SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 27, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #6,166 of 45,723
Over rated. The concept is nothing new, and I can DIY a much better and cheaper than that
biggrin.gif
, but whatever they can sell eh ?

Just learn how to do some DIY people.  I'm with Whitigir here.  I just reterminated my Z1R's 4.4 mm with 4-pin XLR and now I can use all my balanced phones with the WM-1Z.  

Dec 27, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #6,168 of 45,723
Thank you very much. I may only look at the 1A. I'm not familiar with the ZX2 hence I had to search for the pseudo-balanced Sony jack. I always thought it was as same as the balanced out in DP-X1 and AKs.

Dec 27, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #6,169 of 45,723
I just got the NW-WM1A and was looking to get a couple of cables to take advantage of the balanced output. I have the following HPs:

1. Focal Utopia
2. Campfire Audio Vega

Any recommendations other than Kimber?

Dec 27, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #6,171 of 45,723
As many are asking about how the 1A compares to the ZX2, and as an owner of the ZX1, ZX2 and now the 1A, I thought I would write my impressions.

For the purpose of my comparison I am using the AKG 3003s (although I have also compared them with my Roxannes CIEM) mainly because I consider them to be a very neutral sounding, transparent IEM, and by that I mean that it does not colour, add or subtract much to the signature of the DAP (or the recording for that matter). And while I am on the AKG subject , I think I should mention that not only do I consider the 3003s to be one of the most balanced, neutral, but at the same time rich and musical IEMs I have ever heard, but more importantly they match with all 3 Sonys very very well. It has been said many times that the match of the DAP and the IEM is at least as important as the components themselves and I would highly recommend listening to the 1A with the AKGs, the results are stunning.

Back to the ZX1, ZX2, 1A comparison:

When I first bought the ZX1, I thought it was a good but not great first try from Sony at making a hi-end DAP.
The main card it brought to the table was its resolution, with a lot of detail, and impressive instrument separation.
On the other hand, it its quest to impress with the amount of detail, I thought it was somewhat dry, lacking in richness of timbre.
It was also a bit grainy in its mids and when sound got more complicated it had trouble coping. It seemed to do better with simpler pieces of music, acoustic, voices or classical.

The ZX2 is another step forward, I would say quite audible.
Bass is improved (but sometimes can get a bit bloated), the mids are clearer and less grainy and treble is smoother in a way only very high quality components can achieve. Imaging is also improved and there is definitely a wider space that the ZX2 creates in front of the listener (I think there is a little bit of DSP effect going on there in that the sound instantly feels bigger).
But the one single difference that sets the ZX2 apart from the ZX1 is the pure fun of its sound. While the ZX1 can sound emotionless and dry sometimes the ZX2 achieves this rare effect where one gets immersed in the music in a very fun kind of way. It was the first DAP that gave me the same kind of emotional experience I get from my Focal speakers.

On to the 1A. To be honest I wasn't expecting much. I had read that it is quite neutral compared to the 1Z and probably the existence of its golden big brother made the 1A seem like a small evolution of the ZX2. My hearing impressions are that the improvement from the ZX2 to the 1A that Sony achieved is bigger that the step between the ZX1 and ZX2. And it is not in one or the other area, but in every single aspect of the sound. Its bass is, to me at least, perfect, just the right amount, never bloated, never overwhelming, always right, you hear the notes very clearly, you hear the bass, as in the organ, rather than the bass as in the frequency range if that makes any sense.
The mids are clearer than the ZX2, no grain whatsoever, very smooth and musical, effortless is the word I would use - in fact that is the word I would use for the 1A's sound overall. The treble I think has even better extension and is even smoother, never sibilant or harsh.
I believe the "Direct Sound" feature brings a new edge to the pureness of the sound here, going back and forth between ZX2 and 1A I can hear the DSP doing its thing on the ZX2, and a very natural, effortless high quality sound on the 1A, pure hi-end in my opinion. And while I have not heard the 1Z and cannot compare, regarding it's "warmer" sound as often reported, I can say that to my ears the 1A sounds just about right, the right amount of richness and depth/decay to the sound. It remains a very entertaining sound, maybe a touch less lively than the ZX2 but quite right, very enjoyable.

All of these impressions are made using the non-balanced output, so comparable.
A last word on volume.
Mine is the capped version and I can never hear it at max volume for more than 5 minutes.
I have trouble understanding all this fuss about the capped/non capped issue.
Hearing being our most precious "component" in this hobby, and the one thing we can't replace or buy, I would consider the capped version's max volume the limit of "safe" volume meaning that more than that, for long listening sessions can surely cause damage to one's hearing in the long term.

Dec 27, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #6,172 of 45,723
For me, buying the uncapped version, would be to have the best option available. That would be the uncapped version. I have some hard to drive iems and it also opens the door for additional headphones. Why buy something that is limited in any way? It would only hurt resale value and doesn't cost anything extra.

Dec 27, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #6,173 of 45,723
For me, buying the uncapped version, would be to have the best option available. That would be the uncapped version. I have some hard to drive iems and it also opens the door for additional headphones. Why buy something that is limited in any way? It would only hurt resale value and doesn't cost anything extra.

Totally agreed.  The WM-1Z  can handle the HD800 just fine without the need for additional amplification.  Of course, the HD800 will continue sound better out of desktop amp but the 1Z's ability to drive the HD800 is also impressive.

Dec 27, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #6,175 of 45,723
I haven't even tried my headphones on it yet. I'm going to go listen to my Th900s and my hd650s now.

Please do and report back.  I'm only at 80 hours or so mark.  Still a long way before the Balanced Break-in is complete.  I couldn't to wait for the 4.4 mm adapter so I made one from my Z1R's cable.  Now I can run all of my balanced headphones from the 1Z.

Dec 27, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #6,177 of 45,723
Nice. I'm jelly... Completely useless when it comes to diy.

Not that difficult actually.  How do you like the 1Z so far?  It is trailing the PHA-3 currently.

Dec 27, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #6,178 of 45,723
I really enjoy it. I haven't compared it to my Cowon S yet, which is my gold standard. Overall, I'm impressed with the sound. I've even managed to enjoy it in direct mode, which is something I've never been able to do with any other dap, ever. It sounds amazing in direct mode. I've logged ~70 hours so far.

You prefer the pha3?

If you wouldn't mind, please share the differences and what/why you prefer the pha3.

Dec 27, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #6,179 of 45,723
I really enjoy it. I haven't compared it to my Cowon S yet, which is my gold standard. Overall, I'm impressed with the sound. I've even managed to enjoy it in direct mode, which is something I've never been able to do with any other dap, ever. It sounds amazing in direct mode. I've logged ~70 hours so far.

You prefer the pha3?

So far, the PHA3 just has more enveloping soundstage that goes deeper and just as wide.  Bass also has a little more textured as well.  Still a long way before the 1Z will mature...has to give it the time to mature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back