SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 12, 2016 at 6:18 AM Post #5,566 of 45,723
YOu do realize that an SD card != memory chips on a motherboard or in an SSD, right? I can get a 256GB SD card - what is your point? More internal memory is better AND preferred.

I do agree that the 1Z is noticeably heavier as I pointed out, so for some it will be a dealbreaker.

My point is that memory is superdupercheap these days (and getting cheaper by the minute), so, yeah, for me it won't go a very long way in explaining a difference of almost 2000 bucks.

My unit has a slot, I pop in a 256 GB card, end of story. My music collection is huge and always growing; I'll never be able to fit everything into a portable device (well, not for some time, at least), and I'll always update and swap files, it's actually part of the fun for me. Sure, more internal memory is preferable, but to which price?

Dec 12, 2016 at 6:52 AM Post #5,568 of 45,723
Heres my current setup. Wm1a and andro
dg2jd5.jpg

Dec 12, 2016 at 7:01 AM Post #5,569 of 45,723

Like with the ZX1, I have never really found out why the cover artwork of any ripped CDs won’t be displayed.

Depends on what program you use to rip CDs.
If you use Media Go, it will most certainly work - the program will even fetch covers automatically. If it doesn't find one just grab one and drop it in.

I use dbpowerAmp for accuRip and bit-perfect rips to flac

Dec 12, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #5,571 of 45,723

Hey guys. Can someone tell me the latest firmware version for the WM1A and how to update correctly? A link would be great. Thanks in advance!

Go to SONY webpage.
Choose Support.
Choose WM1A/Z.
Choose your OS your PC is using.
Download the Upgrade file.
Plug in WM1A/Z to PC via USB.
Double click on the downloaded file, follow the instructions and complete the update.

You can alzó update with mediaGo

Dec 12, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #5,576 of 45,723
  All that for a 320kbps mp3 :frowning2:

what's the problem?  I've obtained mp3s and aac files legally that are from a better master than the CD version. In fact with things like Mastered for iTunes the lossy compressed version are sometimes better than the lossless CD version because there is less dynamic compression and less clipping for the digital downloads than the master for the CD as they actually have a stricter guideline for master submission. 

The file format isn't the problem - it's what you get inside it that counts. Given a choice between an mp3 that is from a master that is mixed correctly or a CD that's mixed hot and dynamically compressed, I'll take the mp3 in a heart beat rather than the lossless version. 

Dec 12, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #5,577 of 45,723
I have got NW-WM1A and Westone W80 today. Listening to them through TRRS single ended Moon audio Black Dragon IEM cable. I have ZX2 and Westone W60 to compare.
And waiting for Kumitate Labs 4.4mm 5pole Balanced Silver Plated OFC Licht cable. Lots of comparisons to do.

:)

Dec 12, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #5,579 of 45,723
I have got NW-WM1A and Westone W80 today. Listening to them through TRRS single ended Moon audio Black Dragon IEM cable. I have ZX2 and Westone W60 to compare.
And waiting for Kumitate Labs 4.4mm 5pole Balanced Silver Plated OFC Licht cable. Lots of comparisons to do.

smily_headphones1.gif

I'd like to see a photo or two of Kumitate Lab's Licht cable with the new 4.4mm plug.
Are you getting the right-angle one or straight plug? They offered the straight plug in the beginning, but I noticed that they had removed it from the options. Thanks... 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back