SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 31, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #6,317 of 45,723
  I do not own the Z1R and  I have no plan to buy one, yet. I use a variety of gears to test my gear. These are the gears I mostly used:
  1. Kaede II 
  2. XBA-N3: Great bass and pairs nicely with 1A for modern music and most genera to be honest. Maybe lacks the width to suit classical music. 
  3. Dita Truth
  4. ER4S
  5. JVC HA-SW01
  6. JVC HA-FW01 (Single ended and balance)
  7. ATH IM04
  8. Sony MDR-EX1000 (the pairing with WM1A is far better than HUGO and as a result I ended up ordering a custom cable from PW-audio)

I enjoy the bass presentation of WM1A for my FW01 far more than HUGO. HUGO perhaps wins on instrument placement and overall resolution but Sony isn't that far behind.

I am actually in the process of selling my daps ans amps and just staying with HUGO, LPG and WM1A. If the Sony 4.4mm becomes mainstream I will sale all my gears and stay loyal to this movement as it simply works!

I will be more than happy to stay with EX-1000 and WM1A if I had to decide between all my gears. I haven't decided on how well WM1A pairs with KSE1500, perhaps hugo wins this one but I like what I hear from wm1a single ended output.

Thanks for the detailed info!  I'm thinking I'll just stick with the Hugo as it's more versatile (I would have to sell it to purchase the WM1A).  

I have to say it's awesome to see Sony making such high quality products once again because there was so much crap for so many years.  I still remember fondly when Sony was king and I saved a huge chunk of my high school part time job funds to purchase a 27" Trinitron in the mid-90s...it was amazing.  If you're into photography I can't recommend their mirrorless system enough!  

Dec 31, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #6,318 of 45,723
How is 1z driving Utopia compare to 1Z driving Z1R, both in balance 4.4? Has anyone compared to that?

Dec 31, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #6,319 of 45,723
Are there any current comparisons of the WM1Z and the WM1A? 

It seems the 1A is still one hundred over suggested retail on Amazon in the US. 

Dec 31, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #6,321 of 45,723
I also came from AK240, was listening to both 1A and 1Z  and I thought if I bought the 1A and would end up picking the 1Z after a while, might as well jump straight to the gold, and so did I :happy_face1:

Good for you! That is some setup.....did you notice a big enough difference between the 1A and 1Z?

Dec 31, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #6,322 of 45,723
So, I finally went back to my Cowon S after using the Z non stop. I hear an immediate difference in the sound. The Z definitely has more warmth, a more analog sound to it. It sounds more natural to me. It's firmly noticeable too. I didn't think I'd be saying this... I truly loved my S... But the Z is different, noticeably different. All in a good way.

Dec 31, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #6,323 of 45,723
So, I finally went back to my Cowon S after using the Z non stop. I hear an immediate difference in the sound. The Z definitely has more warmth, a more analog sound to it. It sounds more natural to me. It's firmly noticeable too. I didn't think I'd be saying this... I truly loved my S... But the Z is different, noticeably different. All in a good way.

I think its because you got used to the Sony Sound. Its great you like the Z more but I don't really believe its the best way to compare. You get used to a certain house sound and you keep listening for certain aspects of that sound you like in other devices...they may perform just as well but might just be different. If you like the sony house sound more, its the right choice to stick with it. For example some people love the Chord house sound. Some find it too thin and too hifi. Some people swear by the Schiit house sound, while some think Yggy sounds like glass shards...and thin. It all depends on your taste. I don't necessary take sides. Enjoy your WM1Z. 

Dec 31, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #6,324 of 45,723

Interested to hear your thoughts on how the UI's compare in terms of performance, usability, and feature set.

Dec 31, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #6,326 of 45,723
I think its because you got used to the Sony Sound. Its great you like the Z more but I don't really believe its the best way to compare. You get used to a certain house sound and you keep listening for certain aspects of that sound you like in other devices...they may perform just as well but might just be different. If you like the sony house sound more, its the right choice to stick with it. For example some people love the Chord house sound. Some find it too thin and too hifi. Some people swear by the Schiit house sound, while some think Yggy sounds like glass shards...and thin. It all depends on your taste. I don't necessary take sides. Enjoy your WM1Z. 

Thanks bro, I definitely will.

I'm regards to your comments, that's not usually how I compare. I normally prefer to ab things, but in this instance the differences were so noticeable I was a bit taken back. Normally I don't year that much of a difference.

I will do some direct comparisons at some point though as that's my preferred method.

Interested to hear your thoughts on how the UI's compare in terms of performance, usability, and feature set.

The Cowon S is better hands down on UI and performance. I don't use standalone dacs or worry much about dsd. Just on the UI, the S is superior. It's faster, easier to use, and my biggest gripe on the Z, there is a manual search function on the S.

** Damn Sony and their stupid proprietary cable... Forgot my cable at my office, had to waste an hour going there and back to get it. Ordered 2 more of them from Amazon so I don't have to worry about this again. 2nd time I've done this.

Dec 31, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #6,327 of 45,723
Thanks bro, I definitely will.

I'm regards to your comments, that's not usually how I compare. I normally prefer to ab things, but in this instance the differences were so noticeable I was a bit taken back. Normally I don't year that much of a difference.

I will do some direct comparisons at some point though as that's my preferred method.
The Cowon S is better hands down on UI and performance. I don't use standalone dacs or worry much about dsd. Just on the UI, the S is superior. It's faster, easier to use, and my biggest gripe on the Z, there is a manual search function on the S.

** Damn Sony and their stupid proprietary cable... Forgot my cable at my office, had to waste an hour going there and back to get it. Ordered 2 more of them from Amazon so I don't have to worry about this again. 2nd time I've done this.

Also, I am assuming you are listening to your 1Z in SE mode. You Should try it in the balanced mode also 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #6,329 of 45,723
Hi all, first of all, Happy New Year!
I definitely will purchase a WM1A once it's available in N America. I have a question. Should I get the MUC-M12SB1 now, or waiting for other 4.4mm balanced cable? Thanks for any input.

Dec 31, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #6,330 of 45,723
I would say just get the Sony 4.4mm Kimber while hunting your next cable.

You will have a feel on how SONY would like you to hear music.

Pretty good to me actually. It's 8 wire braided copper cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back