SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 11, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #1,457 of 45,723
  The A30 series is starting to look like a much better deal to me. It has the new HX Master amp that the WM series has.  Power listed as 35 mW per chanel, same resolution touchscreen as the WM series.  It even has DSD support if that floats your boat. Still excellent battery life, smaller internal memory but with Samsung releasing 256 GB microsd cards and 200 GB cards dropping in price no big deal anymore.

I think WM really means Waste of Money.  I am retiring to the land of common sense. Good luck with your purchases, I hope you don't regret it, I know I won't

As someone who owns both the A17 and the ZX100 I actually prefer the sound signature on the A17 to the ZX100.

I'd imagine the WM series will sound at most maybe 10% better than the A30.

It most likely won't be a night and day difference in sound quality.

I agree that the A30 is probably much better value than the WM series also whatever player you buy will be obsolete after 2 years that is why I wouldn't want to spend much more than about 500 Euro on a DAP.

Sep 11, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #1,461 of 45,723
Don't know what headphones did Mark2010 use with both players, I used a pair of XBA-A3 when I had both. I cannot attest for Z5 as these fore are my new babies still burn in

Sep 11, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #1,462 of 45,723
A30?????are you joking????:laughing:

WM-1Z are you freaking kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!!.  See I can do it to and still have money left over buy food and stuff.
blink.gif

Sep 11, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #1,464 of 45,723
WM-1Z are you freaking kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!!.  See I can do it to and still have money left over buy food and stuff.:blink:
you right about the "z" is very expensive, but, must be very good to, but Sony is not pointing a gun in your head for you to buy one , or is it? When i ask if that was a joke what i was thinking about the "A" version, now coming here on a hi-end tread talking about a A30 is like somebody talking about a Mercedes class S and somebody says that a classe A is better

Sep 11, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #1,465 of 45,723
Don't know what headphones did [@=/u/134312/Mark2010]@Mark2010[/@] use with both players, I used a pair of XBA-A3 when I had both. I cannot attest for Z5 as these fore are my new babies still burn in

The headphones I use most of the time are the Sennheiser MX500.
now I see, sennheiser "iBuds" mine are in-car triple driver perhaps that makes a difference in perceiving excuse me the redundancy differences

Sep 11, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #1,466 of 45,723
you right about the "z" is very expensive, but, must be very good to, but Sony is not pointing a gun in your head for you to buy one , or is it? When i ask if that was a joke what i was thinking about the "A" version, now coming here on a hi-end tread talking about a A30 is like somebody talking about a Mercedes class S and somebody says that a classe A is better

Well they both play HiRes audio formats, the A30 series is made of aluminum, same resolution touchscreen, same version of S-Master HX amp.  Both support DSD and both have the same version of bluetooth.

The A30 series and WM series are far similar than they are different, especially the 1A so to me the A30 has every right to be considered hi-end.  I never suggested the A series was better, but a better deal for the money, absolutely any day of the week.    

Sep 11, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #1,467 of 45,723
Well they both play HiRes audio formats, the A30 series is made of aluminum, same resolution touchscreen, same version of S-Master HX amp.  Both support DSD and both have the same version of bluetooth.

The A30 series and WM series are far similar than they are different, especially the 1A so to me the A30 has every right to be considered hi-end.  I never suggested the A series was better, but a better deal for the money, absolutely any day of the week.    

You are mistaken ... The A30 uses the older generation SMaster and has not balanced out....WM uses the newest SMaster

Sep 11, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #1,468 of 45,723
You are mistaken ... The A30 uses the older generation SMaster and has not balanced out....WM uses the newest SMaster

According to Sony page it features S-Master HX as well, but yes only single end afaik.
With the improved output looks like it may be a very good option.
Yaluen posted this helpful chart over in the A30 thread though obv I can't speak to it's accuracy:

No native DSD, seems that's only available on the NW-WM1A/Z.

Also the HP out is rated at 35mW for the new NW-A30 series :)

More info here: http://music-lifestyle.net/select_hr_walkman/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• OG10
Back