Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 23, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #8,011 of 45,723
I don't use other vendor cables
biggrin.gif
, can not help you there

Thanks.

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #8,015 of 45,723
I may know the reason behind the plugs (both 3.5 and 4.4mm) wiggling, because both plugs aren't soldered to the circuit board directly. They have cables running from them to the board.

I think is btter this as I feel they are more tolerant to stress as they are suspended and freely move, unlike a plug that's soldered into the board can't really move as it is "glued" to the board and it can break over time

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #8,016 of 45,723
I may know the reason behind the plugs (both 3.5 and 4.4mm) wiggling, because both plugs aren't soldered to the circuit board directly. They have cables running from them to the board.

I think is btter this as I feel they are more tolerant to stress as they are suspended and freely move, unlike a plug that's soldered into the board can't really move as it is "glued" to the board and it can break over time

I already stated that a few posts back :wink:. The sockets on Walkman is wired to the main board and not directly soldered on. It can move and wiggles, but there is nothing to worry about

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #8,017 of 45,723
Seem to have partially solved my distortion problem I've been having with a few CDs I've put on my WM1A.

The computer is the problem - the files play with distortion when playing from the PC to my Bluetooth receiver. So I can now rule out the Sony as the problem.

Guess I'll have to get a new offboard disc drive for my laptop.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone :)

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #8,018 of 45,723
Seem to have partially solved my distortion problem I've been having with a few CDs I've put on my WM1A.

The computer is the problem - the files play with distortion when playing from the PC to my Bluetooth receiver. So I can now rule out the Sony as the problem.

Guess I'll have to get a new offboard disc drive for my laptop.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone :)

Congratulations, you finally found it out of the millions things that could go wrong :D. That was quick btw

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #8,020 of 45,723
  Be careful with aftermarket 4.4mm balanced cables and adapters. We don't know the amplifier circuit design. Improper wiring may damage the circuit. 

But we do know the pin outs for certain - that's the beauty of being a proper industry backed standard.

If your balance to balance converter or headphone cable doesn't test out like that, go get a refund. 
If someone tries to sell you a SE to balance converter, he's trying to rob you.

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #8,021 of 45,723
Much has been written here about the balanced output the new Sony players have and it sounds impressive, I'd love to hear it. However, looking on the Sony site there's very little information about which of their products carry this connector (apart from the new Signature headphones) or where to buy headphones or cables that are 'balanced ready'.

I've seen a lot of reference to buying connectors from third-party manufacturers and (I assume) doing a DIY job to get the desired result.

This all seems a bit unsatisfactory for a premium product to have to go rooting around the internet trying to find the right accessories by word of mouth.

Can't I just buy a pair of good headphones with balanced connection? Maybe from Sony themselves even?

And what about decently-priced ready-made cables that work with some mainstream / well-known headphones like LCD3?

Jan 23, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #8,022 of 45,723
Much has been written here about the balanced output the new Sony players have and it sounds impressive, I'd love to hear it. However, looking on the Sony site there's very little information about which of their products carry this connector (apart from the new Signature headphones) or where to buy headphones or cables that are 'balanced ready'.

I've seen a lot of reference to buying connectors from third-party manufacturers and (I assume) doing a DIY job to get the desired result.

This all seems a bit unsatisfactory for a premium product to have to go rooting around the internet trying to find the right accessories by word of mouth.

Can't I just buy a pair of good headphones with balanced connection? Maybe from Sony themselves even?

And what about decently-priced ready-made cables that work with some mainstream / well-known headphones like LCD3?

Kimber cables by Sony can be purchased, and you want premium cables ? Search for Kimber Silver Axios cables for 4.4mm. I don't know how you can get any more premium than this. Beside that, as always, you can buy it from custom cables vendors, or helps from any DIY friends.

From Sony headphones MDR-Z1R

Decently priced would be Kimber regular balanced cables for Sony.

LCD-3 is not Sony, so to blame this on Sony is not fair, you need to contact Audeze and seek their helps....isn't LCD-3 a premium as well ? Please don't blame everything on Sony. They make the player, they don't make the cables for other manufacturers , they make cables for their headphones and their players, they are not obligated to make cables for other headphones manufacturers.

Jan 23, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #8,023 of 45,723

The new PHA2 amp also has the 4.4mm output.  And of course every Signature Series product supports 4.4mm connection.

You can get a bunch of Sony Kimber Kables that are balance ready that are terimanted in MMCX or 3.5mm connectors to the headphone.

Some non-Sony phones are already being sold with 4.4mm options like Oriolus
http://www.oriolus.jp/72621.html

Japan's CIEM maker Canal works offers 4.4mm balance cable as an option.

Braise Audio makes a bunch of converters and aftermarket cables. etc and e-earphone even has a category for 4.4mm cables on its own
http://www.e-earphone.jp/shopbrand/ct2977

And lastly, you can buy them from the Chinese ebay - Taobao, which also has 4.4mm aftermarket cables in spades. 

You have to keep in mind the 4.4mm jack is only something that's only released for a couple of months and limited in that the standard is mainly derived in Japan and the supply of the plugs are only just beginning to ramp up and slowing trickling into the Western market.  If you read Japanese or Chinese, your options are actually pretty big. 

Jan 23, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #8,025 of 45,723
Kimber cables by Sony can be purchased, and you want premium cables ? Search for Kimber Silver Axios cables for 4.4mm. I don't know how you can get any more premium than this. Beside that, as always, you can buy it from custom cables vendors, or helps from any DIY friends.

From Sony headphones MDR-Z1R

Decently priced would be Kimber regular balanced cables for Sony.

LCD-3 is not Sony, so to blame this on Sony is not fair, you need to contact Audeze and seek their helps....isn't LCD-3 a premium as well ? Please don't blame everything on Sony. They make the player, they don't make the cables for other manufacturers , they make cables for their headphones and their players, they are not obligated to make cables for other headphones manufacturers.

I'm not particularly having a big dig at Sony, clearly they expect or anticipate consumers will use the 1A/Z with the MDR-Z1R as it's (afaik) the only headphone they make with the 4.4mm connector. That's their prerogative as the manufacturer. However, it would've been great if they'd made a pair of smaller portable use 'phones with balanced operation to offer a choice at launch. Maybe soon we'll see these appear too.

I've seen a PDF here that showed three different Kimber/Sony cables that are available but I'm not aware that they can be used with anything other than the MDR-Z1R in the Sony range. No idea where they're for sale either.

I wasn't aware that the new connector was so new - that explains the lack of information and available product.

As for the LCD3, it's just a well known high-end headphone so I thought it would be suitable for someone to make a balanced cable for it. As the connector is so new, I guess these things will take time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back