SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 30, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #6,302 of 45,723
Listening to HUGO and WM1A, I still slightly prefer the HUGO (cant say why, perhaps personal bias) but to me they are both cut from the cloth, so to speak. They sound too similar than different. And to me that is a big achievement on Sonys end!

Interesting thoughts. Are you using the Z1Rs? I just picked them up in Tokyo and they are amazing. Sony has managed to keep musicality and fun but not sacrifice clarity. I currently own the HD800 and PS1000e and have owned the T1s and LCD3 Fazor along with a whole pile of various level phones.

I'm running the Z1Rs out of the Hugo through my MacBook Pro using Audirvana Plus 2 and am impressed, but am wondering if I'm missing synergy by not utilizing the balanced connection and a Sony made device. My guess is I'm not missing much but the OCD side of me can't stop wondering!!!

I might end up selling all my other phones and just have Sony kit. I'm that impressed.

Dec 30, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #6,303 of 45,723

Yes it will be and a big one, I made the jump 3 weeks ago and never looked back, I am stunned at how good the WM1A is and that's singled ended WM1A vs DP-X1 balanced! Also that's volume capped WM1A vs japanese version of DP-X1. 

The WM1A is full bodied, timbre and texture are just simply miles beter in my book and the layers and layers of depth... 

Thanks for your input @davidmolliere! A new DAP this way comes 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 30, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #6,304 of 45,723
Interesting thoughts. Are you using the Z1Rs? I just picked them up in Tokyo and they are amazing. Sony has managed to keep musicality and fun but not sacrifice clarity. I currently own the HD800 and PS1000e and have owned the T1s and LCD3 Fazor along with a whole pile of various level phones.

I'm running the Z1Rs out of the Hugo through my MacBook Pro using Audirvana Plus 2 and am impressed, but am wondering if I'm missing synergy by not utilizing the balanced connection and a Sony made device. My guess is I'm not missing much but the OCD side of me can't stop wondering!!!

I might end up selling all my other phones and just have Sony kit. I'm that impressed.

I do not own the Z1R and  I have no plan to buy one, yet. I use a variety of gears to test my gear. These are the gears I mostly used:
  1. Kaede II 
  2. XBA-N3: Great bass and pairs nicely with 1A for modern music and most genera to be honest. Maybe lacks the width to suit classical music. 
  3. Dita Truth
  4. ER4S
  5. JVC HA-SW01
  6. JVC HA-FW01 (Single ended and balance)
  7. ATH IM04
  8. Sony MDR-EX1000 (the pairing with WM1A is far better than HUGO and as a result I ended up ordering a custom cable from PW-audio)

I enjoy the bass presentation of WM1A for my FW01 far more than HUGO. HUGO perhaps wins on instrument placement and overall resolution but Sony isn't that far behind.

I am actually in the process of selling my daps ans amps and just staying with HUGO, LPG and WM1A. If the Sony 4.4mm becomes mainstream I will sale all my gears and stay loyal to this movement as it simply works!

I will be more than happy to stay with EX-1000 and WM1A if I had to decide between all my gears. I haven't decided on how well WM1A pairs with KSE1500, perhaps hugo wins this one but I like what I hear from wm1a single ended output.

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:06 AM Post #6,305 of 45,723
i have the tucana and saturn, the tucana is simply a great cable, honestly everyone who sees that cable is impressed and sound wise its as their description

Is tucana terminated 4.4?

How is it compared to Sony own Kimber 4.4 cable

Dec 31, 2016 at 2:05 AM Post #6,307 of 45,723
Kimber cable with Andromeda sounds amazing. Even jvc 850 sounds very good on wm1a balanced. I'm just wondering if it's the balanced or actually Kimber cable making them sounds so good. It's so far ahead of Alo reference 8, at least for jvc. Maybe better cable can produce even better sound NBC

Dec 31, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #6,308 of 45,723
Lol NBC, it's dumb swipe on my phone.

Dec 31, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #6,309 of 45,723
I'm using high gain on balanced.

Dec 31, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #6,310 of 45,723
As great as the WM1A & WM1Z, a dedicated headphone amplifier will yield considerable amount of improvement.  The WM1Z at the end of the burn in period will likely be on par if not slightly better than the PHA3 in  balanced mode soundwise.  Still, it is quite a bit away from a top-end desktop amplifier such as the GS-X MKII or even the Sony very own TA-ZH1ES.  

I second this, and IMO, the 1Z does sound better than Pha-3 in lower trebles but with warmer signature and a more intimidating soundstage with vocal being more upfront. From preferences, I would agree that 1Z would be on the same par with pha-3 in general. For my own preferences, the 1Z is better as it has better lower trebles, and it requires no stacking. Ultimately, the TA-Zh1ES triumph them all as it is a high-end desktop equipment which is worth every penny.

If 1A is worth it value tremendously, then the TA amp also is that for the retailed price.

