SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 6, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #3,916 of 45,723
It's early days yet. But similar sonics. At this early stage, AK380CU seems to have wider soundstage and more air. But as I always maintain, that's typical of AK DAPs. But the flip side is it's thinner sounding. Whereas the 1Z sounds a tad denser and deeper.

Of course, it's only been a few hours in. :) Aso take it with a pinch of salt.

If the Q is whether one is going away: I don't think so. Sufficiently different to me. Besides, the 1Z's battery life means it will likely follow me on my travels.

Kiat, thanks for the early comparison on the two, please keep it coming as I value impression from someone that has owned the Cu for awhile and knows it's sound characteristic. I will most likely pick up the 1Z also soon. I also wonder did you try to use different phone to change the sound slightly? For instance, I have both the Vega and Andro, one is thicker sounding and the other is thinner. So if you pair the Andro with the 1z and the Vega with the cu, will that bring that aspect closer together? I listened to the Utopia a month ago when I was in HK with my CU, it is ok but I can see clearly it needs more power, I am just curious can the 1Z drives the Utopia to it decent potential? How about the Fibass, will the 1Z provide warmer and thicker sound to the Fibass?

Nov 6, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #3,918 of 45,723
You still don't get it...your LPG is everything behind on technology for portable device compare to 1Z and even 1A.

1/ Class A efficiency is poop compare to class D
2/ LPG had never had "BALANCED" for Christ sake
3/ LPG has no digital Out
4/ LPG has less play time in comparison to WM series, and it is fact....

So, I am sorry, but according to Facts check, you should sell your LPG and move on to 1A if you can't afford 1Z. It is everything better.

I agree with the above points, they are all true. But I can tell you I am still resisting urges to pick up a LPG. I think it is one of a kind dap in that it has the most power (500 mah/ch) and solid built.

Nov 6, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #3,920 of 45,723
  Both models.  0.94 for the z and 0.92 for the A.  The 0.02 difference is more or less negligible.

We're audiophiles... Nothing is negligible!!!  
biggrin.gif

Nov 6, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #3,922 of 45,723
Nov 6, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #3,923 of 45,723
  If it makes you feel better you can chalk it up to me being a seriously lazy.  I'll measure again just to confirm for my final review.  Now I sleep.  
tongue.gif

Ha ha, obviously I was massively kidding! 
biggrin.gif

Nov 6, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #3,924 of 45,723
Nov 6, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #3,925 of 45,723
curious what's the ratio of 1z/1a buyers in here , so far (and in the coming weeks too)

looks like people are buying 1z (or is it because 1a has not been available yet?)

Nov 6, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #3,928 of 45,723
On the Sony UK website i can see the price of the gold Walkman but not really the availability and so.
I suppose is too early to find a place to get the non cap international version with English language.
Is there a way to know which has the cap and which doesn't without turning the unit on? Writing on the box or similar?
Probably i will buy one due to the great sound output and long battery life.Maybe Christmas is coming earlier this year:wink:
So just to clarify will there be firmware updates in the future? Thanks.

Nov 6, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #3,930 of 45,723
On the Sony UK website i can see the price of the gold Walkman but not really the availability and so.
I suppose is too early to find a place to get the non cap international version with English language.
Is there a way to know which has the cap and which doesn't without turning the unit on? Writing on the box or similar?
Probably i will buy one due to the great sound output and long battery life.Maybe Christmas is coming earlier this year:wink:
So just to clarify will there be firmware updates in the future? Thanks.

the european walkmans on the  left side have a CE logo, thats a sureway to confirm its euro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back