detail quite bit more but that’s just my opinion.

It's not just young people though, in general I would say there is a widespread lack of appreciation for professional work and how much time and effort good design actually costs in the digital age where every one is a "creator" due to wide availability of cheap and powerful tools. It's true that anyone now can make products for cheap, but they are also not of the same level of quality.

Sep 5, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #14,160 of 45,723
From my previous experience with Sony zx2 I know the sound signature on Sony DAPs fluctuate a lot till the sound settles down. I see similar performance with Sony wm1z. I am about 300 hrs in (200 balanced, 100 SE).. about upto 150 hrs balanced I enjoyed the sound with Sony enhancements. I used DSEE HX "strings" and D.C. Phase linearizer set to "Type A Low". However after 180 hrs in on balanced I don't like the sound with enhancements anymore , I feel like they are masking details a lot. Now I absolutely love source direct.. so all you users of wm1z can you share your experience during burn in.. just curious to see how many use just source direct ..

PC

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back