SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 22, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #9,691 of 45,723
  Thanks.  I just tried again. My charger has two USB outlets, which apparently different: it didn't work on the N/A (Non-Apple) outlet but is charging happily on the A (Apple) outlet.  Issue resolved.

The old chargers have labels for Apple, Samsung, etc.  Newer chargers no longer have these labels, and incorporate smart device detection, which sets the charger so that it is compatible with the device.  Aukey, for instance, calls their's Aipower.  

The way Apple (or other companies) detects whether a charger is compatible, is by looking for a small voltage on one of the Data leads.  If it is missing, or too far off, then the device will not charge.  I found this out when trying to figure out why an old speaker dock would not charge an iphone.  It's surpising that they are able to do this using the USB standard, which only has 4 leads, Grd   D+  D-  5V

Feb 22, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #9,692 of 45,723
Out for my evening walk, went to convenience store. Put my 1z on the counter to get my money out, dude was asking about the brick. What is that? It's so big. I tell him it's high res, etc. Looks at my V20, and tells me, so is your phone lgv20, right? Lol. Yes. Then asked if my dap was old. Asked if it was a vape too. Lol... I didn't want to get into explaining it... But guess that's what the average person thinks. He probably would have had a heart attack if I told him the price.

​Today i also got a hard time explaining my WM1A size LOL, the dude (i'm taking some asp.net MVC developement course) asked me what it was and i told an MP3 player that plays hi-def music formats like FLAC and he told me if it wasn't one of these daps from the late 90´s
biggrin.gif

I scared some one with the 4.4mm, held the walkman in such a way it looked like a gun's nozzle

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #9,693 of 45,723
I got my 1A a couple weeks ago and after a very brief listen, set it up to do the burn in.  

I don't have my 4.4mm balanced cable yet, so when I finally got a chance for some serious listening, it was in SE mode.  WOW!  Every song had depth, texture and detail I didn't know was there.  This is truly the most I have enjoyed music in several years. I can hardly wait to hear it balanced!  My listening today was with the 1More Triple, which seems to be an excellent match. I have better iem's, but it all sounded so great I just couldn't bring myself to change anything.

BTW, I'm at about 250 hours of burn in now.

Thank you to all the Head-Fi'ers for their comments that convinced me to make this purchase.

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #9,694 of 45,723
  The old chargers have labels for Apple, Samsung, etc.  Newer chargers no longer have these labels, and incorporate smart device detection, which sets the charger so that it is compatible with the device.  Aukey, for instance, calls their's Aipower.  

The way Apple (or other companies) detects whether a charger is compatible, is by looking for a small voltage on one of the Data leads.  If it is missing, or too far off, then the device will not charge.  I found this out when trying to figure out why an old speaker dock would not charge an iphone.  It's surpising that they are able to do this using the USB standard, which only has 4 leads, Grd   D+  D-  5V

Building in a charging protection circuits in the electronic device itself is nothing new, it's there to preserve and protect the battery, because incorrect voltage/current as well as overcharging could lead to damaging the battery and in worse case scenario fire and explosion.

Feb 23, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #9,695 of 45,723

Building in a charging protection circuits in the electronic device itself is nothing new, it's there to preserve and protect the battery, because incorrect voltage/current as well as overcharging could lead to damaging the battery and in worse case scenario fire and explosion.

Agree that most/all devices will control charge rate/current/shorts, voltage within range, etc.  This is pretty well industry standard.  Most lithium batteries have protection circuits as part of the battery.

This sense circuit  that prevents the use of a charger is something in addition to charge control/protection, as it looks for a particular sense voltage before it will turn on the charge circuit.  Just having a proper 5V and Grd.is not enough.    Apple has one requirement, Samsung has another.  As far as I can tell, the main purpose is to lock the device to their own charger (or one that duplicates the same sense voltage).  You could say that one of the goals is to makes sure that users always uses a charger from the vendor, and no other, and thus enforces a known hardware standard.  However, in practice, 3rd party manufacturers know what needs to be done to get around this, so this does not prevent cheap chargers from existing, or being used.  

