SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 18, 2020 at 5:03 AM Post #41,026 of 45,723
I just want to put a few things straight as it becomes to be a little free for all frenzy with opinions. In fact I was worried a few folks would go to the extreme and start set trash cans on fire lmao

Of course when folks hear statements like oh ss 1a is better then 1z with new fw. !

Listen, here is the statement 1z is a warm sounding dap with a lush and seductive sound presentation. 1z was built by sony to represent what sony loves as sound signature! Period !

1a os a different philosophy and people should stop fooling them selfs with the idea of more expensive means better. Also folks should stop comparing 1a vs 1z!
This is 2 different dap and the idea behind each was very different from the start!

1a is the neutral natural sound, more balanced more precise and oriented to be as the artist's meant it to be heard! A life like sound!

Now modified daps is not a waste of money so wrong thinking that way to! There is many mods and many ways to configure how a dap can sound!

People make huge claims but never really experienced the real thing on their skin and simply take judgments from what they read...
Mods exist for a reason and they do change how your dap will sound!

I guess those judgments are made because Mr.Tiger Ears is not hyping hes romi/1z?
Well wait till tomorrow I am gonna make you a mega hype of a train and you all gonna run and mode your dpas lmao

Folks stay cold blooded their is an option for each user. So everyone can be comfortable in what ever they decide to do!

Fw mod
Hardware mode
Or stay stock
There is an option for everyone!

This was Tiger Ears I am signing off now time to sleep

Jul 18, 2020 at 5:05 AM Post #41,027 of 45,723
Even when the 1A sounds better, I’ll keep the 1Z. I’m realizing how hard it is for most people to obtain such a player that it’s better to appreciate it for what it is and what it CAN be after software mods. If there’s a way to make it sound better than the DMP-Z1, I’ll be all over there bandwagon and listen to music all day

LoL no one has a dmp on hands so we will never know!

Jul 18, 2020 at 5:10 AM Post #41,028 of 45,723
Jul 18, 2020 at 5:14 AM Post #41,029 of 45,723
I just want to put a few things straight as it becomes to be a little free for all frenzy with opinions. In fact I was worried a few folks would go to the extreme and start set trash cans on fire lmao

Of course when folks hear statements like oh ss 1a is better then 1z with new fw. !

Listen, here is the statement 1z is a warm sounding dap with a lush and seductive sound presentation. 1z was built by sony to represent what sony loves as sound signature! Period !

1a os a different philosophy and people should stop fooling them selfs with the idea of more expensive means better. Also folks should stop comparing 1a vs 1z!
This is 2 different dap and the idea behind each was very different from the start!

1a is the neutral natural sound, more balanced more precise and oriented to be as the artist's meant it to be heard! A life like sound!

Now modified daps is not a waste of money so wrong thinking that way to! There is many mods and many ways to configure how a dap can sound!

People make huge claims but never really experienced the real thing on their skin and simply take judgments from what they read...
Mods exist for a reason and they do change how your dap will sound!

I guess those judgments are made because Mr.Tiger Ears is not hyping hes romi/1z?
Well wait till tomorrow I am gonna make you a mega hype of a train and you all gonna run and mode your dpas lmao

Folks stay cold blooded their is an option for each user. So everyone can be comfortable in what ever they decide to do!

Fw mod
Hardware mode
Or stay stock
There is an option for everyone!

This was Tiger Ears I am signing off now time to sleep

And you have the 1A “plus” switcher on both your 1Z players. Which is crazy as before I never would have thought someone would like that combo reading it on paper. But as you rate your players you go... from best to less best.

1) Modded 1Z

2) Stock 1A

3) Stock 1Z

My question is what firmware on your 1A stock to beat out the 1Z stock?

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 5:37 AM Post #41,030 of 45,723
And you have the 1A “plus” switcher on both your 1Z players. Which is crazy as before I never would have thought someone would like that combo reading it on paper. But as you rate your players you go... from best to less best.

1) Modded 1Z

2) Stock 1A

3) Stock 1Z

My question is what firmware on your 1A stock to beat out the 1Z stock?

I rate my romi above both and I rate 1a+ second because I think it offers a proper tonal balance like it is tuned to be a reference precision detail retrieval machine!
1z on other hand is built for pleasures for people who love warm thick bassy sound.

Why did I load 1a+ fw into 1z? Because I really like the hybrid sound presentation! It brings 1z into a more tonal balance, it makes the bass more tight and faster decay! Over all it reduces the thickness of the 1z signature and brings it into a new natural warmish pleasant tone.

There is compromise! 1a has the edge on details retrieval ! No matter what fw you load on 1a. It is its nature because or the components that sony has put into it...

On the other hand 1a is not warm and ass thick sounding as 1z. It can be thinner in vocals while 1z can offer that nice throaty timbral vibrancy in voices!

Also 1z bass is very long decay and not as speedy. Overall 1z sound presentation is slower and more relaxed vs 1a. This is where I prefer 1a speed and quick agile velocity response! And it is amazing that installing 1a+ fw onto 1z brings that speed to 1z!!!

It is the reason why I load 1a+ into 1z dap! I even did the same for my romi!
-I like the speedier sound
-Tighter bass
-More balanced sound
-Less thick and less warm, becomes very natural not analytical
-it exchanges 1z warmth for slightly more clarity and cleanness in general.

There is that as a start point why I like 1z with 1a+ fw....

Jul 18, 2020 at 5:48 AM Post #41,031 of 45,723
I rate my romi above both and I rate 1a+ second because I think it offers a proper tonal balance like it is tuned to be a reference precision detail retrieval machine!
1z on other hand is built for pleasures for people who love warm thick bassy sound.

