SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 25, 2020 at 11:06 PM Post #41,701 of 45,723
Does anyone really wish the WM1Z had USB-C over the Walkman port? Is the Walkman port decent at least? Are you tempted to buy the ZX507?

It would be nice to have a 1Z or 1A with an USB-C port. However, I never had any issues with the Walkman port either. You just need to make sure you have the cable with you if you're gonna leave the country or anything like that.

I own the 1A, and before buying it, I was considering the ZX507. However, at that time I also had the FiiO M11 Pro, and there was nothing special related to the battery or to the Android OS it was using. I actually ordered the ZX507, but Amazon Germany didn't ship the device in almost 2 days, and I changed my mind in the meanwhile, cancelled the order, and ordered the 1A from Amazon.com. I didn't exactly know how the regions thing works, but I knew I didn't want to have to deal with it.

I decided against buying the ZX507, as the 1A and 1Z have the Bluetooth Receiver function. If I really wanted to stream music, I could just send it via Bluetooth from my phone. Plus, I would get to have an awesome battery life, and an awesome looking device.

Edit: I'm pretty sure the WM Port could be removed and an USB-C port added instead (thinking about the port's pinout). It's not something impossible, though I'm not sure anyone tried it. We used other ports than USB-C before. It was never a problem for me, though USB-C is more convenient, for sure.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2020 at 11:11 PM Post #41,702 of 45,723
Does anyone really wish the WM1Z had a USB-C port over the Walkman port? Is the Walkman port a decent quality port at least? As in much better than micro USB? Are you at all tempted to buy the ZX507? Or does the WM1Z just sound so good it hardly matters?
Not tempted. Standard cable is plenty good

Jul 25, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #41,703 of 45,723
Not tempted. Standard cable is plenty good
Yeah I have no issues with the wm port either. However it’s a good idea to keep a spare cable with you as it’s inexpensive as well.

Jul 25, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #41,704 of 45,723
Yeah I have no issues with the wm port either. However it’s a good idea to keep a spare cable with you as it’s inexpensive as well.
Yup. One for home and one for on the go. Makes it easier

Jul 25, 2020 at 11:46 PM Post #41,705 of 45,723
Does anyone really wish the WM1Z had a USB-C port over the Walkman port? Is the Walkman port a decent quality port at least? As in much better than micro USB? Are you at all tempted to buy the ZX507? Or does the WM1Z just sound so good it hardly matters?

No but it’s amazing how much people spend on cables? Lol
https://www.moon-audio.com/sony-nw-...audio-iem-and-silver-dragon-cable-bundle.html
12802762-1EAB-4635-AA25-7EA0ADC8ACF5.png
92F89092-1D55-4104-8D71-ECAFC27C9852.jpeg

Jul 25, 2020 at 11:48 PM Post #41,706 of 45,723
Jul 25, 2020 at 11:50 PM Post #41,707 of 45,723
Jul 25, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #41,708 of 45,723
Ouch!! Even the Kimber Kable wasn’t that much!

I think it's a bundle of the 1Z plus those IEMs and that cable.

You can see specs of the DAP down in the page.

Jul 26, 2020 at 12:29 AM Post #41,711 of 45,723
Jul 26, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #41,712 of 45,723
Kimber Axios Silver is $4,499

that bundle from moon audio is cheap!! Does that mean 1Z new can be purchased at $1500 ? Lol
I just checked because the title didn't mention which iem. The price that you see now is actually only for 1Z and Silver Dragon, choosing the iem from the list will increase the price to at least 1000 more

Jul 26, 2020 at 1:19 AM Post #41,713 of 45,723
I wonder... Does the super-expensive cable plays really better than cheaper stock cable? I doubt. In many cases it's a placebo effect or psychosomatic deceiving. I've bought Oriveti Afinity SE cable and it sounds a little better than stock Andromeda Litz. 5% better IMO. For 300 bucks quality increase is unprofitable.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2020 at 1:32 AM Post #41,714 of 45,723
I wonder... Does the super-expensive cable plays really better than cheaper stock cable? I doubt. In many cases it's a placebo effect or psychosomatic deceiving. I've bought Oriveti Afinity SE cable and it sounds a little better than stock Andromeda Litz. 5% better IMO. For 300 bucks quality increase is unprofitable.
I will not describe anything as placebo easily. Cable does play a role of sound tuning and provide a more comfortable wearing in my experience. Whether it worths the price, it is simply upto ability and the amount that a buyer willing to pay for the final piece of sound improvement.

Jul 26, 2020 at 1:34 AM Post #41,715 of 45,723

It’s kind of a situation by situation choice. I’m not sure about currently, but in the past there has been huge threads comparing cables. Some folks even choose the cable first and IEM second to go with the music they think they are optimizing. :)

But in measurements IEM cables do actually offer difference electronic resistance. Also even whole groups with different DAPs and different IEMs will at some point agree on a tone character for a particular cable.

So in general people will agree on different traits from a 4 wire or 8 wire cable, gold and silver mixtures will sound brighter at times and OFC or OCC cables are known to make differences. Some people hear them, and whole groups will agree on traits. Though typically these purchases are either as insurance to make sure your doing it right, or to try and use a cable to dial in a particular sound.

It’s nothing worth anyone getting emotional about really. Some people hear a difference and some don’t. Probably the biggest success in our group here has been the addition of both Kimber and AXIOS cables making a special noticeable improvement on full size headphones.

Though it could be said that the area is at the level of fractions of improvement per $100 spent, still some focus and believe in the success and reality of the added improvement.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back