I'm more inclined to suspect that vendors do this more to maximize their their profits from accessory sales.  More info below, for those interested.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

http://www.righto.com/2014/05/a-look-inside-ipad-chargers-pricey.html 
Both chargers use resistors to put special voltages on the USB data lines[12] to indicate the charger type, using Apple's proprietary system (details). (This is why iPads say "Charging is not supported with this accessory" with some chargers.) Through these resistors the genuine charger indicates that it is an Apple 2A charger, while the counterfeit indicates that it is an Apple 1A charger. This shows that the counterfeit is really a 5W charger packaged as a 10W charger.

http://www.righto.com/2012/10/a-dozen-usb-chargers-in-lab-apple-is.html#ref6

[6] The chargers use specific voltages on the data pins to indicate the charger type to the device being charged. Because of this, an "incorrect" charger may be rejected by an iPhone with the message "Charging is not supported with this accessory".[7] Under the USB standard, a charger should short the two data pins together to indicate that it's a "dedicated" charger and not a real USB device. However, companies such as Apple, HP, and Sony have their own proprietary nonstandard techniques. The following table summarizes the voltages that appear on the D+ and D- lines for different chargers, and how the D+ and D- lines are configured internally.

Charger type​
D+ voltage​
D- voltage​
D+/D- shorted​
D+ pullup (kΩ)​
D+ pulldown (kΩ)​
D- pullup (kΩ)​
D- pulldown (kΩ)​
dedicated USB​
float​
float​
yes​
none​
none​
none​
none​
Apple .5A​
2​
2​
no​
75​
49.9​
75​
49.9​
Apple 1A​
2​
2.7​
no​
75​
49.9​
43.2​
49.9​
Apple 2A​
2.7​
2​
no​
43.2​
49.9​
75​
49.9​
HP TouchPad 2A​
2.8​
2.7​
yes​
250​
300​
n/a​
n/a​
Sony​
3.3​
3.3​
no​
5.1​
10​
5.1​
 ​

Feb 23, 2017 at 1:08 AM Post #9,696 of 45,723
It's not always about maximising profits from the consumer purely from the monetary/greed POV - it's also in the interest of the company to make sure the equipment functions correctly to reduce warranty claims which would be a drain on the profit as well (*cough*Samsung Galaxy Note 7*cough* - although that one is not so much about using fakes/bad chargers but the point still stands - companies has good financial reasons to make sure their equipment is functional, tying their gear with certified chargers is IMO an acceptable way of doing it).

Also bad/fake cables and chargers DO damage electronics - we all know about that case of poor quality USB-C cables that fried smartphones too.

Feb 23, 2017 at 1:17 AM Post #9,697 of 45,723
Great update and yet another baffling Sony management flop, why when you have something good not share it even on your own relevant product web pages:dizzy_face:
I remember being surprised when zx1 came out that they are actually still coming up with good things.. But whoever is in charge there.. WAKE THE F:smiling_imp::smiling_imp:K UP

Not sure what you're on about mate, it's being gradually rolled out across regions. We just happened to find out earlier thanks to nanaholic being a sleuth :p It's already been updated to our local Sony support website, dated February 23, if your region doesn't have it yet, it will very soon.

Edit: It's possible you mean they should have more reliable notifications so people get to know about it, in that case I definitely agree. The product marketing and communications could use some help for these fine devices.

Feb 23, 2017 at 1:35 AM Post #9,698 of 45,723
Ideally you will be notified via Media Go when an update is available when you plug in the device. I guess another way is to subscribe to news letters. Other than that there's really not much ways to get directly notified and you'll have to look for reports on websites and forums.

