SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 14, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #34,321 of 45,723
Nahhhh don't need to exacerbate the issue. We simply have been under too much risk and pressure from the u know who.
Now it's time to step back, unload the burdens and let our community help each other.

the day I get my wm1a this happens ;_;
good luck to you and whitigir and lots of love thank you both for your hard work for this community (•_•)7

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #34,322 of 45,723
Hi guys, just one question: Is it still worth jumping on the Sony bandwagon this late? Should I invest in some other DAP like a AK SA700 or Sp1000M?
Does anyone have modded wm1a and how it compares to DAPs nowadays?

TBH I have an old Sony PCM M10 (the damn thing is indestructible), and still works perfectly fine. God bless Sony's craftsmanship.
The only thing I'm worried about is the 3.5mm jack and the solder losing its grip from a decade of abuse.

Mar 14, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #34,323 of 45,723
Hi guys, just one question: Is it still worth jumping on the Sony bandwagon this late? Should I invest in some other DAP like a AK SA700 or Sp1000M?

TBH I have an old Sony PCM M10 (the damn thing is indestructible), and still works perfectly fine. God bless Sony's craftsmanship.
The only thing I'm worried about is the 3.5mm jack and the solder losing its grip from a decade of abuse.

Cayin N8 came in for a review 2 days ago. First impression is that I like it more than Astell SP2000 (because it's more exciting) and Chord Hugo 2 (because it's warmer and more full bodied). It's not as technically proficient but it's not that far off and it's definately in the same league.

Compared to stock WM1A it's clearly better by quite a margin however compared to WM1A with modded firmware it's not that obvious anymore. They are also quite different and I didn't do all that much a/b comparisons but that's quite remarkable how much better WM1A gets. It really closes the gap to the big (and much more expensive) boys.

20200314_154237~01.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #34,324 of 45,723
That is up to Tier 3. I only see Romni Audio doing a Tier 4. I will list out the Tier differences here. This is due to the complexity on the performed works, and also the performances that scales up with it. This is from my own views, the modder may look at it differently :wink:. It is always a good idea to email them

Tier 1: Internal wires upgrades

Tier 2: Tier 1 and DC Ground upgrades for S-Master

Tier 3: Tier 1+ Tier 2 and Battery terminal wires upgrades. Also upgrades and refresh Solder joints. Magnetic shielding etc...

Tier 4: All the above with Capacitors upgrades for Power block and Output block

@Whitigir or anyone who knows, I saw mention of Tier 5 in some places.

Just wondering what T5 is and how it differs from T4? :)

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #34,326 of 45,723
Cayin N8 came in for a review 2 days ago. First impression is that I like it more than Astell SP2000 (because it's more exciting) and Chord Hugo 2 (because it's warmer and more full bodied). It's not as technically proficient but it's not that far off and it's definately in the same league.

Compared to stock WM1A it's clearly better by quite a margin however compared to WM1A with modded firmware it's not that obvious anymore. They are also quite different and I didn't do all that much a/b comparisons but that's quite remarkable how much better WM1A gets. It really closes the gap to the big (and much more expensive) boys.

20200314_154237~01.jpg

Have done a similar comparison n8 vs stock 1z and 1z still won !

I am glad I stayed with my lovely wm1z )

Mar 14, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #34,327 of 45,723

For me it's Sony's sound signature that draws, the build quality is top notch which I also appreciate. I recently wanted to upgrade my DAP, despite the numerous options I settled on the WM1A. I want my music on the DAP and long battery life, simple as that. Not in a position to comment on A&K, did pickup a FiiO M11 Pro, yet I far prefer the WM1A. The M11 Pro is extremely technically competent, however the magic is missing.

I wouldn't worry about the jacks as they can be replaced by a competent technician and Sony being Sony they will have longevity. The Signature Series IMO Sony absolutely stands behind, more so than most...

Q-6

Mar 14, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #34,328 of 45,723
Thanks so much for recommending me the CEV region. CEV + SolisT5 is amazing with my fourte black and 1z! Something feels more natural in the treble region with CEV vs J.
Solist5 with fourte black is really holographic even more then with my Trio Tomorrow will have a looonnnggg session with my new noire's yaaasss
When you tried my 1a at canjam, it happened to be on CEV (mine is a UK unit) , thinking about switching back to that now

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #34,329 of 45,723
When you tried my 1a at canjam, it happened to be on CEV (mine is a UK unit) , thinking about switching back to that now

It was very balanced flat as sound. Really sounded like A18T.
With 1z the sound is different but with cev the treble feels more natural dont know why I guess new iems doing that

Mar 14, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #34,331 of 45,723
It was very balanced flat as sound. Really sounded like A18T.
With 1z the sound is different but with cev the treble feels more natural dont know why I guess new iems doing that

Yet to try CEV, don't want to mix things up too quickly. Currently on stock 3.02 & J region. Happy to give it some time and then explore further....

Q-6

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #34,332 of 45,723
Yet to try CEV, don't want to mix things up too quickly. Currently on stock 3.02 & J region. Happy to give it some time and then explore further....

Q-6

Dude get jupiter t3 or solist5 asap ! ) ) )

Stock fw isnt as good as the new fw )

Mar 14, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #34,333 of 45,723
On WM1A/Z does switching to high gain also increase current to 4.4/3.5, or solely amplitude? QLS 361 has multiple options with high/low current differentiated from high/low gain options.

On WM1A (set to J region) with Dunu 3001 Pro & Campfire Andromeda, High Gain seems to be a touch more revealing, or is it just in my head? Pink Floyd's classic On The Run the train announcement appears to offer more clarity even with volume matching on high gain. Passing 100 hours WM1A started to sound a little thick too thick on J region, passing 120 opening out again.

All tracks DSD@5.6MHz

Q-6

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #34,334 of 45,723
Dude get jupiter t3 or solist5 asap ! ) ) )

Stock fw isnt as good as the new fw )

All in good time. The solar system is in a very safe place be assured of that, Cats out the bag....

Q-6

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #34,335 of 45,723
fans of ambient/electronica , this is a STELLAR compilation

for just 7$ , you buy 2 hours of sonic bliss

but don't hear me , hear for yourselves.... (@Whitigir you 're gonna love this....check it out)

click on the top part of the image to go to the bandcamp page

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back