SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 19, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #12,166 of 45,723
So I have been enjoying this thread over the past couple of weeks. I currently have a zx2 which I have been enjoying for a while now. I decided to pull the trigger and order a wm1a so I could go balanced to my Layla's. So I received my order from Amazon today and opened the box. To my surprise, the 1a was not in the sony packaging. Someone had replaced it with an HDMI video adapter! Everything was sealed on the outside and looked legit. Never had that happen before! Amazon is taking care of it of course, but it is disappointing! Especially since it was sold by Amazon and not a third party seller.

May 19, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #12,167 of 45,723
So I have been enjoying this thread over the past couple of weeks. I currently have a zx2 which I have been enjoying for a while now. I decided to pull the trigger and order a wm1a so I could go balanced to my Layla's. So I received my order from Amazon today and opened the box. To my surprise, the 1a was not in the sony packaging. Someone had replaced it with an HDMI video adapter! Everything was sealed on the outside and looked legit. Never had that happen before! Amazon is taking care of it of course, but it is disappointing! Especially since it was sold by Amazon and not a third party seller.
Lol, it happens everywhere, just whether or not you are the receiver. Amazon fully acknowledged this and that is why they will replace it without questions asked

May 19, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #12,168 of 45,723
So I just received my WM1Z, it has 140 hours on it I believe. I’ll put it on to burn later after I transferred some more tracks.

The Sony is quite different than I expected. Starting with the LPG, its signature consists of a bump around the sub- and mid-bass giving it a boosted and full-bodied low-end, followed by a bump at the lower midrange starting at 500 KHz up until 2-3 KHz, and then a treble peak around 9-10 KHz. Accordingly, the midrange is forward and dense. It creates a solid, powerful vocal presentation, and generally speaking, the LPG is quite upfront. The mid-upper treble peak in turn gives it its brighter than neutral tone, and that extra bit of sparkle, clarity and excitement.

The WM1Z’s bass is more neutral by comparison, and doesn’t seem to be particularly enhanced. Especially the upper bass is slightly laidback, in order to create a cleaner stage. However, this also takes some warmth as well as depth from the presentation. In contrast to the LPG, it has its main energy around an upper midrange peak at 6 KHz, followed by a slightly attenuated treble to balance the tone and maintain its naturalness. But its not necessarily a dip in the treble, it’s closer to linear. The 6 Khz peak is tuned to put more emphasis on the articulation of notes, and effectively increase its resolution. Both the instrument and vocal size is fairly large, creating a nicely full presentation. But as @EagleWings mentioned, while larger in size compared to the LPG, vocals aren’t denser. The LPG’s lower midrange is more prominent, giving it that bit of extra vocal power and solidity. The 1Z’s vocals in turn are centered on articulation, although it’s nevertheless nicely balanced throughout the vocal range. In addition, the tone of the midrange is quite accurate, and overall its pace seems to be very good.

As is, I wouldn’t necessarily classify it as a particularly smooth player due to its upper midrange emphasis, at least not as a defining trait; but I’m counting on it to settle in a bit more after burn. I was mainly expecting it to be warmer and more forward; more emotional perhaps. But these expectations were shaped relative to my AK, which is bassier, and accordingly, warmer, thicker and smoother. I would say the Sony is a mildly warm player with a focus on a realistic portrayal of tone. It's a beautiful player to see and hold btw, despite that its quite heavy. But weight doesn't bother me much.

These impressions are based on SE; I’m going to have to wait a short while for some balanced cables unfortunately, but I’ll let it burn for a while and come back to it in a bit.

Thanks for in depth impressions mate. I wonder what are your thoughts going to be after full burn in and getting the balanced cable.

May 20, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #12,172 of 45,723
Just done a balanced re wire for a mate on his P7's , these baby's are sounding excellent now , looks like I'm going to try this out on my P9's .... To hell with the warranty ! 1495283163270901157011.jpg

May 20, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #12,173 of 45,723
Happy Weekends guys. Total DAP dummy first time out. Now on my 1A the firmware is 1.00. How do you get the latest updates? Most thankful.
I use sony mediaGO yo organize my music and to update my WM1A

May 20, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #12,176 of 45,723
After using the WM1A for a couple of months bit the bullet and bought the 1Z !! I much prefer the sound signature of the 1Z and can't wait to start the burn in process over the weekend. What's been the average burn in time generally? Is it around 200 hours given the 1Z capacitors?
I would agree. I had the WM1A with over 800 hours on it and then got the 1Z. I find the 1Z smoother in the highs and generally more open sounding and natural. It is heavy though. Had to start working out with weights. lol

May 20, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #12,177 of 45,723
May 20, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #12,179 of 45,723
Well the Wm1z is great for a fitness session.....lol
@Whitigir .. you are bad influence on my wallet.. thanks to your excellent feedback I not only got Sony wm1z last moth , got Sony z1r to with as well this week .. few months ago I would never dream to drop $5.5k on portable gear.. thanks so much for your contributions on both threads .. much appreciated

Pc

Last edited:
May 20, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #12,180 of 45,723
I would agree. I had the WM1A with over 800 hours on it and then got the 1Z. I find the 1Z smoother in the highs and generally more open sounding and natural. It is heavy though. Had to start working out with weights. lol
I know what you mean! The weight on that thing is quite something. Have to admit tho that straight out of the box it sounded absolutely horrendous, close to 30 hours on the burn in and starting to see a few improvements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back