Feb 23, 2017 at 2:29 AM Post #9,699 of 45,723
  It's not always about maximising profits from the consumer purely from the monetary/greed POV - it's also in the interest of the company to make sure the equipment functions correctly to reduce warranty claims which would be a drain on the profit as well (*cough*Samsung Galaxy Note 7*cough* - although that one is not so much about using fakes/bad chargers but the point still stands - companies has good financial reasons to make sure their equipment is functional, tying their gear with certified chargers is IMO an acceptable way of doing it).

Also bad/fake cables and chargers DO damage electronics - we all know about that case of poor quality USB-C cables that fried smartphones too.

I Agree.  There are so many poorly made products on the market, it is essential to buy properly made products, with a background and history behind them.  This will never be the cheapest.  So it is a good rule to stay away from products that are too cheap.  Though there are many reputable companies that are viable alternatives to the original Manufacturer's accessories, which are often cheaper, and have more utility.  But the user has to be careful in their choice.

Though Apple, for one, has a poor record.  There are too many things they have done that hurt consumers, while helping their bottom line.  

Feb 23, 2017 at 3:15 AM Post #9,700 of 45,723
Not sure what you're on about mate, it's being gradually rolled out across regions. We just happened to find out earlier thanks to nanaholic being a sleuth :p It's already been updated to our local Sony support website, dated February 23, if your region doesn't have it yet, it will very soon.

Edit: It's possible you mean they should have more reliable notifications so people get to know about it, in that case I definitely agree. The product marketing and communications could use some help for these fine devices.

What is not clear mate, if there's such an update, where is it on an eu or asian Sony web page and why it takes ages??
I am talking about super silly executive desicions that seem to be part of Sony last 20 years history after brilliant management of the past.
Just an example is a complete inconsistencies in their media players across TV and blueray disc players, no album art, different players etc with no logic whatsoever. Its just one example of many, but i am not gonna go on about it if everyone else is super happy

Feb 23, 2017 at 3:20 AM Post #9,701 of 45,723
What is not clear mate, if there's such an update, where is it on an eu or asian Sony web page and why it takes ages??
I am talking about super silly executive desicions that seem to be part of Sony last 20 years history after brilliant management of the past.
Just an example is a complete inconsistencies in their media players across TV and blueray disc players, no album art, different players etc with no logic whatsoever. Its just one example of many, but i am not gonna go on about it if everyone else is super happy

It's not ages. The firmware is discovered to be uploaded to Sony's server a less than 40 hours ago but not made public, today Sony Japan has officially announced the firmware update on their web pages as well as via media outlets like big tech websites.  Firmware updates are ALWAYS rolled out in stages, because internal testings can only reveal that much so that you don't want to risk bricking tens of thousands of devices all at once, second is you don't want all users hammering the server all at once downloading hundreds of megabytes worth of data and bringing down your IT infrastructures.   

Sony may have done some bad updates before but this one is not it. This roll out is text book perfectly executed in the IT world. 

Feb 23, 2017 at 3:23 AM Post #9,702 of 45,723

http://www.sony-asia.com/support/product/nw-wm1a/modelfirst 

Firmware 1.10, Dated 23 Feb 2017, so just showing up today.

Feb 23, 2017 at 3:28 AM Post #9,703 of 45,723
Don't get me wrong people, i am one of the biggest Sony fans out there, just look at my Walkman collection here, but what im talking about is the fact that the only reason any of us is still holding his precious is the unlimited financial resources of this company after they completely forgot who was the portable audio king for some 10 years.

I am super happy to hear that the firmware is being rolled out and Sony is finally on tbe right track.
Just cant help having this sense info gets up slowly there:neutral_face:

Now,only if they would adress that artwork issue and get rid of proprietary connections for next Gen plus get a more realistic price out rather than it coming down significantly almost right away abd we're all winning!
Oh, and dont forget that if you are selling a model across the globe and you're offering an accompanying product like a balanced cable, you might as well actually start selling it.
Ok, enough ranting now, i adore my 1A☺️

Feb 23, 2017 at 5:34 AM Post #9,705 of 45,723
Maybe check your country's SONY site.

I checked it's up on Sony Singapore website.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back