SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 3, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #5,281 of 45,723
just ordered the Sony NW-WM1A, will be my first sony walkman after the K7 one !!! long time ago. I should get it in more than a week !!! 
About the balanced cable, where can we get one and when?

Dec 3, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #5,282 of 45,723
They will continue to improve until 450 hours or so. Single-ended will not do it justice, seriously and literally. At least do yourself a favor and buy TRRS 3.5 cables, or wait until you can find the 4.4mm balanced.

was looking for balanced info on this thread and saw this post. What does it mean ? That the 3.5 outuput is also balanced ? and working with a 3.5 balanced cable like one for Hifiman?

Dec 3, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #5,283 of 45,723
was looking for balanced info on this thread and saw this post. What does it mean ? That the 3.5 outuput is also balanced ? and working with a 3.5 balanced cable like one for Hifiman?

It is Separated grounding, and it works with Hifiman-man balanced cables style, yes. True balanced is the 4.4mm

Dec 3, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #5,284 of 45,723
ok so why do you recomend to use this kind of cable ? Because separated grounding is better for sound quality of the DAP? 

Dec 3, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #5,286 of 45,723
Just bought my andro. Will post thoughts after listening it with my wm1a

spg4le.jpg

I am also interested in these, please post everything when ready.

Dec 3, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #5,287 of 45,723
1.Whats is the real hardware difference between Z and A? So far what I have read shows it has following

Chassis: Z > Gold plated copper, A > Aluminum
Few caps
Headphone out: Z > Kimber wiring, A > OFC Copper wiring

any other differences?

Any real world comparison between Z vs A?

Because it boils down to the fact whether value of additional 2000$ translates into worthy performance?

2. Any comparison between ZX2 and A?

ZX2 has additional capabilities of internet ready for streaming services. Its android with capabilities to support other music apps. It has small form factor. But if A beats ZX2 hands down I guess A would be the sweet spot in these players for many of us.

Dec 3, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #5,288 of 45,723
1.Whats is the real hardware difference between Z and A? So far what I have read shows it has following

Chassis: Z > Gold plated copper, A > Aluminum
Few caps
Headphone out: Z > Kimber wiring, A > OFC Copper wiring

any other differences?

Any real world comparison between Z vs A?

Because it boils down to the fact whether value of additional 2000$ translates into worthy performance?

2. Any comparison between ZX2 and A?

ZX2 has additional capabilities of internet ready for streaming services. Its android with capabilities to support other music apps. It has small form factor. But if A beats ZX2 hands down I guess A would be the sweet spot in these players for many of us.

The A beats the zx2 hands down!
No comparison

Dec 4, 2016 at 4:26 AM Post #5,293 of 45,723
Inwonder when those dignis case for wm would be released

Very soon as they replied on twitter yesterday.

and they just uploaded the photo of red and brown case with packing box.

https://twitter.com/dignis_jp/status/804606294820671488?s=09

That's a very nice leather case.Hope they will be available around the globe not like the one for Lotoo Paw Gold which was pretty limited.

Dec 4, 2016 at 7:05 AM Post #5,294 of 45,723
More like 450 hours
biggrin.gif
, and for God sake....these Sony isn't at it best with 3.5 Single ended.....use
1/ TRRS
2/ 4.4mm balanced

Update: WM1A (firmware 1.02) ->Whiplash TWag V3  TRRS (3.5mm)-> K10U
- 450 hours: I thought it was pretty good, and was thinking there would be no further changes.  Some songs were musical and involving.  i.e. You stop what you are doing, and just pay attention.  Involuntarily.  I figured that the songs that were not so involving had faults in the recording/mixing process.  But all in all, the setup was producing music that I was enjoying.  There was something missing, though, as I thought the ZX2 had the ability to make guitar and piano so rich with details, that a simple guitar/piano melody was able to communicate something that pulled you into the music and made you forget whatever else you were doing.  And the ZX2 was doing this on most music, more so than the 1A at the moment.

