SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 14, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #14,477 of 45,723
Probably how Mac vs PC Show the amount (macs tell lies always show more )

Correct, when connected to my Mac it shows 393GB, but if I inquiry on the WM1Z I have 363

Screen Shot 2017-09-14 at 2.48.58 PM.png

Sep 14, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #14,478 of 45,723
Have anyone tried this Kimber Sony balanced cable with the WM1Z or WM1A?
Thanks
https://goo.gl/EzowP2

Sep 14, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #14,479 of 45,723
WM1A would be a better buy than ZX300 given its SQ, battery life, build quality and probably longer support due to shared parts with the 1Z.

A lot of assumptions here. You seem to know that the ZX300 will have inferior sound quality, build quality and battery life without ever personally seeing, touching or listening to a ZX300. And you know all this because? Because it is less expensive? The ZX300 could quite possibly sound better, be better constructed and have longer run time. Best to wait until you have actual experience before steering others.

Sep 14, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #14,480 of 45,723
A lot of assumptions here. You seem to know that the ZX300 will have inferior sound quality, build quality and battery life without ever personally seeing, touching or listening to a ZX300. And you know all this because? Because it is less expensive? The ZX300 could quite possibly sound better, be better constructed and have longer run time. Best to wait until you have actual experience before steering others.

Have already tried the ZX300A in one the Sony hearing events. I like it a lot actually. Sort of spiced up a bit, like the A-series Walkman. Less reference than 1A. I already have an F-series Walkman for that kind of sound(Of course ZX300A is not nearly as "spiced up" as that). As for the 1A, I already have the PCM-D100 for that kind of signature and also doubles as field microphone.

I did say ZX300 has the same S-Master chip just below that line and tried to justify ZX300 as well. I apologize if I "steered" into the more expensive 1A purchase too much for your taste.

I personally bought the 1Z eventually due to larger internal storage and better pairing with MDR-EX1000. If you don't have needs for that, ZX300 can easily fit 200+GB of songs and still offer 200mW per channel output in balanced out. Pretty neat if you ask me.

IMO a lot of things in this hobby is about feeling and how you personally enjoy things instead of measurements or "the correct sound". If I'm really dying for the "correct sound" I'll be playing my piano all the time, but alas, neither have the time nor would that really be the "correct sound" all the time, given physical limitations of my room and my own pianism's limitations.

Nothing gives you that magic of listening to your favourite music on the go again, whether that be a Walkman or an iPod. I guess we've just been on the chase ever since. :triportsad:

By the way I think the F-series Walkmans are great. Very cheap now and has a great kick to its sound when playing pop songs. Love listening to 80s rock on those.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #14,481 of 45,723
almost 1 month in and i am very pleased with my WM1A , it's definitely a sonic improvement over ZX2 (which i owned before)

i also get very nice synergy with both my CIEMs (Zeus XR and NT6)

have been listening to SE all this time but i am very eager to try the balanced circuit, so two 4.4 cables are on the way

and no upgraditis urge so far for 1Z (which is out of my budget anyway)

Sep 14, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #14,483 of 45,723
Sep 14, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #14,485 of 45,723
Damn...made in Japan ...would last forever....shame that 1Z is not even made in Japan :frowning2:
I donno but signature series quality control looks good.

Even staying next to or go to the Made in country, price do not get cheaper...

Think Sony don't want some of their important technology to leak in China for people to copy.

Sep 14, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #14,486 of 45,723
Help! Having problems with my remote, the instructions are not in English.
What do you need?

I think holding on to '-' button will give you pairing mode if i remember correctly.

Sep 14, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #14,487 of 45,723
almost 1 month in and i am very pleased with my WM1A , it's definitely a sonic improvement over ZX2 (which i owned before)

i also get very nice synergy with both my CIEMs (Zeus XR and NT6)

have been listening to SE all this time but i am very eager to try the balanced circuit, so two 4.4 cables are on the way

and no upgraditis urge so far for 1Z (which is out of my budget anyway)

I was not enjoying Sony NW-WM1A until I went balanced. I have balanced Surf Cables in Sony 4.4mm termination for Audioquest Nighthawk headphones, Shure SRH1540s, and Shure SE846s. My Diana has been sitting, because I love the Sony's liquid, organic sound. Single ended sucks; barely better than an iPod. Give the balanced amp 150 to 200 hours of burn in and you will love it; especially 96khz/24 bit. My Shure SE846s are actually using ALO Reference 8 balanced cables.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #14,489 of 45,723
Probably how Mac vs PC Show the amount (macs tell lies always show more )

It's all relative. Both Sandisk and Mac use base 10 so it will show "larger" capacity but each file will also appear larger compared to base 2 which shows less capacity, but also the files are smaller. You will get exactly the same number of files stored regardless of which method is used since the physical number of bits is fixed. If you really want to play with capacity, you will definitely get real differences with the various levels of FLAC compression or ALAC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back