SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 28, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #10,846 of 45,723
Ahhh wonder what the reasoning is for that.. is there any downside to using line out through the headphone port?

Lol...common, I have been reporting that headphones out as line out is excellent on the WM1Z....the line out on WM port were eliminated due to the noises that prone to be the problems

Mar 28, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #10,849 of 45,723
Well sweet.. I guess I can have a perfectly reasonable balanced line out after all. My hope is for most everything be able to be powered just fine from just the dap (including the hd800s).

Mar 28, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #10,850 of 45,723
Well sweet.. I guess I can have a perfectly reasonable balanced line out after all. My hope is for most everything be able to be powered just fine from just the dap (including the hd800s).

Purk reported that Hd800 was driven to a good level with WM1Z from Balanced out. My WM1Z at H-gain and maxed 120/120 volume into my Stax system is well powered. I only needed 15% of my amplifier to be jamming and slamming :D

Mar 28, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #10,853 of 45,723
Sound quality on my WM1A is still improving after 200hrs. I played music with high grain enable all the time up until last night. After 240hrs, vocal from singers were too bright and a bit too sibilant for me. So I try low gain and I'm surprised how good with this setting is now. Smooth, airy, and more extend on both low and high. Everything seem more analog and natural.

Mar 28, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #10,854 of 45,723
Sound quality on my WM1A is still improving after 200hrs. I played music with high grain enable all the time up until last night. After 240hrs, vocal from singers were too bright and a bit too sibilant for me. So I try low gain and I'm surprised how good with this setting is now. Smooth, airy, and more extend on both low and high. Everything seem more analog and natural.

I was planning on just keeping everything high gain all the time, but perhaps not if the sound quality noticeably changes depending. By the way the one I received is the tourist edition and looks beautiful. I was going to exercise at the gym but this unit is so heavy I might just pick it up and put it down over and over for my workout

Mar 28, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #10,855 of 45,723

I was planning on just keeping everything high gain all the time, but perhaps not if the sound quality noticeably changes depending. By the way the one I received is the tourist edition and looks beautiful. I was going to exercise at the gym but this unit is so heavy I might just pick it up and put it down over and over for my workout
gain does not change t he SQ

Mar 28, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #10,857 of 45,723
gain does not change t he SQ

While I would venture a guess the sound signature does not change, I think this depends on your personal criteria for SQ, and thus should IMO not be stated as fact.  What if you have a very sensitive driver and the extra gain causes the noise floor to raise to audible levels, and having a dead silent background is your thing?  SQ still not affected?  Food for thought, I guess.

Mar 28, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #10,858 of 45,723
While I would venture a guess the sound signature does not change, I think this depends on your personal criteria for SQ, and thus should IMO not be stated as fact.  What if you have a very sensitive driver and the extra gain causes the noise floor to raise to audible levels, and having a dead silent background is your thing?  SQ still not affected?  Food for thought, I guess.
Well in the case of the 1Z there is no noise floor to hear. It's extraordinarily quiet. The listening device doesn't change that. The device could clamp or distort but that isn't the DAP causing the sonic change.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Mar 28, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #10,859 of 45,723
Well in the case of the 1Z there is no noise floor to hear. It's extraordinarily quiet. The listening device doesn't change that. The device could clamp or distort but that isn't the DAP causing the sonic change.

Just got my 1Z and Jason is correct. I have never heard a dap with zero distortion or background noise whatsoever (I am super sensitive to hearing that sort of thing).. I have owned and listened to many many daps and my old AK380 had a faint static sound when turning the volume very low - you could certainly hear a faint static sound from a sensitive IEM. The 1Z is already making me happy with just that fact because it was a huge pet peeve of mine.. regardless of being able to hear this low noise distortion during music or not.

I will say that changing from PCM to DSD and vice versa does provide an audible click sound which some of you have brought up before.. My old DAC used to do that so I am sort of used to it. As long as during actual music playback the background is dead quiet at all volumes then I am a super happy man.

Mar 28, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #10,860 of 45,723
The noise floor was just an example; I'm not arguing the 1Z is not extraordinarily quiet, or that it is not completely dead silent--it very well could be.  I have no idea, and it doesn't really have any bearing on my point, which is that SQ changes are a subjective thing, not quantitatively defined.  There could be many aspects of engaging HG mode that a person may feel detracts from their listening experience, or the perceived SQ they are hearing from the device while paired with whatever they are using with it.  Case in point, I personally don't like using HG; it seems to my ears that it presents the sound more forcefully, and not as relaxed as without it, which I much prefer.  Ergo, the quality of the sound that is hitting my ears, subjectively, suffers for me when I engage the HG mode.  Make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back