-550 hours: This seems to be a magical point, as what I thought was missing at 450 hours, seems to all pull together at 550 hours.  The richness/involvement that I was looking for with guitar is now there.  As good as the ZX2, but with more detail and sound stage.  A well recorded Chinese singer (Tong Li) that I thought was good on the ZX2, but was actually getting bored with, on the 1A, the instruments and voice were like I was hearing them for the first time, and realized how good they were.  And not boring!  Barbara Streisand singing Memories, I was enjoying, and realized just how good she was.  Never did before.  I thought she was overrated, when I listened before, and wondered what people saw in her.

So other users can keep an ear out for the 550 hour mark, to see if they corrobate the same findings.  And don't judge the 1A prematurely.  
My evaluation method, I am not doing any detailed comparisons of specific pieces of music.   I am just listening whenever I get the chance, which is mostly when commuting to/from work.  And I am consciously not listening critically to specific sections of specific tracks, but just listening to music as it comes up.  Not very scientific, and very subjective, but that's what I've decided to do nowadays.  If the setup serves up music I enjoy, I am happy. 

Note: I also reterminated the TRRS 3.5mm with a new Nakamura plug, just after I got the 1A, as the old TRRS plug was starting to short out, so that is another factor.  Other than that, the K10/Whiplash cable is the same that I was using on the ZX2, so any differences I observe, should be due to the change from ZX2 to WM1A

Dec 4, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #5,295 of 45,723
Update: WM1A (firmware 1.02) ->Whiplash TWag V3  TRRS (3.5mm)-> K10U
- 450 hours: I thought it was pretty good, and was thinking there would be no further changes.  Some songs were musical and involving.  i.e. You stop what you are doing, and just pay attention.  Involuntarily.  I figured that the songs that were not so involving had faults in the recording/mixing process.  But all in all, the setup was producing music that I was enjoying.  There was something missing, though, as I thought the ZX2 had the ability to make guitar and piano so rich with details, that a simple guitar/piano melody was able to communicate something that pulled you into the music and made you forget whatever else you were doing.  And the ZX2 was doing this on most music, more so than the 1A at the moment.

-550 hours: This seems to be a magical point, as what I thought was missing at 450 hours, seems to all pull together at 550 hours.  The richness/involvement that I was looking for with guitar is now there.  As good as the ZX2, but with more detail and sound stage.  A well recorded Chinese singer (Tong Li) that I thought was good on the ZX2, but was actually getting bored with, on the 1A, the instruments and voice were like I was hearing them for the first time, and realized how good they were.  And not boring!  Barbara Streisand singing Memories, I was enjoying, and realized just how good she was.  Never did before.  I thought she was overrated, when I listened before, and wondered what people saw in her.

So other users can keep an ear out for the 550 hour mark, to see if they corrobate the same findings.  And don't judge the 1A prematurely.  
My evaluation method, I am not doing any detailed comparisons of specific pieces of music.   I am just listening whenever I get the chance, which is mostly when commuting to/from work.  And I am consciously not listening critically to specific sections of specific tracks, but just listening to music as it comes up.  Not very scientific, and very subjective, but that's what I've decided to do nowadays.  If the setup serves up music I enjoy, I am happy. 

Note: I also reterminated the TRRS 3.5mm with a new Nakamura plug, just after I got the 1A, as the old TRRS plug was starting to short out, so that is another factor.  Other than that, the K10/Whiplash cable is the same that I was using on the ZX2, so any differences I observe, should be due to the change from ZX2 to WM1A

Exactly what I had been saying for a while...500 hours...in this case 550 hours lol. Good observation and confirmations, thanks you. Also, I am damn glad that you are testing and observing with TRRS....so tired of people doing it on 3.5mm SE and called it out to be this bad and that not good....

4.4mm Balanced should be another awesome feature that the 1A offer. Wm1A IS TREMENDOUS in value

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back