Dec 31, 2016 at 3:29 AM Post #6,311 of 45,723
Listening to HUGO and WM1A, I still slightly prefer the HUGO (cant say why, perhaps personal bias) but to me they are both cut from the cloth, so to speak. They sound too similar than different. And to me that is a big achievement on Sonys end!
wow that great, Wednesday shall be listening for mine

Dec 31, 2016 at 3:29 AM Post #6,312 of 45,723
Yes it will be and a big one, I made the jump 3 weeks ago and never looked back, I am stunned at how good the WM1A is and that's singled ended WM1A vs DP-X1 balanced! Also that's volume capped WM1A vs japanese version of DP-X1. 

The WM1A is full bodied, timbre and texture are just simply miles beter in my book and the layers and layers of depth... 

I never liked DP-X1 from the beginning. I am very open minded, and as far as this hobby go, I do realize that there is the different between more analog sounding (tube like) or digital sounding (solid states). Of course in each signatures, there are bad and there are worse, then there is something of good quality. IMO, DP-X1 was not good for digital type of sounding, the Opus 2 is ways better. The Zx2 is good for more analog tuned signatures, but it power is low, and it lacks some resolutions at the lower trebles with the back ground not as clean. So, no doubt the 1A sounds much better, supposedly it is the alternative version of 1Z.

I would say if someone love the sound of Zx2 and want an upgrade, the 1A is definitely it successor and is on par with Pha-3 just as much as 1Z in balanced mode. However, if someone is seeking that extra warmth and tubes like ? The 1Z will have that. Expensive, of course, but if it requires no stacking ? Why not. The only downside is that neither 1A or 1Z can be used as External DAC. Under this situation, I would call 1A being tremendous value in comparison the 1Z, the 1A prices is just as much as Zx2 as you get more audio dedicated performances, you lose the wifi and android capability.....1Z is still priced too high IMO for what it offers, it performances is no doubt top tier (preferences aside), but 1Z is only aiming toward those who either want to be at the top of the productions line, or enjoy the ability of it luxury or both. In the end, people can chose to buy a High Lander from Toyota or an Rx350 from Lexus :D

Also, to those who had been wondering, the engineers from Sony states that 1A is Zx2 direct successor but the company had chosen to stick with Walkman Os instead for better battery, upgradability, and sound performances, and so the name is WM and no longer ZX. Knowing Sony, Zx2 is probably the last of it ZX line with android OS. They also states that the 1A is approaching the Solid states signature as oppose to 1Z which is toward the Tube warmth. There, you have it :)

Dec 31, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #6,313 of 45,723
Kimber cable with Andromeda sounds amazing. Even jvc 850 sounds very good on wm1a balanced. I'm just wondering if it's the balanced or actually Kimber cable making them sounds so good. It's so far ahead of Alo reference 8, at least for jvc. Maybe better cable can produce even better sound NBC

I would say clarity wise Kimber is a bit lesser than ALO Ref8 but not far. 

Kimber has a more coherent sound with it's filling background but still have plenty clarity and sparks in highs. Very full sounding. More depth in front.

My 3.5mm Ref8 Andro WM1A combo makes the whole drum set sounds so wide... it felt funny. 

Dec 31, 2016 at 3:44 AM Post #6,314 of 45,723
I second this, and IMO, the 1Z does sound better than Pha-3 in lower trebles but with warmer signature and a more intimidating soundstage with vocal being more upfront. From preferences, I would agree that 1Z would be on the same par with pha-3 in general. For my own preferences, the 1Z is better as it has better lower trebles, and it requires no stacking. Ultimately, the TA-Zh1ES triumph them all as it is a high-end desktop equipment which is worth every penny.

If 1A is worth it value tremendously, then the TA amp also is that for the retailed price.

I agree with this as well but the PHA3 to my ears does sound warmer than the 1Z (using your silver/gold cable).  Of course, I still have 60 or so hours before the balanced break in period will hit the 200 hrs mark.  Hopefully, the soundstage will continue to improve....but I already begin to prefer the 1Z greater usability and all-day-long battery life.  That is just complete awesome in my book.  Plus, you can do an EQ on  the fly as well.  Bravo Sony!

BTW, just found out that the NW-WM1Z can digital out DSD signal into the PHA3 and my Oppo HA-1 too....I'm happy as a ever!  Finally, a portable DSD digital transport is available upon us.  Great job Sony!

Dec 31, 2016 at 6:26 AM Post #6,315 of 45,723
The WM1A with the Utopia is an incredible pairing.... the clarity and response is top notch... even coming from the A&K 240, I'm hearing new details which blew me away.... now just need to finish burning in the WM1A. Has anyone else tried this pairing? I'm trying to understand if it's worth getting a HP amplifier.

I also came from AK240, was listening to both 1A and 1Z  and I thought if I bought the 1A and would end up picking the 1Z after a while, might as well jump straight to the gold, and so did I 
happy_face1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back