SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2020 at 1:35 AM Post #38,581 of 45,723
Allow me to introduce, the...

NW Model Switcher

What is this?

NW Model Switcher is a Windows CMD script that allows changing the model
of your player, working together with the Rockbox destination changing tool.

The main idea was to get the stock 1Z sound signature to the 1A. The process
is safe and easily reversible. In the case of a WM1A to WM1Z change, you could
apply tunings for a 1Z, exactly like you own a 1Z instead of a 1A.

To fellow sound tuning creators

The sound tunings are applied via the Software Update tool from Sony. If someone
has a WM1A, a WM1A code always has to be in the update files, not really allowing
you to get a pure stock WM1Z sound.

Changing the model of a WM1A to WM1Z, for example, will allow us to skip the WM1A
tuning lines, and use only WM1Z lines.

A WM1A Universal would normally require a WM1A 00000000 line. After changing the model,
WM1A 00000000 will not work anymore, and you have to use WM1Z 00000000.

Also, after experimenting with this, it seems that the model of the device matters when the
Software Update applies the tuning. If you have a stock WM1A, and switch to WM1Z, it is not
enough. You will also have to reapply the stock tuning, and only then the change is noticed in
the audio - this is because when flashing the stock as WM1Z as opposed to WM1A, the tuning
will be sent different to the device.

The tool can be found here (click).

It should be simple, you'll only have to unpack the archive and launch (double-click) the
"nw_model_switcher_1.2" file. There is a menu set in the script, so everything should be
pretty straightforward.

After changing the model, you will have to restart the player and apply the stock firmware.
The stock firmware for the WM1A/Z can be found here (click).

However, don't hesitate to ask any questions that may arise and feel free to experiment.
And I hope there are not errors I didn't notice or anything, took me long enough to try and
iron everything out, lol.

I also invite WM1A users who will change the model to WM1Z, to try the sound tuning
that can be found here (click). :wink:

The WM1 players will also display the new model in the Unit Information section:

1590903283519.png

May 31, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #38,582 of 45,723
Almost at the shop. I’ll take a picture or two for you guys. Any other closed cans you recommend to try with my 1A?

May 31, 2020 at 1:40 AM Post #38,583 of 45,723

NW Model Switcher

What is this?

The sound tunings are applied via the Software Update tool from Sony. If someone
has a WM1A, a WM1A code always has to be in the update files, not really allowing

Changing the model of a WM1A to WM1Z, for example, will allow us to skip the WM1A

A WM1A Universal would normally require a WM1A 00000000 line. After changing the model,

Also, after experimenting with this, it seems that the model of the device matters when the
Software Update applies the tuning. If you have a stock WM1A, and switch to WM1Z, it is not
enough. You will also have to reapply the stock tuning, and only then the change is noticed in
the audio - this is because when flashing the stock as WM1Z as opposed to WM1A, the tuning

The tool can be found here (click).

It should be simple, you'll only have to unpack the archive and launch (double-click) the
"nw_model_switcher_1.2" file. There is a menu set in the script, so everything should be
pretty straightforward.

After changing the model, you will have to restart the player and apply the stock firmware.

However, don't hesitate to ask any questions that may arise and feel free to experiment.
And I hope there are not errors I didn't notice or anything, took me long enough to try and

I also invite WM1A users who will change the model to WM1Z, to try the sound tuning
Does this mean we are able to trick the 1A to think that itself is a 1Z?

Edit: you just answered this. Thanks.

May 31, 2020 at 1:56 AM Post #38,585 of 45,723
Yep, and most importantly, we are able to trick the Software Update tool into applying tunings to a 1Z while we have a 1A.
Good stuff. Even tho the release said it won’t quite match it, I’m thinking others can judge with their ears and there is a good chance it can match the 1Z sound.

May 31, 2020 at 2:10 AM Post #38,587 of 45,723
May 31, 2020 at 2:17 AM Post #38,588 of 45,723
I just switched from E to J - this is closer to what the ZX300 sounded like, much more bass going on which is a good thing as E was really lacking in the lower frequencies.
When using the tool to bring up the player settings there were some codes under Destination/Headphones header, I was wondering what these are for?

May 31, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #38,589 of 45,723
Wow this place is heaven! Time to dig in!
28860BC4-50F5-4912-8387-F300780DBE28.jpeg
723427EE-CF8E-4327-9D73-0668979A2C65.jpeg
9163080A-AFE9-4FA6-AAB1-D0049229234A.jpeg

May 31, 2020 at 2:34 AM Post #38,591 of 45,723

NW Model Switcher

What is this?

The tool can be found here (click) (updated - v1.2.1)

pretty straightforward.

WM1Z.JPG

I'm on my way! :)

May the fun begin again!

Thanks @morgenstern09

May 31, 2020 at 2:51 AM Post #38,592 of 45,723
Audio Mecca of the world is in Japan for sure.
I usually spend a month there every year. Coming from a country with very little options, most things you can't even try, and of course having to order from overseas and wait for accessories Japan is a real treat. Being able to walk into e earphone or Yodobashi Camera and try anything, cable swap, choose from a range of accessories and not have to pay high prices and shipping with lengthy wait times is definitely a highlight of my life.
My Japanese is basically words and sign language so I really appreciate the time and patience of the girl at e earphone in Nagoya who spends time google translating on her phone in an effort to help me out.

May 31, 2020 at 3:17 AM Post #38,593 of 45,723

NW Model Switcher

What is this?

The tool can be found here (click) (updated - v1.2.1)

pretty straightforward.

This looks very promising! Thank you for sharing! Would this perhaps replace your WM1Az line of tunings?

May 31, 2020 at 3:19 AM Post #38,595 of 45,723
Every now and then you see news articles about people that marry their dolls, or have intimate times with their food processors... generally thinking, I think they’re completely bananas...

I might be having my mind changed for me though, @morgenstern09 1A to 1Z conversion is seemingly quite magical... I think this could be love!

If nothing else, it could’ve saved me the £2500 that I was going to spend on getting the 1Z

I’d love in time - from those lucky enough to own both, to see a direct comparison between the 1Az and 1Z, and also 1Za to 1A...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back