Why did I load 1a+ fw into 1z? Because I really like the hybrid sound presentation! It brings 1z into a more tonal balance, it makes the bass more tight and faster decay! Over all it reduces the thickness of the 1z signature and brings it into a new natural warmish pleasant tone.

There is compromise! 1a has the edge on details retrieval ! No matter what fw you load on 1a. It is its nature because or the components that sony has put into it...

On the other hand 1a is not warm and ass thick sounding as 1z. It can be thinner in vocals while 1z can offer that nice throaty timbral vibrancy in voices!

Also 1z bass is very long decay and not as speedy. Overall 1z sound presentation is slower and more relaxed vs 1a. This is where I prefer 1a speed and quick agile velocity response! And it is amazing that installing 1a+ fw onto 1z brings that speed to 1z!!!

It is the reason why I load 1a+ into 1z dap! I even did the same for my romi!
-I like the speedier sound
-Tighter bass
-More balanced sound
-Less thick and less warm, becomes very natural not analytical
-it exchanges 1z warmth for slightly more clarity and cleanness in general.

There is that as a start point why I like 1z with 1a+ fw....

Your 1A has 1A”plus” as firmware?

Jul 18, 2020 at 5:54 AM Post #41,033 of 45,723
i am wondering what will the next FW update bring, if there's a planned FW release from sonys part
The only real thing I can think of would be to expand the regions that can use the remote control (of course assuming that a fair few people have 1A/Z who have never visited forums / the rockbox page and are still none the wiser)

Jul 18, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #41,034 of 45,723
No. And I may? I’m typically very slow at this process? I mean that’s what is happening, people are going to subjectively lean towards a tone as it caters to their desired sound signature as well as joins-up with the IEM they are using. As much as we try to unilaterally gain absolute ideas, it never works in the end as this game is subjective to a fault.

Though I do have questions and have gained ideas about people using the switcher to put Sony 1A firmware on their 1Z, modded 1Z and of course 1A”plus”. There are now many windows of opportunity if you think about it.

There are no rules except the listening test. Preconceived notions get dropped and these players take on their own happenstance end-results unexpectedly.

That’s the surprise of it all.

Obviously my test so far is not apples to apples. But the general relevance is folks may not want to get a 1Z, if the 1A sounds this good. God knows at just under 700 hours my 1A has sat unused much. But now, it’s special. If the 1Z would also do this jump is yet to be seen. Though our results may be due to the general personality of these players regardless of firmware used. Meaning that the positive results with our 1A now are maybe a direct result of it’s tone?

The soundstage is amazing with the 1A now? If that soundstage gets pulled over to the 1Z chassis is yet to be seen. It actually could be better? Time will tell. And if I don’t do it someone will eventually.

Edit: I assume your not talking about a physically modded 1Z? Your speaking of the “plus” firmware?
Yes, just talking about the firmware ++mod applied not hardware or switcher. If it’s so good applied to a sstock 1a , I’m wondering if there’s any hidden potential to be unleashed with a stock 1z 🙂 using just the +mod.

Jul 18, 2020 at 6:48 AM Post #41,035 of 45,723
i am wondering what will the next FW update bring, if there's a planned FW release from sonys part
It depends on how they view these mods - if they see them as a positive thing that has generated so much interest and perhaps renewed value for their 4 year old devices, or a threat and breach of user rights, then they may want to patch but will have to throw us a bone. If they added some official sound/tuning profile options they may have a chance to get people to update, otherwise it would probably been seen as devaluing the device should anyone sell on in the future.
If it's true that they held back the WM1A's sound to make the WM1Z sound better they had better do something spectacular if the initial talk of this latest tweak for the WM1A is anything to go by.

Jul 18, 2020 at 7:11 AM Post #41,036 of 45,723
It depends on how they view these mods - if they see them as a positive thing that has generated so much interest and perhaps renewed value for their 4 year old devices, or a threat and breach of user rights, then they may want to patch but will have to throw us a bone. If they added some official sound/tuning profile options they may have a chance to get people to update, otherwise it would probably been seen as devaluing the device should anyone sell on in the future.
If it's true that they held back the WM1A's sound to make the WM1Z sound better they had better do something spectacular if the initial talk of this latest tweak for the WM1A is anything to go by.
Make no mistake about it, they definitely held back the 1A by a huge margin software wise. This has been proven so many times here and with this new method, the evidence is in your face! The 1A is indeed capable of so so much more. Insanely more. And I’m talking without any hardware mods whatsoever.

Jul 18, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #41,037 of 45,723
Yes, just talking about the firmware ++mod applied not hardware or switcher. If it’s so good applied to a sstock 1a , I’m wondering if there’s any hidden potential to be unleashed with a stock 1z 🙂 using just the +mod.

No, I’ve only done choice #1. As listed below plus final Proprietary 3.02 at the end after a restart. Probably never going to change for the rest of my ownership period with the 1A. It could vary well change the 1Z? I may change the 1Z, but I’m pretty close to it just the way it is.

1A5DE71E-63AE-4CD8-BFCF-BA93E8C5C681.png

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #41,039 of 45,723
The only real thing I can think of would be to expand the regions that can use the remote control (of course assuming that a fair few people have 1A/Z who have never visited forums / the rockbox page and are still none the wiser)

Likely Sony will bring in improvements to the DSP, DSEE HX AI etc. and the general way the DAP's process sound. The BT remote isn't really on the table as Sony only sells it in specific regions, even then hardly popular.

Q-6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back